Who likes Simmons broadheads?

I’m thinking of switching things up this year. Headed toward an Easton axis 400 arrow, 50 grain insert, 165 grain Tiger Shark broadhead or possibly the 175 Swamp Shark. I’ve been playing with 340’s and have them tuned but it just seems like the 400’s shoot a little bit better and a little easier to tune. I’ve been shooting the 150 cutthroat’s but the price is now getting too much for me. I have a friend that swears by his Simmons broadheads. Interested in who shoots them and which one and real world experiences with them.

Gen273

WKR
It has been a few days, but I have killed several with sharks; mainly the 165 Land Shark. They are a little tricky to sharpen, but they fly great and make a good hole.

OP
B
Thanks for the responses. I’ve never heard any negative things about them either. Sharpening isn’t a problem being a commercial meat processor. I have a lot of different sharpening tools like stones, electric wheels, steels, bench grinder, electric sandpaper (my favorite). Keep the comments coming and pics if anyone has them.

Down to my last 340’s so will be switching to 400’s soon.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan of Simmons. Killed several deer with them so far and don't see myself switching to anything else. I've tried several different kinds but always come back to those Simmons.

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pack. I couldn’t get them as sharp as I wanted. Tried the Rada sharpener, but I couldn’t get the process down.

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man just letting ya know I’m right there with ya! No experience yet but I’ve heard such good things I’m gonna make the swap this year.

As far as sharpening goes I was told to use a chainsaw file until I have a bur then swap to a ceramic rod for finishing. Plan to hunt elk and whitetails with my setup this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I shoot them with my recurve rig. I have at least 100 different broadheads and these are what I chose to take. I run them footed and find them easy to sharpen and with the worksharp guided field sharpener, I can lap on the heads between calling sessions for therapy and shaving sharpness.

They're easily worth the $$. Screenshot_20230522-064034_Gallery.jpg

I used to shoot Simmons. I got sick of resharpening them every time I got done with a hunt. They dull very quickly in the foam of a quiver.

If they were a steel that could take a 58-60 Rockwell hardness I’d still be shooting them.

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot Simmons. I got sick of resharpening them every time I got done with a hunt. They dull very quickly in the foam of a quiver.

If they were a steel that could take a 58-60 Rockwell hardness I’d still be shooting them.

Ive got a kiln and heat treat setup in my knife shop I’ve honestly thought about heat treating them to see if I could get them harder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been shooting the Simmons Interceptors for over 20 years now. Killed everything with them. Probably the toughest head you can find. They are easy to sharpen with the Rada sharpening tool. I shoot the 190gr screw-in. Personally met Jerry Simmons who invented them years ago. Became very good friends with him until he was killed in an auto accident.

They are such a tremendous head. I shoot 2 blade with no bleeders.

Jerry tested them on concrete blocks and metal drums. Unbelievable how tough they are.

Shane

OP
B
Sharpening doesn’t bother me since I’ve sharpened broadheads for many years now and knives everyday of my life for 33 years. I started bare shaft tuning last night and was surprised to find my 400 axis to be weak. 340 shot better with 175 grain fieldpoint and 50 gr brass insert. So, 340’s it will be and a 175 grain swamp shark.

I shot a buck with one of the 175 grain heads a few years ago. It was pretty epic

I mainly use Iron Wills but for a more affordable option I really like Simmons. Especially if I'm hunting property lines and need the deer to be dead instantly.

ledflight

WKR
I haven't shot them, finally got a method down to sharpen them to satisfaction for my sharpening challenged self.
It seems like they are an outlier in consistently producing lots of blood.