What's the craziest thing you've ever used your gear for that had nothing to do with the outdoors?

When it started raining and I pulled out the portaroof at the soccer game, I learned that I am not meant to go out into public settings.

Even my wife wouldn't sit next to me....

Everyone else was wearing trash bags looking like human garbage cans....

SonnyDay

WKR
Used my rod with a treble hook lure to fish my son's phone out of a post he decided to drop it down the inside of...

JKnight

FNG
It's not crazy, but a jetboil is a great baby bottle warmer. I keep one in the truck at all times, and I get weird looks using a jetboil in a grocery store parking lot.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
It's not crazy, but a jetboil is a great baby bottle warmer. I keep one in the truck at all times, and I get weird looks using a jetboil in a grocery store parking lot.
When the coffeemaker at my last unit died, I walked into the building that morning and there were probably a dozen jetboils and aero presses sitting out from people making coffee.

For me, sleeping bags. My heat quit working two winters ago and it was getting down into the 30s in my apartment. Ended up using a sleeping bag at night until it got fixed.

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
i broke my truck jack getting unstuck by myself way up a mountain road in a snow storm with temps falling fast to below zero. a couple hours later i had a blow out further down the road.

i changed the tire with a saw to cut some cribbage and a shovel to dig a hole out under the flat tire. i carry an extra jack now. extra spare too.

edit. i didn’t follow directions after reading the op 😂

tuffcity

WKR
I was redoing a set of outside stairs up to a deck and required the use of a 3/8" drill bit for a bolt. Didn't have one... light bulb came on and I retrieved a .357 revolver out of my safe. Boom, hole exactly where I needed it. Living rural is good. :)

Vaultman

WKR
When it started raining and I pulled out the portaroof at the soccer game, I learned that I am not meant to go out into public settings.

Even my wife wouldn't sit next to me....

Everyone else was wearing trash bags looking like human garbage cans....
Sounds exactly like something I would do. Laughing at all the garbage can people, and wondering why my wife wouldn't be proud to sit with her always prepared husband!?

mi650

WKR
Only thing that comes to mind, does a couple 30 rd mags from an AR thru the hard drive on a laptop count? Daddy/daughter project.

I host a get together every summer for a bunch of buddies, shooting, grilling/smoking, drinking... Last summer I had several hard drives from work to dispose of, so we used my Benelli M4, Tavor TS-12 and 00.

mi650

WKR
I was just recently married and my wife and I were renting a very run-down “starter house”. I was running a mouse trapline and catching quite a few. As we were on the couch watching TV one evening I heard a trap snap in the attic and the sound of the still alive mouse dragging the trap across the floor. He got to the edge and fell down next to the chimney inside the wall before he finally died. Wife didn’t want to keep a dead-mouse air freshener in the wall. I went out to the garage and got my AquaView underwater camera and a daredevil in a couple yards of line. Dropped the camera down to see where Mr. Mouse had finally expired. Was able to drop the treble hook and daredevil right on top and snag him first try. I’d probably still be there swiping if I had to snag him blind.
This reminds me of one: I shot a squirrel with a .22 and he made it up and then down inside a broken tree. It was a big oak that broke off about 20' up, the top was still attached where it broke with the top laying on the ground at about a 30 deg angle. I shimmied up to get the squirrel, looked down at it was hollow all the way to the ground. I got back down, walked 1/2 mile to my truck at got a snagging hook and some fishing line. 1/2 mile walk back out to the woods, shimmied back up and snagged the squirrel.

Then I sat back down, finished hunting for the afternoon, and got 3 more squirrels. I've only taken head shots since then.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I used FatCamp's nicest glassing tripod to hang my cloth bag of freshly boiled wild plum pre-jelly mess to get drippings/juice... takes a few hours to completely drain & is a bit sticky. Had to wash it (tripod) twice afterwards to get it clean. Not sure if I asked/told him or not.

Loper

WKR
When the last hurricane came through and knocked out power, my wife was happy I had a jet boil for coffee in the morning and headlamps at night.

Planning on taking my Sawyer water filter next month when heading to Central America. Montezuma’s revenge is not the souvenir I want to bring back home.

ODB

WKR
When the last hurricane came through and knocked out power, my wife was happy I had a jet boil for coffee in the morning and headlamps at night.

Planning on taking my Sawyer water filter next month when heading to Central America. Montezuma’s revenge is not the souvenir I want to bring back home.

Yup. Having nice camp cool stuff makes lights out an adventure. I also carry a small stove/good kit on every long trip I make. If I want coffee in the middle of nowhere, dammit I have it…

As far as traveling stomach ailments, take a look a colostrum based supplements and a product called Dia-Resq. It worked really well for me in Africa.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider

I use my MSR Reactor on trips to boil water once a day to fill a 1 Gallon insulated jug. Use the jug to warm up baby bottles. Works fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I needed to trim few limbs off a large tree in my yard and tried numerous times to get a throw-line over a limb above the ones I wanted to trim, without success. It was just too high and on a side hill. So, I tied the throw-line to one an old arrow and shot it over the limb with one of my old longbows. It bought back memories of when I was a kid playing with a homemade bow and arrows.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting with my brother back in the 80's in Wyoming. We always took a camp box with all of our cooking stuff. Its burgers first night out and the grill is hot over the fire. On go the burgers and we're getting excited. Time to flip 'em there's no spatula in the camp box! Oops! Time is now of the essence and I look down and use the axe to turn the burgers......SAVE!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I was just recently married and my wife and I were renting a very run-down “starter house”. I was running a mouse trapline and catching quite a few. As we were on the couch watching TV one evening I heard a trap snap in the attic and the sound of the still alive mouse dragging the trap across the floor. He got to the edge and fell down next to the chimney inside the wall before he finally died. Wife didn’t want to keep a dead-mouse air freshener in the wall. I went out to the garage and got my AquaView underwater camera and a daredevil in a couple yards of line. Dropped the camera down to see where Mr. Mouse had finally expired. Was able to drop the treble hook and daredevil right on top and snag him first try. I’d probably still be there swiping if I had to snag him blind.
Drag hooks made from coat hangers.

1) Headlamps gets used regularly around the house and RVing with the family
2) Binoculars and tripod at kids sporting events.
3) Backpack get used at work.
4) Raingear gets used at work, ball games, and around the house.
5) Kids ask for my leukotape all the time.
6) Fishing poles have helped me tie off trees so they come down the direction I want them to go.
I’m sure I could think of more…