Crazy Big Game Draw Stories

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm sitting here contemplating the financial implications of drawing multiple tags in New Mexico this year, just wondering if anybody has any crazy stories about drawing multiple "once-in-lifetime" type tags in one season, or maybe drawing the same tag twice in two years, ect. Anybody got any stories?

CorbLand

WKR
Did the divorce papers come in October or Feb? Haha man you could devote a year to scouting for that hunt!
He is still married. I think the brand new house he built right after helped some.

Should have added that in that same time frame he flew to Sheep Show, bought 200 bucks worth of tickets (because his wife told him to) and won a musk ox hunt.

Broomd

WKR
Wife and I put in for OIL tags for the first time in April of '09 here in Idaho. These were actually our first tags ever applied for in this state.
As luck would have it we both drew, mountain goat for her, cali bighorn for me, made for a very crazy season. Many road miles getting to our units, many boot miles to our game. Tough hunts, great memories.
I was fortunate to draw all ID OIL tags in the next nine seasons.

Last edited:
I have a friend that drew a CO RM Big Horn and AZ Desert Big Horn in 2022 at age 39. Both NR tags. I think one of the hunting magazines did a story on it. He killed a pile of other stuff with his Dad and brother that year too.

In 2018 we just wanted our first kid so there was no planning. Two days before draw results came out in February it was official one was on the way. Then we found out my wife drew a very good walk in Mountain Goat tag with well under 1% draw odds. She trained all summer for it and got the blessing from her Dr to do the hunt 34 weeks pregnant. She hiked in 6 miles to where the zone was and slept on the ground 3 nights. Typically the unit has very accessible goats down low come October, but our only shot was opening weekend in early September. The weather was HOT and sunny. Goats were way up in the cliffs so we never found a Billy in a safe enough spot to put a move on. She still holds hope to draw it again. I plan to buy it one year as a governor tag for her. I’ve been outbid a couple times by just a few grand.

Wheels

WKR
Drew an archery elk tag in the Gila 11 times out of 12 years applying as a non resident.
Not really luck at the time but virtually impossible now...
BTW, have only drawn a tag twice since 2004.

nobody

WKR
Back in 2012, Dad drew an Utah Premium Limited Entry mule deer tag, he had been applying for like 12 years and was excited about the tag. He was 42 at the time and in great shape (still is as a cycler) and had the time off. About a half hour after finding out he drew the tag, his dad called him to let him know he had drawn an Utah Once in a Lifetime Shiras moose tag. Grandpa was in his mid 70s at the time and had/still has tons of mobility/health/pain issues. Grandpa basically called and told dad “I drew the tag, you and your boys have gotta get me a bull.” Dad agreed but you could see the sadness in his eyes, as he didn’t have the time or resources to dedicate to BOTH hunts, and turned back the tag to help out his dad. Dad still hasn’t drawn that deer again after another 12 years, and the unit he wanted and drew at the time has since fallen off a cliff and isn’t what it used to be.

But hey, Grandpa killed a giant 8 year old (if memory serves correct) bull moose, so that’s awesome.

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I have a friend in AZ that has drawn antelope, bison, RM sheep, and desert sheep in AZ, all with well below max points. I believe he drew the sheep with something like 7 and 12 points. Yeah he's a resident, but still.

ODB

WKR
Not me, but a friend’s wife drew an Idaho once in a lifetime moose tag. The following year, he drew it- I went on the hunt with him because the guy he was supposed to go with had a last minute change that prevented him from going. The following year, the guy who couldn’t go on the hunt the year before drew it. All three hunts were successful.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Drew two aoudad hunts with less 2% draw odds a couple of years apart. Drew a bull elk tag with 6% draw odds then the same tag the next year with 8% draw odds. The only draw elk tags I've ever had.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
All I got is a OIL Oryx tag 2nd time applying.
Have never drawn a NM Elk tag.
Just in for deer this year.
These multiple tag stories are mind blowing.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Not nearly as great a story as above but 4 years ago I drew a NR elk tag in unit 36 NM. First time applying since leaving NM in the 90s after being stationed at Kirtland AFB.

At the time I had no idea just how lucky I was to have drawn the tag.

I drew Idaho mountain goat and my brother drew Idaho moose in the same season. His was on his first year applying. He went with me on my goat hunt in September then I went back with him for his moose hunt in October. It was a hell of a season but apparently we both used up all our draw luck that year because we haven't drawn much to speak of since.

TXCO

WKR
I believe that was @TXCO here on Rokslide
Yes that was me! I got some great help from Rokslide and another forum. Here's the rokslide link to my Shiras September writeup - https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/a-shiras-september.330263/

I attempted to back calculate the odds which wasn't perfect when you factor in NR caps vs units caps but I came up with 1 in 34.3 million. We had a newborn and a 3 year old. To say my wife is a Saint in an understatement.

I read an article last year of a guy who drew basically 5 OIL tags in one year including 2 sheep and a goat. I think the other 2 were AZ and MT Breaks elk.