CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

It’s only one stamp payment per year, you would know this if you apply for or hunt multiple species, there is also the requirement to buy a small game annual license but that is just another hunting opportunity and not related to points, don’t have to buy it for OTC hunting, there you only pay the $10 stamp.
Can you apply for points without a qualifying license? Nope. So how is that not related to points?

And for the record depending on how the law was worded this change should have probably happened awhile back. Whether during every new 5 year season structure or reevaluate every year.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah it was an up hill battle to stop it for sure but this is also the group that will possibly determine the future of hunting in CO. Just think back to Spring bear hunting and how it was canceled by the front range at a time it was more conservative.

I would say worrying about nonresident tag allocations is far from the big concern residents should have and what they should be fighting for.
So maybe it would be best to try to recruit new residents that have similar views vs saying nonresident hunters are an issue, to me resident non hunters are your bigger issue.
Well how do we recruit more residents to hunt when the lions share of tags in most units go to NR, ( 35% plus factor in the 20% off the top of landowner that go mostly to NR or second choice units or otc ) when crowding is getting so bad that many hunters will get discouraged on their first trip out. I will say that many have moved to the state for hunting and us as Resident hunters are doing a good job as ambassadors to the resident non hunters, we being good stewards are the only thing that’s holding back the dam. If we could could get more tags to secure more hunts for those that live here it would go a long way to ensuring we can hunt Co for years to come

tdhanses

WKR
Well how do we recruit more residents to hunt when the lions share of tags in most units go to NR, when crowding is getting so bad that many hunters will get discouraged on their first trip out. I will say that many have moved to the state for hunting and us as Resident hunters are doing a good job as ambassadors to the resident non hunters, we being good stewards are the only thing that’s holding back the dam. If we could could get more tags to secure more hunts for those that live here it would go a long way to ensuring we can hunt Co for years to come
Recruit us NR 🤔😜 From what I understand the only way more then 35% of draw tags will go to NR is because not enough residents apply for the unit’s this happens in, OTC doesn’t count as it doesn’t hold back anyone.

There is plenty of opportunity for Residents in CO, maybe not trophy unit opportunities but there are opportunities and NR never will get the lions share of tags even if every unit was 65/35, unless all the residents apply for a handful of units, but then that’s just making a poor decision.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Recruit us NR 🤔😜
Haha hey man come be a full time resident at your property out here. I think all is Co want is a better spot in line since we live here, just like wyo. There will be plenty of tags to go around for NR hunters. We just think that maybe since you are visiting we should keep a little more of the choice cuts for those who are closest to fighting to keep hunting open.

Last year we fended off an attack on cat hunting but that was only because it was proposed by legislators. I myself raised hell and I know a lot of sportsmen on the frontrange did too to squash that

tdhanses

WKR
Haha hey man come be a full time resident at your property out here. I think all is Co want is a better spot in line since we live here, just like wyo. There will be plenty of tags to go around for NR hunters. We just think that maybe since you are visiting we should keep a little more of the choice cuts for those who are closest to fighting to keep hunting open.

Last year we fended off an attack on cat hunting but that was only because it was proposed by legislators. I myself raised hell and I know a lot of sportsmen on the frontrange did too to squash that
I will be one eventually, just waiting on the kids to fly the nest.

tdhanses

WKR
So what your telling me is 80/20 across the board is draw units is a good idea ;) haha
Actually, I’m ok with that but I have a hard time building points, they burn a hole in my pocket in CO.

The main unit I hunt residents run away from 😂 my guess is too many Texans hunt it 😂

I thought in the years that I prepaid I received a check minus some administrative fees. It wasn't much, but preference points weren't free. Maybe it was $36?

The years where if you held a qualifying license the year before were great, now it's a steady 120 ish to get points after your small game purchase.

Cheaper than several other states.

Jaquomo

WKR
Move to CO if you can afford it. I just sold a little mountain cabin on 1.6 acres for $600K. Way cheaper to live in (pick your midwestern state) and pay NR license fees than to live here. Only reason I'm not selling everything and moving to WY is because I'm too vested here and too old to uproot everything.

tdhanses

WKR
I thought in the years that I prepaid I received a check minus some administrative fees. It wasn't much, but preference points weren't free. Maybe it was $36?

The years where if you held a qualifying license the year before were great, now it's a steady 120 ish to get points after your small game purchase.

The conservation stamp was never refundable and S&R, might of been an admin fee as well.

tdhanses

WKR
Move to CO if you can afford it. I just sold a little mountain cabin on 1.6 acres for $600K. Way cheaper to live in (pick your midwestern state) and pay NR license fees than to live here. Only reason I'm not selling everything and moving to WY is because I'm too vested here and too old to uproot everything.
Wonder what my 4 acres with a direct view of a 14er would be worth these days, not selling though. I’ve considered selling it and investing in WY but I still think it’s worth keeping for now.

But you aren’t buying a house on 1.6 acres in the KC area for 600k, that would be a crazy good deal. I guarantee the same inexpensive areas in KS are pretty much the same inexpensive areas in CO, far western KS and far eastern CO. Nice locations anywhere are expensive these days.

sndmn11

WKR

It's either $7 or $9 for an application fee per species for resident and non-resident respectively.

The guy who said he is thousands of dollars into preference points has been applying since before the new world was discovered.