CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

cnelk

WKR

Gapmaster

WKR
I’m a non resident and I agree that there should be changes. It is ridiculous for residents to not be able to get tags or deal with the over crowding. I feel it in my home state at times.

But… I also hunt strictly on Federally owned land and I also pay an astronomically higher tag fee to hunt on that federal land (Colorado is 120% higher). Don’t forget the revenue that is pumped into every little mountain town each fall. It’s quite a bit for those people. Be it gas stations, motels, grocery stores etc. If you want to limit NR in favor of more residents, I understand. But the problem isn’t the NRs. The problem is mismanagement by the state in every aspect. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. No doubt it has become crazy in the last 15 years or so.

I hate to lose opportunities to chase animals, once they are gone, they’ll never come back. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. The losers are our children and their children. They’ll never know mountains without pressure.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
But… I also hunt strictly on Federally owned land and I also pay an astronomically higher tag fee to hunt on that federal land (Colorado is 120% higher). Don’t forget the revenue that is pumped into every little mountain town each fall. It’s quite a bit for those people. Be it gas stations, motels, grocery stores etc.

Residents aren't immune from buying gas, housing, or groceries. We also pay CO state taxes that non-residents are immune to . I am certain residents pump a whole heck of a lot more revenue into the state than non-residents.

Gapmaster

WKR
Residents aren't immune from buying gas, housing, or groceries. We also pay CO state taxes that non-residents are immune to . I am certain residents pump a whole heck of a lot more revenue into the state than non-residents.
No I’m not saying you don’t. But to ignore the influx of revenue that NR hunters bring would be ignorant. Obviously residents buy more goods and pay more taxes. I live in a semi “tourist” area and the revenue brought in by NR hunters and fishermen drastically help support tons of small businesses in our area. I’m just saying there has to be a middle ground. I see your concerns and they are relevant. But just because I don’t live in a state shouldn’t keep me from being able to enjoy federal ground and it’s resources in said state. There should be limitations no doubt. What those are? No state seems to have figured that one out yet IMHO.

sndmn11

WKR
No I’m not saying you don’t. But to ignore the influx of revenue that NR hunters bring would be ignorant. Obviously residents buy more goods and pay more taxes. I live in a semi “tourist” area and the revenue brought in by NR hunters and fishermen drastically help support tons of small businesses in our area. I’m just saying there has to be a middle ground. I see your concerns and they are relevant. But just because I don’t live in a state shouldn’t keep me from being able to enjoy federal ground and it’s resources in said state. There should be limitations no doubt. What those are? No state seems to have figured that one out yet IMHO.

You can enjoy the federal ground, however you don't have a right to the state's animals when you already have a right to your state's animals.

There doesn't have to be any middle ground. The revenue aspect shouldn't cause confusion between privilege and a right. There also are a cool round zero towns in the state of Colorado that rely on hunters; don't confuse hunting with skiing.

I see they added pronghorn on there as well.

I would suspect the outfitter Lobby was part of the reason wanting more NR to draw. They are much more likely to go guided.

Archer86

WKR
But the problem isn’t the NRs. The problem is mismanagement by the state in every aspect. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. No doubt it has become crazy in the last 15 years or so.

I hate to lose opportunities to chase animals, once they are gone, they’ll never come back. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. The losers are our children and their children. They’ll never know mountains without pressure.
The problem is the nr no matter how you look at it the number of nr trying to hunt the west is not sustainable look how many tags colorado sells to nr, look how many nr are buying preference points in wyoming just because the number of nr hunters are going up doesn't mean those states that offer that hunting need to offer more nr opportunities. I agree it was a managment issue colorado should have managed nr otc tags many years ago instead they just let it go unchecked and created the disaster you have today.

When they eliminate otc tags it's not the end of the world they will set a cap and you apply with points and will likely still be able to hunt every year if you want just wont be able to build points and hunt otc

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Nice, a Colorado resident bashing thread. Wyoming folks are tired of them for sure, the resident bashing threads.
Remember folks it is settled law that state get to discriminate against NRs in license allocations.
Come on out and camp or hike, skiing is great also. To hunt you have to abide by the state's allocations and rules for NR hunting.
Tourism pays more to each state than NR hunting by the way.

Overdrive

WKR
I’m a non resident and I agree that there should be changes. It is ridiculous for residents to not be able to get tags or deal with the over crowding. I feel it in my home state at times.

But… I also hunt strictly on Federally owned land and I also pay an astronomically higher tag fee to hunt on that federal land (Colorado is 120% higher). Don’t forget the revenue that is pumped into every little mountain town each fall. It’s quite a bit for those people. Be it gas stations, motels, grocery stores etc. If you want to limit NR in favor of more residents, I understand. But the problem isn’t the NRs. The problem is mismanagement by the state in every aspect. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. No doubt it has become crazy in the last 15 years or so.

I'd sure like to see how you came up with Colorado being 120% higher in tag fees than other states

Colorado $700.98
Wyoming $692
Montana $971.50
Idaho $651.75
New Mexico $548-$773 depending on tag type
Utah $800-$1000 depending on tag type
Arizona $650

This doesn't include additional hunt license fee, application fee which most other states add on, Colorado you don't have to pay the extra fee's with an OTC license.