CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

It's either $7 or $9 for an application fee per species for resident and non-resident respectively.

The guy who said he is thousands of dollars into preference points has been applying since before the new world was discovered.

I think it's $9. But 15 years ago I thought it was different.

Maybe it was just minuscule stamp fee, but I remember sending them money, then getting a refund and it was like $40 different per tag.

But that's been a number of years now, is one state out of several and things could be mixed up.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
It gets old listening to the CO residents blame the overcrowding issues on NRs. We don’t set any rules we just have to play by them. We buy the added fishing license or small game license, even though most will never waste their time hunting rabbits or pursuing the beautiful 7” trout in your magnificent waters. We pay whatever fee is asked and most NR hunters I meet are happy at the opportunity to occasionally pursue elk and be out in the mountains…even though most don’t kill an elk or leave the main trails. Meanwhile residents usually complain about overcrowding and no elk and it’s all NRs fault…this goes beyond hunting to visiting popular destinations around town and such. Most of these “residents” haven’t lived in CO longer than most NRs have been hunting there yet they’ve got a strong stench of entitlement surrounding themselves. Any negative encounters (few) I’ve experienced in the CO mountains involved residents…usually granola types with large barking dogs off leash in the wilderness.
I don’t blame residents for wanting more opportunities to hunt, don’t we all, but the overcrowding that effects my hunts is not the fault of NRs.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t disagree.
It’s obvious…more demand than supply of “quality” elk hunts to be had. The problem is complex but the answer is not blaming R or NR hunters, we’re all trying to enjoy the same thing

3forks

WKR
That’s easy to say if you’re not the one who has invested several thousands of dollars into the point systems only to have the rug pulled out from under your feet at the 5 yard line.

First Wyoming does it, and now Colorado.

Several of us NR hunters are sour, and rightfully so if you had as much money wrapped up in the points systems as some of us have over 10+ years.

Of course I’m looking out for myself first. Do you think I invested thousand last of dollars into a points system to support decreasing my chances to draw a tag?

I waited my turn in line, paid the fees, played by the rules, and then I am punished for it by getting moved back in line. Then when I get closer, the rules change again. So, ya, it really is about me, and many other NR’s just like me.
If you get this worked up over CPW needing to re-assess the resident / non-resident preference point allocation; you’re really going to be pissed when you find out that despite all the dollars you‘ve been paying into social security - there’s going to be a reduction in the benefit you receive at retirement (if the system doesn’t collapse entirely). Also, I‘m going to guess the federal government will be even less receptive to your complaints than us residents or CPW.

tdhanses

WKR
I don’t disagree.
It’s obvious…more demand than supply of “quality” elk hunts to be had. The problem is complex but the answer is not blaming R or NR hunters, we’re all trying to enjoy the same thing
Truthfully trophy units are the downfall, we should be managing for wildlife health not trophy potential, if they stopped this more tags would be available and draw odds substantially reduced.

tdhanses

WKR
If you get this worked up over CPW needing to re-assess the resident / non-resident preference point allocation; you’re really going to be pissed when you find out that despite all the dollars you‘ve been paying into social security - there’s going to be a reduction in the benefit you receive at retirement (if the system doesn’t collapse entirely). Also, I‘m going to guess the federal government will be even less receptive to your complaints than us residents or CPW.
But hey we’ll still have public lands right 😂 My guess is the majority of society would sell all public lands to try and save social security but it wouldn’t help with the gov spending cash like there is unlimited cash.

This thread is a great example of why, in the end, hunters will lose the privilege. Think the people trying to end hunting are attacking each other about resident vs non resident funding?

Rich M

WKR
We knew OTC was going by-by.

Every online persona said to use CO as a fallback and go every year OTC. I dare say hunting will be better without that.

They’ll probably increase license rates too.

Rich M

WKR
It's either $7 or $9 for an application fee per species for resident and non-resident respectively.

The guy who said he is thousands of dollars into preference points has been applying since before the new world was discovered.
When i bought a point inhad to buy a license first. $120-ish for the point.

Reread the regulations.

Rich M

WKR
This thread is a great example of why, in the end, hunters will lose the privilege. Think the people trying to end hunting are attacking each other about resident vs non resident funding?
The WY crap was worse. But we’re just getting started here.

sndmn11

WKR
When i bought a point inhad to buy a license first. $120-ish for the point.

Reread the regulations.

C'mon now, I read really well and know the regulations. Everything else you paid was to buy something else. If you don't believe that, buy your fishing license and required habitat stamp separately from your big game application(s) and you suddenly have "invested" 90% less.

Screenshot_20221231-183645.png

C'mon now, I read really well and know the regulations. Everything else you paid was to buy something else. If you don't believe that, buy your fishing license and required habitat stamp separately from your big game application(s) and you suddenly have "invested" 90% less.

View attachment 494387

How is being required to buy a small game not part of the cost of getting a point?

I ain't coming out there to shoot marmots in the summer.

I guess I need to deduct the cost of me fishing license too, since that's something else I'm getting.
Even tho I find fishing to be the biggest waste of beer drinking time.

sndmn11

WKR
How is being required to buy a small game not part of the cost of getting a point?

I guess I need to deduct the cost of me fishing license too, since that's something else I'm getting.

Cause it's the required cost to hunt small game?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

You got it all wrong! Without a fishing pole you would just look crazy sitting on a shore or standing in the middle of a stream with a beer in hand.