CPW - ‘Righting’ some Wrongs

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Residents spend as much or more in those small little mountain towns. Probably more because they go more often and noone ever brings that aspect up.
Did someone really think a few dozen hunters passing through buying gas and a sandwich keeps mountain towns alive in Colorado?

I might log off and chuckle myself to sleep.

sneaky

"DADDY"
As a NR I would pay
3500 for a decent AZ Elk tag
70000 for a top tier .
2000 for colorado bull elk (otc unit)
3500 for New Mexico
Utah 7000
Nevada 7000
If you miss one year - you loose all bonus points. Cost to apply is a flat $500 tax deductible donation to the state you are applying for.
Resident fees can stay the same .
$70000 for an elk in AZ? You've lost your freaking mind. Go shoot one, the fine won't be close to $70000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Did someone really think a few dozen hunters passing through buying gas and a sandwich keeps mountain towns alive in Colorado?

I might log off and chuckle myself to sleep.

Not just kept alive, but, "revenue that is pumped into every little mountain town".

I think some would be shocked by the summer traffic jams in most CO towns and highways, fall leaf viewer traffic, winter ski traffic. About the only times I don't have to plan for traffic is April/May and Oct/Early Nov.

sundance1

FNG
Lived in Colorado my whole life and was a time i was proud to be a Coloradoan. Between the marijuana stores all over the state, wolves on the horizon, the ultra liberal east slope that controls us conservatives, I mostly just hide out anymore. And the CPW, through the Wildlife Commission and state legislature have prostituted the wildlife. Hunters, in and out of state are on the end of the same rope that demands more and more money for worse hunting experiences. As i've stated, the governor now appoints members to the Wildlife Commission, and if you got a liberal governor?? What i think is changing slowly is that hunters are getting fed up enough with the lack of animals and the excess of hunters that they are getting involved through hammering at the folks in charge through emails, phone calls, etc. I told guys last summer who were pissed about the tag allocation that the only thing they can do is email CPW directly, Email the Wildlife Commission, and the same to their state representative. If the out of state hunters were to do the same, voicing their complaints, and also telling them that you would pay more for licensing if the hunting was better?? Even if out of state hunters who are members of a local sportsman organization would have the organization start emailing said entities, it would carry weight. What would be even better is if in state and out of state hunters could partner to come up with solutions that makes everybody happy. The biggest issue that residents have with out of state hunters is the fact that more and more out of state "big" money is coming in and leasing up chunks of ground bordering forest and blm land. Then they start locking gates on access roads and just throwing their weight around because they got $$ to back them up. To really protect and assure that there is hunting for future generations, I really really believe that it is going to take cooperated representation in each and every state between out and in state hunters. There are changes coming in Colorado, and believe me, I am ass bruised from falling out of my chair that they are finally listening to us. And why? Because residents are finally making their voice heard. The next big issue as i see it, minus the wolves, is point creep. The bottle neck on some of the quality units is not resolving itself. My solution, and one I did my regular bitch sessions with the local field officers is to designate a couple of more units as quality units and raise the price of the tags on quality units. With elk especially, every hunter wants to have a couple of hunts in their lifetime where there are many bulls and the chance for a 340 plus bull. I,ve been fortunate to have two hunts in unit 61 and even if I only tagged out on a couple of 330 bulls, they were priceless hunts. What would I pay for that? A hell of a lot more than i did. So if Mr out of state hunter will pay more to hunt if the hunting is better, he needs to start letting the CPW know that. As it stands now, and any government entiity always over reacts, a 90-10 split on tags is too aggressive, something along a 70-30 is fairer, and generates more revenue, but Colorado copycats a lot from other states. We shall see.

Hnthrdr

WKR
As a NR I would pay
3500 for a decent AZ Elk tag
70000 for a top tier .
2000 for colorado bull elk (otc unit)
3500 for New Mexico
Utah 7000
Nevada 7000
If you miss one year - you loose all bonus points. Cost to apply is a flat $500 tax deductible donation to the state you are applying for.
Resident fees can stay the same .
I know an outfitter in AZ that averaged 390 on 5 bulls taken during archery, you can give me the 70k and I’ll line up a hunt with him for you… or you could pay him 25k and go hunting

sundance1

FNG
And some of them stay, buy a house or some land, real estate goes through the roof, and bring their liberal ways with them, and before you know it, what was once an area of miners, ranchers, 3rd and 4th generation residents, is now ran by liberals. Battles rage over land use codes between the farmers and ranchers and the liberal left. Use of forest land triples overnight. Trails you would walk 15 years ago in silence are now a mini highway of people. Trailheads are packed with vehicles from all across the US. And we wonder why hunting in parts of this state are in the tank. Who can blame Mr, Bull Elk for getting in the deepest, darkest hole he can find and shutting up the bugle box. I want to get in there with him and just hang out and bitch together about damn human intrusion.

Hnthrdr

WKR
And some of them stay, buy a house or some land, real estate goes through the roof, and bring their liberal ways with them, and before you know it, what was once an area of miners, ranchers, 3rd and 4th generation residents, is now ran by liberals. Battles rage over land use codes between the farmers and ranchers and the liberal left. Use of forest land triples overnight. Trails you would walk 15 years ago in silence are now a mini highway of people. Trailheads are packed with vehicles from all across the US. And we wonder why hunting in parts of this state are in the tank. Who can blame Mr, Bull Elk for getting in the deepest, darkest hole he can find and shutting up the bugle box. I want to get in there with him and just hang out and bitch together about damn human intrusion.
^this is the truth…

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I live in "the heart of the rockies" in South Central CO, have a Ski mtn 30 minutes away. It's insane the amount of people coming through our little town almost year round. Absolutely insane
I just find it insulting when NR state that our "podunk" towns are only kept alive by their subway sandwich purchase.

I live in "the heart of the rockies" in South Central CO, have a Ski mtn 30 minutes away. It's insane the amount of people coming through our little town almost year round. Absolutely insane
Which is why, when I visit, I stay at my cabin 35 miles from the closest town.

As a NR, I feel they should raise prices for OTC tags to at least the average of the other states. Because (and I am guilty of this), Colorado OTC is always the backup plan if MT or WY etc Is not drawn. If i was willing to drop 1100 bucks on a "general draw", i'm willing to pay ~900 to 1100 for an OTC tag to have the opportunity to hunt elk. Most NR hunters aren't trophy hunters and just want an opportunity to hunt elk and fill the freezer, and CO, for now is the only place you can hunt OTC. So it shouldn't, in my opinion, be one of the cheapest.

Since I only archery hunt, and don't rifle hunt, i selfishly would be ok with doing away with a lot of the NR OTC Rifle opportunities for the good of the herd since rifle success rates are higher. But i know thats just being selfish, but I do think that due to the difference in success rates archery OTC opportunities can remain plentiful and maybe look at restricting rifle a little more.

sundance1

FNG
As a NR, I feel they should raise prices for OTC tags to at least the average of the other states. Because (and I am guilty of this), Colorado OTC is always the backup plan if MT or WY etc Is not drawn. If i was willing to drop 1100 bucks on a "general draw", i'm willing to pay ~900 to 1100 for an OTC tag to have the opportunity to hunt elk. Most NR hunters aren't trophy hunters and just want an opportunity to hunt elk and fill the freezer, and CO, for now is the only place you can hunt OTC. So it shouldn't, in my opinion, be one of the cheapest.

Since I only archery hunt, and don't rifle hunt, i selfishly would be ok with doing away with a lot of the NR OTC Rifle opportunities for the good of the herd since rifle success rates are higher. But i know thats just being selfish, but I do think that due to the difference in success rates archery OTC opportunities can remain plentiful and maybe look at restricting rifle a little more.
As with anything " government" anymore, logic is not to be found, It's really simple, raise the price of tags for everyone, limit all tags, have a fair proportion of licenses to in and out of state hunters, all which would increase the quantity of animals to hunt and also increase the quality of animals. Several of us were debating the viability of starting a non profit hunting organization, with the main purpose being to have a representative at every Wildlife Commission meeting, If you say you represent 500 sportsmen, they will listen, I told one of the guys that this organization should be open for out of state hunters too, We all got skin in the game.

As with anything " government" anymore, logic is not to be found, It's really simple, raise the price of tags for everyone, limit all tags, have a fair proportion of licenses to in and out of state hunters, all which would increase the quantity of animals to hunt and also increase the quality of animals. Several of us were debating the viability of starting a non profit hunting organization, with the main purpose being to have a representative at every Wildlife Commission meeting, If you say you represent 500 sportsmen, they will listen, I told one of the guys that this organization should be open for out of state hunters too, We all got skin in the game.
We have this, it’s called the CBA. Unfortunately the wildlife Comission these days is a monster of its own, full of appointees who really shouldn’t be making wildlife based decisions. Sadly they’re not much better than ballot box based science.

sundance1

FNG
We have this, it’s called the CBA. Unfortunately the wildlife Comission these days is a monster of its own, full of appointees who really shouldn’t be making wildlife based decisions. Sadly they’re not much better than ballot box based science.
And I thought so too, but the CBA has one agenda...increasing archery exposure to people, especially the younger generations, which is to be commended. But, when it comes to the hunting end, and this is what they told me, and also what CPW locals told me, they do not get involved in the hunting end of archery. Their lobbiest's follow through with only that. Believe me, I tried with them, and that is a dead end road in getting them to get involved. So it goes back to hunters getting involved, even if it's just inundating the Special Interest Commission with emails. The only reason they are looking at changing the resident license percentage is because they got hammered by residents emailing them. I know because i had a butt load of local guys who contacted me and wanting to know what they could do, which is either attend Commission meetings, email them and the state Representatives.