Country music

It might be cool to do a Rokslide collaborative playlist. Start by having everyone dump suggestions into a Google form or something that creates a spreadsheet. Then have a way of voting on those songs where some portion of the more popular get in and the less popular get thrown into a loser's pool.

Do a few rounds of the google forms, remove duplicates and do a few rounds of voting, should have a pretty extensive playlist. Then maybe a re-vote on the loser's pool to pick up any that deserve to be there and missed the first cut. I'd volunteer to lead it up.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
That's a good one.

A whole bunch of times. Dating back to when he was in Turnpike. Hung out with him quite a few afternoons.
I live in NWA. He has played over here a number of times. Great songwriter. I'd like to try to catch him at the Blue Door in OKC, but I haven't been able to make it work, yet.

I'm grateful I started to listen to country during the late 80's and early 90's - some say the 2nd golden age with names like Strait, Tritt, Brooks, the Judds, Jackson, Travis, etc. were all making hits. By the mid-90's I'd lost interest and moved on because the genre was full of a bunch of wannabees who were not authentic.

The past 10 years I've listened to mostly "red dirt" Texas country and have mostly enjoyed it, although my wife hates it and I admit some of it is hard to listen to. But at least it's authentic.

Ropeup79 named some good ones that I enjoy.

My favorite red dirt musicians are Cory Morrow, Reckless Kelly, Pat Green, and a handful of others. I sure miss the Mavericks when they were new.

I'm getting so old now my truck radio is usually tuned to the Coffee House because I just like to chill anymore and not think about much when I'm driving. LOL Every now and then Norah Jones or Ruth B will come on and it makes me think of my youngest daughter who covers their music pretty well.

I think Colter Wall is about the best out there right now. He is a rancher when he isn't touring.

Turnpike troubadours
Cody Jinks
Tyler Childers

Jamey Johnson never gets the mentions he deserves.

They did great.

I didn't care for OCMS much, and that was the most boring Turnpike show I've ever seen.
Yeah, Old Crow was definitely more about the showmanship than the quality of the music. It was entertaining I thought. Was Turnpike more "lively" pre-breakup? Given Evan's sobriety it would make sense why they may have a little more muted performance nowadays. Thought the music quality was great out of them either way.

Yeah, Old Crow was definitely more about the showmanship than the quality of the music. It was entertaining I thought. Was Turnpike more "lively" pre-breakup? Given Evan's sobriety it would make sense why they may have a little more muted performance nowadays. Thought the music quality was great out of them either way.
It was definitely entertaining, just intense and not my style.

Lively is a good way to describe the old TT... My wife and I have been seeing them since 07ish. They've never been flashy, but before his drinking got out of control Evan was always obviously having the most fun in the room. Saturday he seemed like he was just doing what he had to for most of the show.

They definitely sounded as good as I've ever heard them sound as a band thought.

Turnpike back in the day was some of the most fun of the HUNDREDS of shows I've seen though.

Attachments

• 20230401_213048.jpg
    20230401_213048.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 55

ScottP

WKR
I’m not really into the mainstream, new age, country. Who are you listening to? Some of my favorites:

Sturgill Simpson
Whiskey Myers
Brent Cobb
Jamey Johnson
Cody Jinks
Childers, Stapleton, Wall

Then of course the old school guys who are always in style.

Who am I missing that I need to add into the mix?
Dale Watson
(maybe already mentioned but I didn’t see in the lists previously)