Country music

I’m not really into the mainstream, new age, country. Who are you listening to? Some of my favorites:

Sturgill Simpson
Whiskey Myers
Brent Cobb
Jamey Johnson
Cody Jinks
Childers, Stapleton, Wall

Then of course the old school guys who are always in style.

Who am I missing that I need to add into the mix?
The new stuff sucks. I will keep listening to Alan, George, Hank and Dwight.

I was listening to some country music from back in the day when i was a kid. Mostly 70s-90s stuff. The memories were fun but as I listened to the lyrics (and the lyrics of some newer stuff) my tastes have definitely changed. I find the memories associated with the tune is what I enjoy when i revisit that music.

But the lyrics, not something i think i want to show off to my kids. While smoking dope was never my thing, while part of my story and my past, many of my decisions fueled by alcohol and chasing wild women aren't my lifestyle anymore either. I thank the Good Lord for that!

Recently discovered Doug Mathis and Tommy Brandt and have been enjoying their music a lot the last day or two.

I really can't believe people actually listen to PBC (pretty boy country) high on looks, low on talent. The poppy junk now is laughable. Lyrics and melody with no meaning, skinny jeans, ect.

Don't forget Chris Knight. One of the best songwriters to ever live on my opinion.

Valsport

WKR
I really can't believe people actually listen to PBC (pretty boy country) high on looks, low on talent. The poppy junk now is laughable. Lyrics and melody with no meaning, skinny jeans, ect.

Don't forget Chris Knight. One of the best songwriters to ever live on my opinion.
This

Valsport

WKR
I was listening to some country music from back in the day when i was a kid. Mostly 70s-90s stuff. The memories were fun but as I listened to the lyrics (and the lyrics of some newer stuff) my tastes have definitely changed. I find the memories associated with the tune is what I enjoy when i revisit that music.

But the lyrics, not something i think i want to show off to my kids. While smoking dope was never my thing, while part of my story and my past, many of my decisions fueled by alcohol and chasing wild women aren't my lifestyle anymore either. I thank the Good Lord for that!

Recently discovered Doug Mathis and Tommy Brandt and have been enjoying their music a lot the last day or two.
Great to hear. Not to hijack the subject matter, was there something that clicked that changed your perspective?

Yoder

WKR
I've been listening to this guy for a few years now. I guess he won a couple Country music awards this year.

Only country I can stomach these days is Charles Wesley Godwin, Whiskey Myers, Colter Wall, and the not so new stuff of Parker McCollum. Seems like every other day there are 5 new interchangeable modern country artists with two first names. It's getting hilarious. Open to suggestions.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Turnpike troubadours and Colter Wall are probably my favorite contemporary guys. I’m a sucker for good song writing. They write some awesome stuff.

I like charley crocket and Sierra Ferrell a lot too. They are mostly country but cross over into other genres a bit

I’m happy to see Chris Stapleton in the mainstream. He’s great. His old bluegrass group the steel drivers was really good too.