Colorado releases first 5 wolves

BBob

WKR
there isn’t a greater conspiracy to reduce hunters, except by maybe some ultra left.
But the ultra left has inserted themselves right at the forefront of these things and the rest of the left and at times some amount in the middle just go right along with it.

Bl704

WKR
My opinion is that there isn’t a greater conspiracy to reduce hunters, except by maybe some ultra left. I just believe no one cares about hunters and the booming economy that has been coming with it, (2000$ bows every year, more expensive clothing and gear, and increase in cost of tags). So many things add to the equation to make it appear like it’s being attacked. We used to duck hunt some local SWAs and year after year it seemed they were neglected and regulated more for everybody to use, if that makes sense. We would deal with people walking their golden doodle right behind our blind. Some SWAs were also encroached on by development. When I was younger, I spent the end of a season complaining because I wanted to access a piece of State trust land. Private property bounded one side and the only other access was a 7 mile hike. I’ve encountered that more and more over the years. CPW is just too busy managing people that the focus is never improving hunting. “It’s available to you, become a better hunter” seems to be the sentiment.

Here lately I get most of my enjoyment out of bird hunting. The rewards are lesser, but more plentiful.

You may want to at what occurred in WA and their governors commission appointments...CO is not far behind...

. There are a lot more impactful predators out there. Us being one of them…. If your truly worried about #’s then we should probably do away with hunting as we are doing the same as wolves…
3169 deer taken by hunters in my region of washington last year. 0 antlerless. Wolves alone are easily killing that many here, and cougars far more. And theyre killing does and fawns, pregnant does, and killing them in winter range, killing them every day, year round, any deer elk or moose they can catch. No, we are not doing the same as wolves. No, human hunting is not as big of an impact on our ungulate populations as wolf or cougar predation.
Lot of moose getting killed by wolves here, very few by people. Moose have declined in a big way over the last ten years as wolf populations increased.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
pretty sure it’s in an area that may or may not have reproducing wolves already…. Someone’s agenda got pushed through. Unfortunate days.

WKR
We have wolves in Wyoming and we have a wolf season in Wyoming. I like having both. I hope we will always have Grizzlies and I hope we’ll have a Grizzly season someday.

I didn’t kill an elk this year. I killed an elk in 2021 and 2022 but came up short this year. I was into elk four times this past season and never got a shot. This has never been unusual. I usually fill out two, sometimes three years in a row and then have a dry year. It goes that way. I’m not convinced wolves had anything to do with me not filling out this year.

Wyoming’s wolf areas, protected, trophy, and predator, make sense to me. If Colorado was determined to do this, seems to me like RMNP should have been used as the release point and permanently protected area, areas bordering the park to become trophy areas, and areas further out to become predator areas. But I’m no expert and Colorado is not Wyoming. Maybe that template wouldn’t work there.

Besides, politically I default to states rights to the greatest extent possible, so it’s really none of my business what Colorado does.

My thoughts and 5.00 will get you foofoo coffee in Boulder.

We have wolves in Wyoming and we have a wolf season in Wyoming. I like having both. I hope we will always have Grizzlies and I hope we’ll have a Grizzly season someday.

I didn’t kill an elk this year. I killed an elk in 2021 and 2022 but came up short this year. I was into elk four times this past season and never got a shot. This has never been unusual. I usually fill out two, sometimes three years in a row and then have a dry year. It goes that way. I’m not convinced wolves had anything to do with me not filling out this year.

Wyoming’s wolf areas, protected, trophy, and predator, make sense to me. If Colorado was determined to do this, seems to me like RMNP should have been used as the release point and permanently protected area, areas bordering the park to become trophy areas, and areas further out to become predator areas. But I’m no expert and Colorado is not Wyoming. Maybe that template wouldn’t work there.

Besides, politically I default to states rights to the greatest extent possible, so it’s really none of my business what Colorado does.

My thoughts and 5.00 will get you foofoo coffee in Boulder.
I agree with your thoughts. Not all states are as well positioned with land ownership, geography, land use to have a hot/warm/cold zone model, but it makes a lot of sense. At least you know what you're getting in each zone as far as game numbers.

Hnthrdr

WKR
And once again not many folks in Co would have had any issue if we would have just let the wolves naturally populate here, and then have a management plan in place once a specified objective was reached. The issue is with the two legged wolves who put forth this sham bill, and have essentially insured there will never be any management of wolves in the state.

3169 deer taken by hunters in my region of washington last year. 0 antlerless. Wolves alone are easily killing that many here, and cougars far more. And theyre killing does and fawns, pregnant does, and killing them in winter range, killing them every day, year round, any deer elk or moose they can catch. No, we are not doing the same as wolves. No, human hunting is not as big of an impact on our ungulate populations as wolf or cougar predation.
Lot of moose getting killed by wolves here, very few by people. Moose have declined in a big way over the last ten years as wolf populations increased.
I'm pretty familiar with the area in which they released the wolves in CO. Very strong Moose population thereabouts. Wonder how long they will last, as they seem to be the first to go when wolves show up. I remember when there were Moose all over Yellowstone. Was there last summer and didn't see one.

A state rep in WI, Tom Tiffany, recently outlined why the wolves are such a political animal. I'll see if I can find a link, but the Cliff's Notes version is that when wolves are keeping game numbers down, there's less need for hunters. Overtime, less hunters = less guns. Likewise, hunters and ranchers are generally of political sensibilities that run counter to those foisting wolf introductions without management objectives and season structures on all these states.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
And once again not many folks in Co would have had any issue if we would have just let the wolves naturally populate here, and then have a management plan in place once a specified objective was reached. The issue is with the two legged wolves who put forth this sham bill, and have essentially insured there will never be any management of wolves in the state.

Colorado watched their neighboring states deal with wolves for over a decade and could have come up with a wolf plan that would do exactly that, way before the introduction legislation, and they didn't.
After seeing what MT and ID, then WY did, OR also had that opportunity, and we screwed it up too; no maximum for breeding pairs and the wolf plan has no provision for any real management, let alone hunting as one of those tools.

I believe the issue is your wolf plan, just like ours, not the introduction of 10 wolves.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Colorado watched their neighboring states deal with wolves for over a decade and could have come up with a wolf plan that would do exactly that, way before the introduction legislation, and they didn't.
After seeing what MT and ID, then WY did, OR also had that opportunity, and we screwed it up too; no maximum for breeding pairs and the wolf plan has no provision for any real management, let alone hunting as one of those tools.

I believe the issue is your wolf plan, just like ours, not the introduction of 10 wolves.
Exactly… the fact that there isn’t one/ there will never be hunting of them…

A state rep in WI, Tom Tiffany, recently outlined why the wolves are such a political animal. I'll see if I can find a link, but the Cliff's Notes version is that when wolves are keeping game numbers down, there's less need for hunters. Overtime, less hunters = less guns. Likewise, hunters and ranchers are generally of political sensibilities that run counter to those foisting wolf introductions without management objectives and season structures on all these states
A state rep in WI, Tom Tiffany, recently outlined why the wolves are such a political animal. I'll see if I can find a link, but the Cliff's Notes version is that when wolves are keeping game numbers down, there's less need for hunters. Overtime, less hunters = less guns. Likewise, hunters and ranchers are generally of political sensibilities that run counter to those foisting wolf introductions without management objectives and season structures on all these states.
I'm pretty familiar with the area in which they released the wolves in CO. Very strong Moose population thereabouts. Wonder how long they will last, as they seem to be the first to go when wolves show up. I remember when there were Moose all over Yellowstone. Was there last summer and didn't see one.

Sorry...don't do social media too well...was trying to say likewise for me,. Been hunting middle park when don't draw elsewhere since early 90's. This year, saw more moose/sign than elk. I have posted to CPW surveys about the wolf/moose effects because of what happened to the Cody and Teton moose herds post-wolf and have zero replies. Only one time heard mention at the public mtgs, Nobody seems to care about the millions of dollars, flight time and esp man hours it took to bring moose to Colo decades ago and transplant them throughout the state. We have the best Shiras moose herd on the the continent and seems global warming has treated them well. Here's to drawing a moose tag soon!

We all have the right thoughts on this mess that we are going to inherit and fund for the rest of our and our children's hunting lives, but what Balderdash said about what was said in Wisco is what I say we need to focus our screentime on. This is a social attitude issue against hunters. We can't un-release wolves. The courts will never un-release them even though CPW says they could, and we aren't ever going to manage them properly. That poor rancher in Walden can't even protect his livelihood. Polis and his successors down the road are going to keep stacking non and anti-hunting commissioners, and he will never govern anyone other than those who supports his views. HOW do we unite, focus and organize? I just joined Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and Colorado Sportsman for Responsible Wildlife. Who else do we support? I don't know, but I think (pls don't take this the wrong way) squabbling about wolves is a wasting my crappy typing skills. I feel we come out with guns and pocket-book blazing with fighting Initiative #91 (the Lion ban) and move onward from there.

Please post a link. I'm interested in looking at it. Thanks

We all have the right thoughts on this mess that we are going to inherit and fund for the rest of our and our children's hunting lives, but what Balderdash said about what was said in Wisco is what I say we need to focus our screentime on. This is a social attitude issue against hunters. We can't un-release wolves. The courts will never un-release them even though CPW says they could, and we aren't ever going to manage them properly. That poor rancher in Walden can't even protect his livelihood. Polis and his successors down the road are going to keep stacking non and anti-hunting commissioners, and he will never govern anyone other than those who supports his views. HOW do we unite, focus and organize? I just joined Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and Colorado Sportsman for Responsible Wildlife. Who else do we support? I don't know, but I think (pls don't take this the wrong way) squabbling about wolves is a wasting my crappy typing skills. I feel we come out with guns and pocket-book blazing with fighting Initiative #91 (the Lion ban) and move onward from there.

Trying to finish a podcast with Don Gates, Pres of CRWM at
. Seems like a guy with 110% the right thoughts on all this and leading the organizations we need to support.

One point I am taking to heart is how disorganized we are as hunters to fight these initiatives. Seems like he blames ourselves. No idea how we fix this except communicate at CPW mtgs, non-hunters and legislators who listen how much we care about the animals we pursue and we love our hunting and fishing heritage. Seems like we have a lot of work to and soon.