Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

bluumoon

WKR
Challenge now complete. Stayed at 603 yards after missing 1st day. Hit today. Based on today's hit, had I held left side of target yesterday I prob would have been good, then again maybe I just muffed it.

Bonus material, kiddo wanted to visit our "big rock" on the way back from checking target. We aren't the first hunters on the property

Attachments

• IMG_5348.jpg
    IMG_5348.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 28

id_jon

WKR
The real challenge isn't hitting the target, it's not sending another when you miss 😂

@Harvey_NW That's super interesting on the cold weld, I wonder if that's what I have going on. My 22CM is all loaded on virgin brass w/ no graphite lube and I am getting the weirdest vertical shifts and speed swings, put me .2 high at 600 this morning from a super stable position. I'll put this to the test on my next batch of ammo.

mcr-85

WKR
My boy and I finished this morning. We'll get on and update our threads soon. We have some video to merge together into one.

I am going to start a Cold Bore Redemption thread too. I am still mad I missed yesterday. I have a couple other guns I want to do the challenge with as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

My boy and I finished this morning. We'll get on and update our threads soon. We have some video to merge together into one.

I am going to start a Cold Bore Redemption thread too. I am still mad I missed yesterday. I have a couple other guns I want to do the challenge with as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

CBR Thread! I like it! I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
missed day 2. Not on paper even so not really sure why. Sat seated and broke a decent shot. Am I allowed to shoot more today now that I’m done?

Best guesses are, 1 I didn’t make as good a shot as I thought, and 2 Wind is blowing less left at the target so holding right edge of plate lead to the bullet getting pushed off the right edge of my backboard. From the angle I’m shooting it’d only have to move about 3-4” right for that to happen.

Also not having the tree but just the pack top and bag made it way harder to get steady. Thought I had a good position but it wasn’t as solid as my practice shots. Fortunately there are more trees than septic risers in the field!

Fun challenge either way. Wish there was a 3rd day!

Am I allowed to shoot more now to verify or not til tomorrow?303C84AB-4B36-421A-9802-5BD31EE0717E.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
I ended up running an oiled patch, followed by a dry patch through both rifles due to the rain yesterday. I’ve never run 1-2 patches through a rifle and not completely cleaned it. My prediction is no POI change on my next cold bore shot at 600. What say you?

WBrim

WKR
missed day 2. Not on paper even so not really sure why. Sat seated and broke a decent shot. Am I allowed to shoot more today now that I’m done?

Best guesses are, 1 I didn’t make as good a shot as I thought, and 2 Wind is blowing less left at the target so holding right edge of plate lead to the bullet getting pushed off the right edge of my backboard. From the angle I’m shooting it’d only have to move about 3-4” right for that to happen.

Also not having the tree but just the pack top and bag made it way harder to get steady. Thought I had a good position but it wasn’t as solid as my practice shots. Fortunately there are more trees than septic risers in the field!

Fun challenge either way. Wish there was a 3rd day!

Am I allowed to shoot more now to verify or not til tomorrow?View attachment 561022
Once shot 2 is done, you’re free to shoot. (Unless your doing the 600+, where you would be held to 1 a day until 4 shots are complete)

So last year I practiced a lot of the bench getting ready for one of those most likely OIL AZ tags. Probably shot more than I ever have. Felt like I couldn't miss out to 800. Ended up shooting a bull at 500 and while I was absolutely confident at the shot I got a little lucky. Shooting at an animal in the field resting over a rock was more difficult than I planned for.

This challenge confirms to me that practicing off the bench is useless. I shot this challenge sitting on the ground using trigger sticks at 420 yards. This is a highly likely shooting position in the field. I feel like I got a little lucky to get 2 hits, one barely. I don't think I would feel comfortable shooting at a deer or especially antelope any farther in this position. Maybe an elk at 450. My days were both calm too.

It's amazing what we will convince ourselves we are capable of when in practice we are not. Now I'm going to go dunk a basketball. I'm still totally capable 🤔

DeerJohn

FNG
I’m having trouble editing my post to add my second shot. I tried a couple different browsers and neither worked. It’s my first post on Rokslide so I’m guessing that’s why. Is there a way to fix it? IMG_4325.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley

My range targets are 565 yds, then 660 yards.

I plan on declaring 660 yards as my MER. Can I have a waiver for 565 as my qualifier?
You can only use 660 as your mer if in fact 660 is your maximum effective range not because that's how the range is laid out.

Justin's probably not going to be back into internet range until late.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Stumpy208

FNG
Findings for page 2 post #40.

Shot 1: It was low. I thought it was because of my dope equation not being correct. But more than likely I pulled the shot low, either that or the quality of Winchester's ammunition is as inconsistent as the internet says. I'm gonna go with it was me causing the miss though.

Shot 2: I missed high. I added .75MOA adjustment to my last shot to compensate for my low miss. NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO! After my second shot my gun recoiled off my rest so I couldn't see the impact. So I put another round in to see my diagnosis. I saw that one hit high. I load a third round take out the .75 MOA adjustment I added because of the first miss. I held the right side of the target for wind and FINALLY A HIT!

20230604_135704.jpg

Now that I made myself feel better. My wife and I drove down to get the target so I could set it up at 100 yards to have her shoot at it with my 6.5 grendel. After she had her fun with that I started plinking it with the .22lr to end our shooting session.

This was an awesome challenge thanks to you guys that put it together. It was really difficult to not put a second round down range on day 1 after the first miss. I'm glad I was able to at least redeem myself today. Shooting off quik-sticks and my K3 is definitely more challenging than shooting prone with a bipod and rear bag.

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
You can only use 660 as your mer if in fact 660 is your maximum effective range not because that's how the range is laid out.
My range is laid out in roughly 100 yard increments starting at 365 yards and going out to 1250 yards.

I practice out to 950. I don’t see why I can’t declare 660 yards as my “realistic MER” IAW the rules:

2) Call the range you think is your REALISTIC maximum effective range (MER). You must shoot your personal MER, so if it’s 600 yards, you can’t shoot 100 yards because that's all you have at your range!
Minimum range for this challenge will be 400 yards. Push yourself a bit and make an effort--that's the spirit of the challenge.

I’m done!

Page 2/post 32.

In a way I’m happy it’s over in another way I’m sad. We went with the two shots requirement because we know it’s harder for people to find a place to shoot, but man I like that pressure of 1-shot “make it count” and kinda wish there were a few more days…

Robby should have shot 600 and you could still be going…
Hey bro, I wanted to, but I don’t know if you saw the last couple weeks on the Q&A thread when I was practicing at 500, I was only about 50% on the vitals so I moved it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My range is laid out in roughly 100 yard increments starting at 365 yards and going out to 1250 yards.

I practice out to 950. I don’t see why I can’t declare 660 yards as my “realistic MER” IAW the rules:

2) Call the range you think is your REALISTIC maximum effective range (MER). You must shoot your personal MER, so if it’s 600 yards, you can’t shoot 100 yards because that's all you have at your range!
Minimum range for this challenge will be 400 yards. Push yourself a bit and make an effort--that's the spirit of the challenge.
You can use whatever is your true MER If it's 660 then it's 660.