Chili Makin’ - Beans or No?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
To me beans are a must. I use 2 cans of Bush's chili beans and 1 can of black beans. I will eat beanless chili, but IMO chili should always have beans.

I will also mention my chili has won multiple chili cook-offs. I'm kind of a big deal (LOL)
I won the only two cook- offs I entered with my Elk chili. In my opinion for chili to get its best flavor it needs to be made the day before, all the ingredients need time to blend together.

ODB

WKR
Kidney Beans man. Cooked until the skins peel back when you cool them. Always rinse the farts off the beans before you add them.

Phaseolus

WKR
I spent 33 years working with the genus Phaseolus so this BeanMan has got to have pinto beans in my chili. I’m surprised how many people are using canned beans.

elkyinzer

WKR
The only acceptable chili without beans is for hot dogs.
Cincinnati chili. Not sure how many of you western folk have even heard of it, but it's about the only good thing to come out of Cincinnati. You add canned beans at the end if you want them, or not.

I make 10 gallons of my venison Skyline knockoff every year. It freezes really well.

Tex-mex chili, yes, beans. Dark kidney, sometimes black or great northern to throw a changeup.

Mexican pozole, no beans. Hominy, amigo.

Chicken or turkey chili - you suck. rot in food hell

Steelhead

FNG
Putting beans in your chili is the devil. so dissapointing and disrespectful to the meat. Like someone putting artifically flavored creamer into a good cup of coffee or putting low pro tires on a 3/4 ton truck. :)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Elk chili,,,,,For chili powder, 3 dried ancho chilies, 1 dried chili d'argol, 1 dried NM chili or pasilla chili, for hotter use more d'arbor. Remove all seeds, I grind my own or you can get pre-ground. 1.5 lbs. ground Elk, 2 large yellow onions diced,2-10 oz. tomato sauce,1-14 oz. can Italian style stewed tomatoes, chopped course,1-15 oz. drained and rinsed kidney beans, 1 4 oz. can diced green chili, 1-4 oz can diced jalapeños, 1.5 tsp fresh ground chili powder, or to taste, 1.5 tsp ground cumin,1 tsp dried oregano,1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar. Brown meat, drain off grease, add onions cook until slightly cook. Add rest of ingredients and simmer covered two hours. Place in container and put in frig for 24 hours minimum..

wesfromky

WKR
No bean version of Hank Shaw's recipe is my go to.

I like it both ways. I recognize there are a lot of different kinds of chili just
like there are different kinds of stews.
Some of the best chili I ever had was White bean chicken chili from the French Mendow bakery in Minneapolis. I’ve tried to make it myself but can’t quite capture what they’ve done. While my venison jalapeño chili is widely recognized as the best chili on the planet😉,I’m willing to concede that there are other very good chilies.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, to beans. Black and either Kidney or Pinto (or what's on hand). No cans, dried only cooked in the chili. I want them rehydrated with the flavors in the chili.

Jeremy

We have a pot of chili cooking as I am looking out the kitchen window watching it snow.

Kuners chili beans (pinto beans), ground beef, tomatoes and seasoning - that is how my wife has always make it.

ClearCreek