Chili Makin’ - Beans or No?

Funny, the wife and I were just making plans to whip up a batch of elk chili next weekend.

As for beans, nope not in our chili. We started substituting corn for beans years ago and everyone was more happy while eating it...…..and later (if you know what I mean).

Dang, now I can't wait for the weekend to have some elk chili!

-BHWI

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
To me beans are a must. I use 2 cans of Bush's chili beans and 1 can of black beans. I will eat beanless chili, but IMO chili should always have beans.

I will also mention my chili has won multiple chili cook-offs. I'm kind of a big deal (LOL)

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Funny, the wife and I were just making plans to whip up a batch of elk chili next weekend.

As for beans, nope not in our chili. We started substituting corn for beans years ago and everyone was more happy while eating it...…..and later (if you know what I mean).

Dang, now I can't wait for the weekend to have some elk chili!

-BHWI

NO to the corn!! lol

Depends on the version of chili. A couple of different kinds in NM. Green chili, red chili, Christmas. These styles are more like a soup. Most other styles we call Texas chili. We do pinto beans and Anasazi beans if we add them.

Fordguy

WKR
Both. It really depends where I am and what group of friends/family I'm with. I like it with or without beans. I've used black, pinto, kidney, even canned chili beans. Heck, I make a "white chili" with small game (usually rabbit) that calls for white northern beans.

Vandal 44

WKR
The wife made chili yesterday. She started dumping stuff in the crockpot at 7:00am

Ground elk (a lot), onion, red and orange pepper, finely diced zucchini, and all the spiced. Absolutely NO beans and NO corn

Had the first bowl at 6:00pm. Chili is one of those dishes that gets better the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
Definitely beans although that is a point of contention in my house. When my wife makes it she substitutes beans with spaghetti noodles….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
If you like beans, add them. I use pintos sometimes but not enough to dominate the chili.

If you are selling chili in Texas I would suggest omitting the beans if you plan on staying in business.

xcutter

WKR
To me beans are a must. I use 2 cans of Bush's chili beans and 1 can of black beans. I will eat beanless chili, but IMO chili should always have beans.

I will also mention my chili has won multiple chili cook-offs. I'm kind of a big deal (LOL)
Need a recipe please

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Need a recipe please
So I use 2 cans of the Bush's chili beans (usually try to do 1 hot and 1 mild), 1 can of drained black beans. 2 lbs of burger (deer or elk either one, I have even had to do one of each). 1 big can of tomato sauce. A package of Williams chili seasoning. A tablespoon of garlic, some basil some red chili flakes, jalapenos diced (I prefer pickled of fresh), some jalapeno juice, and some meat church Holy Cow rub. Now the secret, and small handful of regular m&m's or chocolate chips. Add and subtract amounts of seasonings to taste. My next secret is don't eat it until at least the next day and the earliest. Chili only gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. Let me know if you have any questions. Its pretty basic and pretty easy.