After SXS experience, anyone go back to truck or other 4x4?

nobody

WKR
Not us, but we hunted with some guys who were vehemently against side by sides for the longest time. They were from Moab and were convinced a Jeep was the only way to go.

Then the next year, we showed up in camp and they had a brand new Yamaha Rhino (+/- 2008). They drove it all over and loved it, or so they thought.

Then after a few years they went back to a TJ and haven't owned a side by side since.

Their reasoning was that a Side by Side didn't get you anything over an ATV other than sitting side by side with your hunting partner, and the bed. You still froze your nay-nays off on a cold morning, still would get wet in the rain, still were covered in dust from following guys in front of you, all the things they hated about riding an ATV. Except the side by side cost them WAY more than an ATV.

Nowadays, you can buy a SxS with all the enclosure and heaters and everything, but you're into it like $25k. At that point, buy yourself a 4 door JK Rubicon. Sure, you can put a street legal kit on your side by side, but the Rubicon will cruise down the highway at 80 with the cruise set.

Then, when you get to where you're hunting, you disconnect the swaybar, air the tires down to 10 PSI and throw the lockers in and go anywhere a SxS will go, all with heat and AC and without eating dust. We've taken our old TJ on trails that made guys with SxS pucker, most recently on an elk hunt where we watched some guys laugh as we started down the trail and they hollered that we wouldn't make it. When we made it and came back out later and they watched us come out the trail after a few hours of glassing elk, they were dumbfounded. A Jeep is far more versatile and capable, IME. Best part was that 2 Door TJ cost us $5k with the air lockers, winch, and 4 inch lift already installed. You can't hardly get a base model SxS with a burned up motor for $5k.

That's why they got away from them, they discovered they could build a Jeep that will check more boxes and be more "well rounded" for multiple uses for less money overall.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Literally every single time I've seen a SXS while in my hunting units, they are on roads, tracks, or 4wd trails where I already take my trucks. And every single time I encounter them, they end up pulling off to let me by because they're going too slow. So from my perspective, I see no advantage to them. The last week of the archery season, two old guys drove past my camp (on a dead end spur road that ends 100 yards later) on a SXS that was loud as heck and backfiring every 10 seconds. They might as well been shooting guns off.
Wouldn’t it reason that they’re also the places you can’t go in your truck, and you never see them because you don’t go there. 😜

hunterjmj

WKR
We have a ranger crew and love it. We don't use it for hunting cause we don't really drive after we set up the wall tent. But it's great for plowing the driveway and cruising the breaks with the family for sheds or pleasure riding. It can be a bit dusty but not terrible.

I've been chained up (mud) getting into my hunting spot in the past and side X sides have cruised by me like it was normal conditions. In many situations a side X side doesn't pencil out but snow and mud they are superior to pickups.

Last edited:

SoCoMuley

FNG
I’ve never went the SxS route. I’ve used a 4wheeler forever. I used to stop and warm my hands and gloves up on the exhaust. Put on heated grips and they work great. Lots cheaper too.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wrestling with this at the moment. Always been a backpack guy but as I grow older I’m looking at more base camps. I have an SUV but nothing that will be capable in the backcountry and I’m going to need some transportation not to beat the crap out of it. If I were to get a SxS, I’d want an under 50” model; I am not a speed racer so that leaves me with a Honda Pioneer 520. Quads open up a lot more options but would want 2up capability. Had Bombardier Outlander 400XTs in a previous life but the small SxS seems more versatile for payload ect.

tdhanses

WKR
I can’t imagine guys driving 15mph in a jeep/pickup through boulder fields, with washouts 3ft deep.

In a sxs it’s no biggie.

But really it doesn’t matter what anyone uses, use what you like, I prefer to haul my trail rig and not beat up my daily driver especially if i’m driving 800 miles home.

I also think most are not tacking their vehicles on extremely crappy trails that are called roads, some do but most don’t, my guess is a two track that has some ruts and a few rocks, maybe a downed tree is what most drive on.

Wrestling with this at the moment. Always been a backpack guy but as I grow older I’m looking at more base camps. I have an SUV but nothing that will be capable in the backcountry and I’m going to need some transportation not to beat the crap out of it. If I were to get a SxS, I’d want an under 50” model; I am not a speed racer so that leaves me with a Honda Pioneer 520. Quads open up a lot more options but would want 2up capability. Had Bombardier Outlander 400XTs in a previous life but the small SxS seems more versatile for payload ect.
I have a Pioneer 500 that we're debating on taking to Colorado in a few weeks. It's a small, but stout, reliable machine. Mine has surprised me with the things it'll pull and go through.

Sort of in the same boat. My polaris 800 is a 2007. My honda foreman is 2002. I am time to have a newer model. I will never sell that honda. It makes a great spare or guest ride and has never been a problem.
I am thinking about selling the polaris at some point and buying a SxS. I would like the extra room in the bed. My Polaris does everything I need it to do and is comfortable to ride but its just getting older. I dont want to be without an 4wheeler. So I am sort of torn between a new honda 4 wheeler or a SXS.

SXS you can definitely cover a ton of ground quickly and it will get you over some nasty terrain. I like that you are more in the open so you can glass from your seat easier. It does get rough though if you hit a storm and have to have the windshield open and wear goggles.

My $.02. I have a 1 ton diesel truck for reasons other than hunting... I'll haul my trailer/SXS/Camping gear till the road is rough enough that I don't want to screw up my truck. We setup base camp there & unload the SXS.

SXS takes us 20 miles deeper into crap every day that I would never imagine taking my truck through. Narrow trails, loose rocks, etc. Some of the trails with tight turns would have been impossible. When I get to a point that the SXS is no longer viable, it's time to get the pack on and get walking (or climbing, sometimes).

When it comes to really rough roads, the SXS is a much "softer" ride than a 1 ton truck. I'd also rather risk breaking the SXS versus my truck; it's a hell of a lot easier to work on. Not to mention the parts are a lot cheeper.