Camping in a Softopper

lhough89

FNG
Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone has experience camping in a softopper (or equivalent) and would caution me against going that route for any reason. I had an ARE hard shell with carpet lining on my last truck for the last 9 years, so I'm plenty aware of the benefits and drawbacks of a hard shell. My primary use of the bed is sleeping in the back and hauling equipment for hunting and fishing trips. I've always put the more expensive items under the back seat in the cab to the extent possible. I just got a new truck and am in that slightly painful process of spending more money to set it up.

I'm trying to decide between (1) an ARE shell with windoors or (2) a Fas-Top that converts between a soft tonneau and soft topper (Fas-Top Traveler | Topper & Tonneau). Potential concerns are ease of access from inside and outside the bed, ventilation, condensation, temperatures, durability (in Arizona weather), ability to clean it, fuel efficiency, maybe bears, etc. I guess my main concerns with a softopper are getting annoyed with the manner in which I have to open and close it, and it being too warm in the back due to a lack of ventilation without screening.

The main reason I'm considering the Fas-Top is so that I can keep it as a tonneau cover in town and just leave a few camping things stored back there out of sight. I realize someone can just cut open a soft tonneau, but I think that's fairly unlikely given that person doesn't know if anything is even back there. I figure the tonneau would be more likely to deter crimes of opportunity than a hard shell. I always left my hardshell unlocked on hunting trips because I'd rather have people just steal my stuff than break my window and steal my stuff.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

dwils233

FNG
I have a soft topper because I wanted a cover, hate being restricted to always having a cover. Overall I'm happy, but it's not perfect. For the record, I've slept in the bed an average of 20 nights a year for 2 years. I work in Eastern Washington and spend a lot of time in rural areas. I've slept in the back probably April- early October. Mine has been on and stayed on since probably august. Even though it's easy to take off, sometimes I just leave it up for extended periods.

Here's what I can say about most your concerns: first, the security issue of being a softshell has never come up. Granted I don't leave things out in the bed, but no one has ever cut into my top or opened it up- and I have semi-intentionally left an inflatable solar lantern hanging from one of the beams. I think it depends on where you are though- definitely wouldn't do it in Seattle.

Fuel efficiency impact was minimal. Maybe 1 mpg.

ability to clean it... probably a drawback there. Touchless washes only. Needs attention it if you want it to stay deep black. Main frustration is the windows though, eventually mine got so scuffed up, it didn't matter if I cleaned it, I lost visibility. Need to clean it often. Upside is that you can replace them for a low cost.

Access is fine, easy. But you should keep the zipper lubed up. From inside, just unzip and flip the panel up and grab the tailgate latch

Condensation does happen. You'll wake up with damp walls, but I've never been soaked or dripped on. Dries out just fine.

It's not a sealed envelope. In hard, hard rain, I've gotten minimal water inside from some of the panel seams, but it's better than some hardtoppers. The real problem is dust though. Bang around on some dusty roads and you'll find a nice film inside, but you could probably get creative and limit that. Similarly, mosquitos can get in at night, but you could probably solve that too (and its like 1-2 a night). Ventilation is fine, but it can get warm in there above 80 degrees. Softopper makes a mesh back panel that solves for alomost all these issues, but increases dust severely. While the back panel swap isn't hard. I haven't done it enough to want to it every time I camp. For now, I just keep it open until I'm passing out, kill whatever skeeters get trapped inside and turn on a little travel fan.

If you've got any other questions, let me know. Overall I'm going to keep using it this and even made some improvements to by setup, but it is a tradeoff from a fully sealed bed with a topper. Still, I'm going to take it off next weekend to get a bed full or bark chips- then I'll put it back up in five minutes after it's unloaded. That's where the compromise becomes worth it.

Felix40

WKR
I like mine a lot. I needed to be able to haul dirt bikes in the bed. If not for that, I would rather have a hard topper. All the possible negatives (back flap being hard to open and the wind blowing it closed on you, no ventilation with bug protection, not very good visibility out the back when driving) you mentioned are real. They don’t outweigh the versatility for my use though. Both of the softoppers I’ve had have been water tight so that’s a non issue. I live at 9000ft and my truck is parked outside all the time. No durability issues so far.

BsDada

FNG
Your concerns are spot on. I had one in Arizona and I liked the versatility. However, you are giving some things up. The window is susceptible to cold cracking, and like everything in AZ the sun eventually gets to it. Overall, I loved it.

If you do it. To help seal run some foam strips under the rails.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely like the hard top. No set up or any concerns with condensation. I built a wood box in the bed that I sleep on and can lock any valuables in while away from the truck. I simply slide the box in for trips and take it out when I'm home.

OP
L

lhough89

FNG
I have a soft topper because I wanted a cover, hate being restricted to always having a cover. Overall I'm happy, but it's not perfect. For the record, I've slept in the bed an average of 20 nights a year for 2 years. I work in Eastern Washington and spend a lot of time in rural areas. I've slept in the back probably April- early October. Mine has been on and stayed on since probably august. Even though it's easy to take off, sometimes I just leave it up for extended periods.

Here's what I can say about most your concerns: first, the security issue of being a softshell has never come up. Granted I don't leave things out in the bed, but no one has ever cut into my top or opened it up- and I have semi-intentionally left an inflatable solar lantern hanging from one of the beams. I think it depends on where you are though- definitely wouldn't do it in Seattle.

Fuel efficiency impact was minimal. Maybe 1 mpg.

ability to clean it... probably a drawback there. Touchless washes only. Needs attention it if you want it to stay deep black. Main frustration is the windows though, eventually mine got so scuffed up, it didn't matter if I cleaned it, I lost visibility. Need to clean it often. Upside is that you can replace them for a low cost.

Access is fine, easy. But you should keep the zipper lubed up. From inside, just unzip and flip the panel up and grab the tailgate latch

Condensation does happen. You'll wake up with damp walls, but I've never been soaked or dripped on. Dries out just fine.

It's not a sealed envelope. In hard, hard rain, I've gotten minimal water inside from some of the panel seams, but it's better than some hardtoppers. The real problem is dust though. Bang around on some dusty roads and you'll find a nice film inside, but you could probably get creative and limit that. Similarly, mosquitos can get in at night, but you could probably solve that too (and its like 1-2 a night). Ventilation is fine, but it can get warm in there above 80 degrees. Softopper makes a mesh back panel that solves for alomost all these issues, but increases dust severely. While the back panel swap isn't hard. I haven't done it enough to want to it every time I camp. For now, I just keep it open until I'm passing out, kill whatever skeeters get trapped inside and turn on a little travel fan.

If you've got any other questions, let me know. Overall I'm going to keep using it this and even made some improvements to by setup, but it is a tradeoff from a fully sealed bed with a topper. Still, I'm going to take it off next weekend to get a bed full or bark chips- then I'll put it back up in five minutes after it's unloaded. That's where the compromise becomes worth it.
I appreciate the breakdown! I'm still a bit on the fence but am leaning towards just going with the hardshell since I rarely have a need that requires taking off the shell.

OP
L

lhough89

FNG
I definitely like the hard top. No set up or any concerns with condensation. I built a wood box in the bed that I sleep on and can lock any valuables in while away from the truck. I simply slide the box in for trips and take it out when I'm home.
That's a good idea on the lock box. I don't quite want to commit to the decked system but would like to lock up an item or two.
Hey Wolverine, could you send me a photo of the box you built so I can get an idea? Feel free to DM.

That's a good idea on the lock box. I don't quite want to commit to the decked system but would like to lock up an item or two.

Hey Wolverine, could you send me a photo of the box you built so I can get an idea? Feel free to DM.
My hard topper has the Leer locker in it. It locks and holds quite a bit of stuff. Could be a good option if you don't want a decked system

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got no experience with soft tops/covers but my concern would be dust. Even my hard shell toppers let in a decent amount of dust on our AZ backroads

I love my softopper and built a platform bed to use in the bed of my tacoma. Works amazing and is easy as well as very versatile and cost effective.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider

Here are the only pics I could find. This was from a quick prototype setup I threw together last minute before a trip. Don't judge too harshly, LOL, as I have made upgrades to the setup but basically you get the idea.
20210211_150754.jpg20210211_150805.jpg
First off, I have an 8' truck bed for reference.
The box is "about" 30"X6' long. The pad was out of an old camper which I have replaced with a new thicker tri fold pad. The whole lid is hinged and lifts up for access. I have a battery in there for 24v power in the back. I can lock all things of value in there. Chainsaws, guns, packs. The locking set up is up to you. Let's just say it's secure...to open or to be taken out.

It's a little cozy on top of the box but I wanted all the height I could comfortably get. A shorter box might have worked but I sleep fine and it keeps me up high were the heat is. I use the buddy heater with a 10' hose and a propane tank outside. Generally I just have it on pilot down till it gets into the 20's and even then I usually only have it on low when I first get in or when waking up. I keep the back hatch slightly open for safe venting.

Floor is carpeted. I just use a bucket to sit on if need be or for changing. I am only back there to sleep so I don't need a chair. The only condensation concerns are the windows which is resolved by the foam board.
Again, this was a rough crude version but it worked. The upgrades were mostly on the finish looks but the function is the same. I can have the back set up or taken out in about 15 minutes now.

OP
L

lhough89

FNG
Here are the only pics I could find. This was from a quick prototype setup I threw together last minute before a trip. Don't judge too harshly, LOL, as I have made upgrades to the setup but basically you get the idea.
View attachment 692424View attachment 692425
First off, I have an 8' truck bed for reference.
The box is "about" 30"X6' long. The pad was out of an old camper which I have replaced with a new thicker tri fold pad. The whole lid is hinged and lifts up for access. I have a battery in there for 24v power in the back. I can lock all things of value in there. Chainsaws, guns, packs. The locking set up is up to you. Let's just say it's secure...to open or to be taken out.

It's a little cozy on top of the box but I wanted all the height I could comfortably get. A shorter box might have worked but I sleep fine and it keeps me up high were the heat is. I use the buddy heater with a 10' hose and a propane tank outside. Generally I just have it on pilot down till it gets into the 20's and even then I usually only have it on low when I first get in or when waking up. I keep the back hatch slightly open for safe venting.

Floor is carpeted. I just use a bucket to sit on if need be or for changing. I am only back there to sleep so I don't need a chair. The only condensation concerns are the windows which is resolved by the foam board.
Again, this was a rough crude version but it worked. The upgrades were mostly on the finish looks but the function is the same. I can have the back set up or taken out in about 15 minutes now.
You're not messing around!!! I like the setup. I had not really thought about building out that much but it makes sense to me. I think I may just build a locking bed platform that I can secure to the tie down connections.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
You're not messing around!!! I like the setup. I had not really thought about building out that much but it makes sense to me. I think I may just build a locking bed platform that I can secure to the tie down connections.
Yeah I stepped it up over the years. I started with just a few 2x4's and a sheet of plywood. Slept on the plywood deck and stored everything underneath. Now I have this setup and I built a small slide-in camper to use as well. Never ending rabbit hole.