30-06 limitations or does it not have the “cool factor”

The only thing wrong with 30-06 is recoil. It was my first rifle 15 years ago and I developed a nasty flinch that took a while to get away from. I still pull it out from time to time, but I have found that smaller cartridges and well designed bullets will kill just as well and are much easier to shoot accurately.

LoggerDan

WKR
@willfrye027

Remington reduced kick loads help a lot, two of my daughters and my boy and ex wife cut their teeth on them. Come hunting season, 180’s went in and them kids never knew the difference.

@willfrye027

Remington reduced kick loads help a lot, two of my daughters and my boy and ex wife cut their teeth on them. Come hunting season, 180’s went in and them kids never knew the difference.
Funny I had the same idea with my wife back when we were pretty poor and only had one rifle between us. Had her shoot the .22 at the range and a few 150gr low recoil type loads. Only had a box of 180gr left for our hunt but figured it would be fine.

She killed her buck, a great deer for public land Virginia. Unfortunately suffered some serious scope bite and needed stitches, still has a scar. First thing I did after paying the medical bills was buy her a 6.5 creedmoor!

I think most people shoot better with low recoil, myself included. I am slowly converting everything over to low recoil cartridges and spending more time shooting, and enjoying it. Took a big cow elk with my .25 creedmoor this year and now contemplating going down to a .22 creedmoor for even less recoil.

BC33B785-C088-4D4D-9F28-B6E845E7FB33.jpeg36835FF6-24AF-483F-8268-85E9EEB07A29.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The only thing wrong with 30-06 is recoil. It was my first rifle 15 years ago and I developed a nasty flinch that took a while to get away from. I still pull it out from time to time, but I have found that smaller cartridges and well designed bullets will kill just as well and are much easier to shoot accurately.
Same issue with one I inherited from my father-in-law. Winchester has a real punch to it, no matter the load.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
D’oh! Looks like that hurt! There is good reason why the 06 is generally considered top end of recoil for most folks. It is a powerful cartidge

Lou

If you are able to recall, what is the weight of that 30-06? Glad the smaller rounds are working well for you. Regardless of the round, I've been using a PAST recoil pad at the range for as long as I can remember (25 years?) and that makes a nice difference on the shoulder.

You are right on, the right bullet for the task is the most important factor in any of this.

If you are able to recall, what is the weight of that 30-06? Glad the smaller rounds are working well for you. Regardless of the round, I've been using a PAST recoil pad at the range for as long as I can remember (25 years?) and that makes a nice difference on the shoulder.

You are right on, the right bullet for the task is the most important factor in any of this.
It was about 7.5lbs. Tikka t3 with a 3-9 scope. The issue was mostly not having the but snug into her shoulder with an awkward shot angle. But since moving to smaller cartriges my shooting has dramatically improved, although now I shoot the 30-06 better than I used to.

Funny I had the same idea with my wife back when we were pretty poor and only had one rifle between us. Had her shoot the .22 at the range and a few 150gr low recoil type loads. Only had a box of 180gr left for our hunt but figured it would be fine.

She killed her buck, a great deer for public land Virginia. Unfortunately suffered some serious scope bite and needed stitches, still has a scar. First thing I did after paying the medical bills was buy her a 6.5 creedmoor!

I think most people shoot better with low recoil, myself included. I am slowly converting everything over to low recoil cartridges and spending more time shooting, and enjoying it. Took a big cow elk with my .25 creedmoor this year and now contemplating going down to a .22 creedmoor for even less recoil.

View attachment 519565View attachment 519566
She looks pretty happy with her buck considering the lick she took to get him.

Rich M

WKR
The women are tough - little lady I work with shoots 3006 and 180s. Told her she's nuts but it is what she shoots and she started missing this past year. Missed 2 - from flinching - needing to make a quick shot where she's not able to slowly squeeze. She also got a nice one.

McHerbie

FNG
30-06 with IMR4350 and180 deep curls kills them as good as it ever has, maybe better as it gets more seasoning.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy has a similar "battle-scar" from his Savage '06! ;) 1st time he shot it with a cheap package scope on it, it bit him. I really don't find the '06 that bad, grew up shooting deer with 12ga slugs... I also shoot a bit of .45/70 & .375 H&H every year, it's all relative.

SDHNTR

WKR
Load your 06 with some 190 Berger VLDs and it’ll kill any lower 48 game out to as far as anyone should shoot!

And I have some for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug!)

KenLee

WKR

View attachment 519565View attachment 519566
Nice character mark. You got yourself a tough one

Clarktar

WKR
I really like the 185 juggs also. Haven't seen any for awhile

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Care to mention where you found those 190s at? Been looking high and low for them. Have a new 06 and a bunch it h4350 that needs to eat!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Found them on a local gun site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk