30-06 limitations or does it not have the “cool factor”

Elite

WKR
I have been shooting a 30-06 since I started hunting and recently researched new calibers and the ballistics but ended up buying another 30-06 just in a lighter rifle. With the modern powders and high BC bullets available now the old 30-06 is impressive if you hand load. It also has a long neck and a twist rate that can handle heavy bullets. So if the newer cartridges 7mm prc/6.5prc claim to fame is being able to run heavier bullets and have long necks on the cartridges. Just wondering what I am missing? or why the 30-06 never get talked about much anymore? A 190grn accubond long range for example is impressive in the old 06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
30-06 is a classic for a reason, but it doesn't have the panache of "new" and, sub-208gr, the 30-cal projectiles do not push the envelope of sexy-BCs. (30-06 chamber, just like 300WM, was never set up for ultra sleek bullets.)

Where the 7 and 300PRCs start to shine is past 600, just due to drop and energy. If you are hunting with monos, you may want to change that to 500 or so.

I have a 30-06 and a 300 PRC .. kinda prefer the manners of the 06, but then, to me, it's hard to compete with some 348 love, so enjoy what you have, don't chace "race builds," and just get out and get after it. Newer is fun, not always better, but fresher and "new shiny."

Also, 130gr TTSX 06 @3400 is fun.

You are absolutely correct! I think a lot of the performance of these new “sexy” cartridges has a lot to do with new powders available. When the 308 was introduced it was very close in performance to a 30-06 considering its reduced capacity. With powders available today this is no longer the case.

The downside of 30-06 today is that when using longer bullets some actions and mag systems will be limited in ideal OAL’s. This is where the newer cartridges tend to shine, they understand what bullets are popular and seem to be designing cartridges to maximize the given actions and magazines.

Otherwise the 30-06 is capable of equal performance to modern cartridges of similar capacity. If I were building a 30-06 for hunting I’d look at mid-weight bullets 150-180gr with RL26 or H1000 as my go-to’s.

I’m in the sane boat as you in that I’ve always had 270 winchesters (poor high bc bullet selection compared to the .284” projectiles) but it performs very well even at extended ranges on deer and bear. I often recommend 280 over 270 or 30-06 but any of them are more than capable.

30-06 is a battle rifle caliber. It wasn't designed as a hunting caliber Checkmate Elmer!
In all seriousness, design features of newer cartridges make them inherently superior in terms of efficiency, runout, capacity for length, and minimal case stretch. The 06 was intended to feed reliably and kill people at a reasonable distance. Doesn't mean it can't be accurate or capable. But newer designs cater to our needs more effectively from a design standpoint. The 06 leaves a lot of capacity on the table for its size while neglecting to address the finer points of case design.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
You're looking at this from a realistic and practical perspective, using new innovation in products to enhance a proven cartridge. Good for you! You look at the 30-06 like I do the 308 WIN. You aren't going to wow the new crowd saying you shoot a 30-06 or .308 WIN and neither should you care, but they will deliver!

To be even more realistic, vast majority of hunting kills are under 300yds. With only a variance of +/- .2" most cartridges can follow this zero pattern:

100 200 300
1.5" 0 -8"

Straight on hold to 200 and horizontal crosshair level with the animal's back at 300 for Kentucky drop. Past 300 use the fancy dials or BDC reticle hash marks.

30-06 is a sexy cartridge and I too like the long neck cartridges. Load a 30-06 with a 151-166 Hammer bullet for 3200-3300fps and you can point it at anything!

Lawnboi

WKR
I built a 3006. It does what I need it to. Slick 180-185 gain bullets at 2800.

-2000fps at 600 yards
-6mph gun number at my home elevation
-Lapua brass
-tolerable suppressed

Probably should have just built a 6.5 prc, or another creedmoor.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Word ! The old -06 is a greatly overlooked, but even MR .270 Jack O’Connor
was writing about using a 30-06 with 200-220gr as a awsome round during he and his wife trips to Africa
nothing wrong with giving it a little facelift to go higher BC bullets

.264wm , 270, 280, 06 , are kinda Cinderell’s now days

Rich M

WKR
The 3006 cartridge is 101 years older than the 6.5 CM. How can there not be some technological improvements, and they seem to be more bullet related than case.

I do like less recoil but if I was gonna hunt elk or moose I'd prefer a stouter heavier bullet.

Seems to me if you can't get it done in 600 yards or even 400 yards which is nearing 1/4 mile, a hunter is deliberately trying to shoot an animal versus hunt it.

The hunter creates limitations both mentally and physically with respect to the preparation or method they choose, the rifle (in this case the great '06) is always capable of doing what it can.

Speaking of the '06 as a military cartridge is absolutely true however there's not a new modern manufactured '06 with modern reloading components that can't get it done in the same situations as many more modern rounds that folks believe they cannot be successful without.

It is in my opinion splitting hairs combined with less time in the field gaining experience hunting (insert elk, deer, pronghorn, et al) for many folks that the modern era has lead them to believe to a large extent the best/only way to get an animal is on the far side of 400 yds.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I have taken a lot of animals with mine over the years out to 500 yards. It really falls off the table after that but I don't really care to shoot any further so have been happy to keep using mine.

Many people say that new case designs (fatter/shorter, higher shoulder angle, less case taper) are more efficient in burning powder so you can get more velocity with less powder and/or not lose as much velocity going with a shorter barrel.

I've not seen any objective evidence of the above, so I'm not sure how true it is.

Anyhow, 30-06 was my first rifle and I still love it though I don't currently have that barrel screwed on. Since my only rifles are tikka's and I wanted to be able to shoot heavier bullets without being limited by the magazine length, I went with a shorter cartridge.

The '06 is right on the edge for powder capacity and using regular LR primers and medium burn powders. Other than the shape of the case, it seems to have optimized those aspects for a .473 bolt face, 30 cal, and case capacity. Of course there's other 30 cal options that provide more performance with 200gr bullets and utilizing LR primers and medium burn powders like 4350, like 300 rsaum or 300 rcm, but good luck finding a consistent brass supply and factory ammo.

I'm thinking that I need a CRF in true long action in 30-06 for my gun I'll keep forever and not mess with. Maybe I should get one of those on sale Sako s20s in '06. Edit: I think the s20 might actually just be push feed

Last edited:
Elite, I try not to chase the next shiny new caliber that gets overhyped and churned out by some of the rifle makers' marketing departments. There's a reason why the 270, '06, 7RM, and 300WM have been around for a long time. I appreciate the versatility of the 06 and use it for both deer and elk. I simply adjust the bullet weight depending on the game I'm hunting. Seems like these "new age" calibers are driven by marketing and the perception that the further away you can shoot at game the better hunter you will be. What's wrong with stalking closer and taking the easier shot. Just my 2 cents, not judging how others spend their hard earned money. To each is own.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
The limitations of a 30-06 are only in factory form with mag boxes at SAAMI length and slow barrel twist. If going custom, with a Wyatt’s extended box, a faster twist barrel, and perhaps longer throated chamber (depending on bullet preference), you could do nearly anything with a 30-06.

Tock-O, you are correct about more efficient cartridge design. Mass produced "Short, fat" cases started with the 300 WSM in 2001, 6.5 Creedmoor in 2007.

If any of you folks paid attention 25-30 years ago (probably a good number not even a twinkle at that point), Rick Jamison from Shooting Times developed (and patented, most important part) a line of cartridges that Winchester knocked off in creating the WSM line. Out of court they settled for a percent or set amount for each WSM rifle sold (by Winchester for sure, possibly others who chamber the cartridges) from what I recall.

SDHNTR, you have hit a key point. Fast twist barrels. I wonder how many guys understand that's what makes the newer lines of smaller cased cartridges what they are. Not magic pixie dust sprinkled on every chamber that's reamed or round that's chambered.

If traditional cartridges started coming with fast twist barrels either standard or as an option, I can see the amount of butt hurt that'll happen around here being able to push long streamlined bullets even faster and carry velocity to an even greater range from a century old cartridge than Mr. new and shiny 😂.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
Every person that is looking into new rifles I tell them 30-06 and almost as frequently I say 308. I don't have either but load for 30-06 it's no joke. It just doesn't have "flatbrim rizz". I googled that word a couple days again when my friend's 10 year old son told me I have none :cry:

Using h4350 and 150gr TTSX we got a friend's 30-06 to 3006fps without issue. He's going to try the 165s with Stabal6.5 and according to load data we should have good luck getting close to 2900. He's excited.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Very interesting points everyone. I am no expert but I have shot up to 220gr bullets in my 30-06 with a 1-10” twist. So I a bit confused how it can not keep up with the new twist rates? And also some of the new short fat cartridges can only fit 2 rounds in a hunting rifle this was a issue for me. Yes 1 bullet usually does the job but the not everything is perfect in the real world sometimes… I was trying to put the new shiny cartridges down just generally curious why a 30-06 with a 190gr ABLR with a muzzle velocity of 2650 can’t compete? I do agree that it is limited to 600 yards

Every person that is looking into new rifles I tell them 30-06 and almost as frequently I say 308. I don't have either but load for 30-06 it's no joke. It just doesn't have "flatbrim rizz". I googled that word a couple days again when my friend's 10 year old son told me I have none :cry:

Using h4350 and 150gr TTSX we got a friend's 30-06 to 3006fps without issue. He's going to try the 165s with Stabal6.5 and according to load data we should have good luck getting close to 2900. He's excited.

I don't know what that is but I think I'm glad I don't have it. At least I think I probably don't.

Very interesting points everyone. I am no expert but I have shot up to 220gr bullets in my 30-06 with a 1-10” twist. So I a bit confused how it can not keep up with the new twist rates? And also some of the new short fat cartridges can only fit 2 rounds in a hunting rifle this was a issue for me. Yes 1 bullet usually does the job but the not everything is perfect in the real world sometimes… I was trying to put the new shiny cartridges down just generally curious why a 30-06 with a 190gr ABLR with a muzzle velocity of 2650 can’t compete? I do agree that it is limited to 600 yards

Agree the '06 is mighty capable especially if you're at higher altitude hunting. With mine, which was an 11 twist, my 180 bullet would still have enough velocity to perform well on elk out to 800 and maybe further when hunting where I do, which is around 10k feet. But my own limit is 600 with no wind. So it doesn't matter for me anyway.