.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I bet like a headless snake striking or a bodyless snake head bighting, you can kill a T-Rex and it will still eat you. I've heard stories of crocks with their brains turned to mush trying to take a chomp.
No way, those things were probably more like turkeys, they’ll just flop around a bit if you brain them

Shraggs

WKR
Who really knows right, but it’s reported that large physically animals like bears their heart rates are much slower then prey so muscle and brain can still function a bit longer since is still oxygenated.

If it’s true, then t-Rex could still munch awhile tho dead for a bit.

My plan, set up a deer, eh t-Rex blind about 300 -400 yards out and take broadside just above and side of those little hands.

Axlrod

WKR
Why was walrus pulled?
Don't know anything about the walrus- didn't know anyone shot them till this thread. But it reminds me of a story.
Some influencer had posted a long drawn out story about shooting a bison on a ranch. A buddy of mine posted in the comments. "well that must have been as challenging as sneaking up on a broken down school bus!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:"

Took this one with a 62 grain gold dot over TAC at 85 yards back in February.
This is the third deer taken cleanly with this combo for me.
Black and white pic is a still taken from a wireless video camera at the shot.

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 106
The walrus is still in here, a few pages back.

I'm more curious why the poster didn't respond to any of the questions about it.

I was picturing that thing getting perforated by FMJs from a boat.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
That is somethin Gman!, props to a job well done! Ill gladly admit, I was 100% nay sayer when this thread started, but Iv since ( following the whole thread) have changed my thoughts.

I’m pretty married to a particular .375 for this season, but next season I’m super excited to trade in my 375(s) for a .223 for moose and bear, who knows, maybe mountain goat too. Very curious on the expiry time difference I will see between the two. I don’t care about meat loss, but I do care about a fast kill. From what I’m seeing, the expiry times with these small pills seem as quick, if not quicker then my experience with .375’s, which is quite a bit.

Plus, gives me a great excuse to buy another rifle 😃.

Thanks for posting that fine bear!!
I knew ya would come around haha! Look forward to seeing the wood Rokstok it’s gonna go in!!

Decker9

WKR
I knew ya would come around haha! Look forward to seeing the wood Rokstok it’s gonna go in!!

Years ago I owed a savage precision carbine in .223, amazing trapline rifle, Iv kicked myself for years for selling it.

I shot a big wolf once with it, about 15’ away, 45gr vmax in the chest. The body cavity looked like a grenade went off inside, after skinned, it was a purple body, not the regular pink lol. I’m excited to have a reason to get back into a .223, especially if it passes my “see for myself”, as it would be a great setup for my recoil sensitive daughter.

The rock stock unfortunately, has no place in my safe lol. Fine lines only!!

CMCctx

FNG
I sure wish I'd known about this thread! I've been a .223 supporter for years and have caught a lot of flack from family and friends (I'd like to point out that it was unwarranted due to my 100% shot/kill rate.... which is probably just now jinxed).

Had I known that so many others were interested I would have photographed the most recent autopsy. Both lungs were spaghetti and the heart was not quite as devastated, but still impressive. bullet was stopped in the rear part of the far shoulder almost in the ribs. Shot was made at sub-100 yards and he didn't make it 10 afterward. I have also had surprisingly good success with Hornady Interlock 60 grain. Holds together well and (again, hopefully not to jinx it) expands reliably.

What's funny about this last trip was I brought a friend and I guess he thought I was joking when I said what I was bringing. We get out there and he (I thought at the time) joked that I could use his spare rifle if I wanted to. I replied that I'd grown up hunting this property and it was in my family for many years before I was even thought of, I "knowed what I brung". First morning I see this broken-tined buck for a brief moment but took too long to decide if I'd shoot. I sent a message to my buddy that a shooter was coming his way and where to look if he was going where I expected him to go. He saw but didn't get a shot. That evening he mentioned, again, that I could use the spare .243 he brought. Again, I declined. Next evening he shoots a doe that went by him the same way the buck did the morning prior. I was goofing with a granola bar and spooked her, but was able to get a quick text that another shooter was headed his way. I headed his way when shooting light expired and he confirmed he shot the doe with his .270 (ammo type unknown). we followed the blood for hours until it dried up completely, searched longer but were forced to admit defeat. I'll be damned if I didn't see that doe the very next morning, being pursued by this same buck. Obviously one caliber produced, and one didn't. I'll let y'all decide.

I can't dump it all on the .270. This guy is a solid hunter and shooter. Just one of those off times, I think it was. I still give him shit for it, though.

Kicking myself for not knowing about this thread years ago. I would have documented by escapades much more thoroughly.

PXL_20231204_141347457.MP~2.jpgPXL_20231203_150224425.jpg

ElPollo

WKR
I sure wish I'd known about this thread! I've been a .223 supporter for years and have caught a lot of flack from family and friends (I'd like to point out that it was unwarranted due to my 100% shot/kill rate.... which is probably just now jinxed).

Had I known that so many others were interested I would have photographed the most recent autopsy. Both lungs were spaghetti and the heart was not quite as devastated, but still impressive. bullet was stopped in the rear part of the far shoulder almost in the ribs. Shot was made at sub-100 yards and he didn't make it 10 afterward. I have also had surprisingly good success with Hornady Interlock 60 grain. Holds together well and (again, hopefully not to jinx it) expands reliably.

What's funny about this last trip was I brought a friend and I guess he thought I was joking when I said what I was bringing. We get out there and he (I thought at the time) joked that I could use his spare rifle if I wanted to. I replied that I'd grown up hunting this property and it was in my family for many years before I was even thought of, I "knowed what I brung". First morning I see this broken-tined buck for a brief moment but took too long to decide if I'd shoot. I sent a message to my buddy that a shooter was coming his way and where to look if he was going where I expected him to go. He saw but didn't get a shot. That evening he mentioned, again, that I could use the spare .243 he brought. Again, I declined. Next evening he shoots a doe that went by him the same way the buck did the morning prior. I was goofing with a granola bar and spooked her, but was able to get a quick text that another shooter was headed his way. I headed his way when shooting light expired and he confirmed he shot the doe with his .270 (ammo type unknown). we followed the blood for hours until it dried up completely, searched longer but were forced to admit defeat. I'll be damned if I didn't see that doe the very next morning, being pursued by this same buck. Obviously one caliber produced, and one didn't. I'll let y'all decide.

I can't dump it all on the .270. This guy is a solid hunter and shooter. Just one of those off times, I think it was. I still give him shit for it, though.

Kicking myself for not knowing about this thread years ago. I would have documented by escapades much more thoroughly.

View attachment 722808View attachment 722809
What bullets are you using?

bubba580

FNG
Yeah. Everything thing I’ve shot with TMK’s has been absolutely wrecked when I open them up and look inside. I have no doubt that it’s dead. In open country I probably would have watched it drop within 50-60 yards… but where I am, 50-60 yards in thick cover can make stuff really hard to find. The few animals that I shot that actually ran have bled pretty good.. but it seems like t
Where on the body are you shooting them at for most of them to be drt?

According to most reports in this thread, and my own experiences as well, the majority of deer and pigs hit by the 77 grain tmk with typical heart/lung shots run about 10-40 yards before expiring, which is of course excellent.

I'm not doubting you at all, just curious about shot placement.