.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

CMCctx

FNG
What bullets are you using?
77gr Sierra TMK and Hornady InterLock 60gr. I've used others in the past that worked decently well, but the more I dug into the caliber I kept moving on to the incremental steps up. I have the utmost faith in both projectiles, but my sample size is limited to Whitetail, pigs, Axis, Fallow, and Aoudad. No moose or bear where I hunt, and haven't had the chance on an elk.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
77gr Sierra TMK and Hornady InterLock 60gr. I've used others in the past that worked decently well, but the more I dug into the caliber I kept moving on to the incremental steps up. I have the utmost faith in both projectiles, but my sample size is limited to Whitetail, pigs, Axis, Fallow, and Aoudad. No moose or bear where I hunt, and haven't had the chance on an elk.
You are using a interlock after reading and participating here?

CMCctx

FNG
You are using a interlock after reading and participating here?
Seeing as how my very first post outlined that I just found this thread (this site for that matter) two months ago, I'm not sure how to answer that question. I did wait to post until I read through the whole thread.

I guess if you're really ready to have your mind blown: I'll continue to use both unless I find evidence that one of them is not fit for use. This thread is obviously full of evidence that the 77gr TMK is fit for duty, which I'm also supportive of and if I had to put a ratio on my use it's probably 80/20 in favor of the TMK. In my (admittedly small sample size, don't recall offhand anyone posting about this projectile by name) first hand experience, inside of 100 yards the InterLock 60gr has been 100% successful, and truth be told I haven't used it past that (thick woods in Breckenridge, TX) but wouldn't feel bad about pushing it a little further (more open spaces in Kerrville, TX).

Axlrod

WKR
If people have read this thread and remain blinkered to the possibility of other projectiles being capable of killing animals as dead as the ones shot with the 77TMK they really have lost their objectivity.
Well I don't really know what blinkered means. But the 77 TMK works very well, has been available lately, and shoots good. So i don't have any reason to buy/test/shoot anything else in .224. I'm certain there are others, but why bother?

CMCctx

FNG
Blinkered = wearing blinkers (aka blinders)

I agree with @Tahr, I love this thread/concept but I've never shot a 77 TMK in my life; it's 73 ELDMs for me because that's what's readily available in my area.
I just found some more Black Hills 77gr TMK yesterday, but it would be nice to have a regular, reliable source! Never used ELDMs but after reading this thread I've been tempted to try them. Two of my rifles don't group super well with BH TMK.

ElPollo

WKR
If people have read this thread and remain blinkered to the possibility of other projectiles being capable of killing animals as dead as the ones shot with the 77TMK they really have lost their objectivity.
I actually think this thread has discussed a lot of different bullets for the 223. Of the top of my head, the ones I can think of are ELDM, ELDX, Bergers, Gold Dots, TTSX, DRT, Federal Fusion, AAC Black Tips, and Winchester power points. I don’t think anyone has said any of these bullets won’t kill if they are put in the right place. The discussion has been really focused on which of these maximize wound channels and TMKs, ELDM, and ELDX seem to be the leaders in that. Fusions and Gold Dots may perform similarly for wound channels, but have lower BCs. Initial comments on the AAC Black Tips suggest they may be similar to TMK and ELDM. The few responses on the DRT 79 gr suggest that they are the top tier among non-lead options. I tend to look at this thread to get intel on how different bullets might function on game.

turbo406

FNG
Forgive me if this was already answered as I am only about 39 pages in but gotta ask before it slips my mind. Form any info on the 80 eldm or eldx as compared to the 77 TMK? The eldx has promise of being a 77 TMK substitute that you can actually get your hands on.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with an 80 gr. ELDM/ELDX for some people is you can't load it to AR length mags. I tried with a 75 gr.and it didn't work.
Do I give up much with a 73 gr. ELDM? I can't remember much about them but I have loaded ammo for those and a very limited supply of TMK handloads.

turbo406

FNG
The problem with an 80 gr. ELDM/ELDX for some people is you can't load it to AR length mags. I tried with a 75 gr.and it didn't work.
Do I give up much with a 73 gr. ELDM? I can't remember much about them but I have loaded ammo for those and a very limited supply of TMK handloads.
Thats not the end of the world for me, I am going to by running them in tikka 223 and 22 250. Not really opposed if they shoot to changing out to an aics or a longer tikka style mag if it runs in the 223.

Forgive me if this was already answered as I am only about 39 pages in but gotta ask before it slips my mind. Form any info on the 80 eldm or eldx as compared to the 77 TMK? The eldx has promise of being a 77 TMK substitute that you can actually get your hands on.
Forum search functions usually suck but this one's is pretty good. You can search this thread only for posts by a user with a keyword.

1718247014690.png

My Tikka Varmint .223 Rem shoots the 75 gr ELDM very well, and the buck I killed last year had very little to say about it.

P

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_3609.jpegIMG_3604.jpeg

Just a couple of thin skinned yotes but holy shit the 75 grain Sabre rounds from AAC are some expanding bullets. The one with the back blown out went in the chest and came out there. The other one looks like it got both thighs good, about a golf ball size exit with lots of blood.

ianpadron

WKR
View attachment 724343View attachment 724345

Just a couple of thin skinned yotes but holy shit the 75 grain Sabre rounds from AAC are some expanding bullets. The one with the back blown out went in the chest and came out there. The other one looks like it got both thighs good, about a golf ball size exit with lots of blood.
Definitely looking for more results from the 75 grain Sabres, saw some cross sectionals on Snipers Hide and they looked pretty wicked, not terribly dissimilar to a TMK construction wise.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely looking for more results from the 75 grain Sabres, saw some cross sectionals on Snipers Hide and they looked pretty wicked, not terribly dissimilar to a TMK construction wise.
The 62 gr version is absolutely wicked on rock chucks. I finally was able to snag some of the 75 gr ammo a few weeks back.

Xnoheros

FNG
Howdy fellas - long time reader first time poster.

Canada is pretty cucked for the TMK it would seem, and the closest I’ve found locally is the 73g fusion - which is an open tipped Berger match bullet

They shoot very well out of my RAR, just wondering if anyone has any further feedback on this round
IMG_4383.jpeg