.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Thegman

WKR
A 223 w/77 tmk, specifically have taken oddles if big game - pigs, deer and elk, one elk at 803 yards by Form of course.

Thegman takes the holy grail threshold of “enough” gun for general big game by taking a medium grizzly with a not ideal shot and it drops dead in 50 yards… yet questions of ethics exist about the lack of lethality due to low ft pounds of energy.

Could pnwgator, form, thegman shoot the next level?

I saw on tv this island, it has dinosaurs - I’m think a 12 ton t-Rex. Would this get the community thinking…

Thoughts?
IDK, lizards are tough to kill quickly, 12 ton ones are probably especially tough to kill quickly. From what I've heard, you want to hit them 1/3 of the way above those little arms.
tyrannosaurus_rex_anatomical_diagram_by_prehistoricaart_dcqw8ag-fullview.jpg

Might be a long tracking job with no blood, but at least there should be big tracks to follow. You might need my dog.

Until that happens, the next project is a full frontal chest shot bear, but unfortunately this will have to be a black one, at least until after June 30th. I'm pretty confident of the outcome.

pbroski

FNG
IDK, lizards are tough to kill quickly, 12 ton ones are probably especially tough to kill quickly. From what I've heard, you want to hit them 1/3 of the way above those little arms.
View attachment 720243

Might be a long tracking job with no blood, but at least there should be big tracks to follow. You might need my dog.

Until that happens, the next project is a full frontal chest shot bear, but unfortunately this will have to be a black one, at least until after June 30th. I'm pretty confident of the outcome.
Depending on the angle, a shot to the neck vertebrae, spine, or hip, with a large caliber rifle loaded with solids is what I would do. That should drop it for good. Then a shot to the lungs to finish it.

ElPollo

WKR
View attachment 720243

Man, the backstraps on that thing look fricken huge. I’m in, but we are going to need a big crew to pack it out.

eric1115

WKR
View attachment 720243

Good news is that the "but the shoulder!" crowd won't have a whole lot to squawk about. T-Rex humerus and shoulder look pretty unintimidating.

Shraggs

WKR
View attachment 720243

Gold star on the homework!

Lungs above heart is interesting, need a good windage call or nice brain hit. But how thick is its chest compared to a bear? This might be the perfect proof the 223/77 can penetrate a skull!

Man, the backstraps on that thing look fricken huge. I’m in, but we are going to need a big crew to pack it out.
Yes i kinda missed the tons of meat to pack out! Think we need the whole 223/77 Clan for this job, hope Ryan can get a boat big enough... Maybe the new Disney boat is available for a week and the Clan.

Depending on the angle, a shot to the neck vertebrae, spine, or hip, with a large caliber rifle loaded with solids is what I would do. That should drop it for good. Then a shot to the lungs to finish it.
Sorry friend, this opportunity is exclusively for the 223/77 Clan.

IDK, I've had exactly the same experience with 308 and 30-06 on bears. Didn't seem to offer any wiggle room.

Like I say about bears: Hit em right, and they're not tough, hit em wrong, and they are.
Like pointed out above, I've found it surprisingly easy to hit them wrong, especially when you've been shooting deer and other cervids for years.
Can’t get more accurate than this, you are correct

I'm not sure that's a fair ask anymore. When it was sub 200 pages it was fair, but even that was a homework assignment most wouldn't have time for. I'm lucky I read it when i did. Now, it's at least 150 pages of reloading/ammo search/rifle selection/off topic drivel.

If there was a sticky post with the updated table of content, 100 pages of necropsy and kill photos/data, and maybe three or four redundant arguments by different fng/dissenters, that would be a fair assignment. Just enough to be like, "here's the data, here's photographs of proof, here's 5 people who already made the same argument you think might be new."

Tons of great info in here, but no way I'd read it start to finish at 360+ pages.
Why should anyone take the time to do that? If you want the information, read the thread… nobody is trying to convert anyone to shooting a 223 at big game, this thread is a huge collaboration of information that crumbles all of the fuddlore, I don’t care if anyone reads it, it’s accessible and great information for those willing to

People can continue to live by misconceptions, and most will, but if you want to understand ballistics and projectile choices better, there is a ton of golden information in this thread… if you think the 223 is a marginal cartridge at this point, you have a fairly large misunderstanding of both… doesn’t effect anyone but yourself and keeps some unintended humor in this thread when people chime in

Maverick1

WKR
View attachment 720243

Ah, geez. I just don’t think the .223 would have enough “knock down power” or the Spomer-inspired “down range energy” for a big old lizard like that! (Did I get it right, @PNWGATOR ???). LOL.

eric1115

WKR
Ah, geez. I just don’t think the .223 would have enough “knock down power” or the Spomer-inspired “down range energy” for a big old lizard like that! (Did I get it right, @PNWGATOR ???). LOL.
Not enough wallop factor if you're a Von Benedikt disciple. Those large reptilian species benefit from an increased frontal diameter, for a bit more authority on impact.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I bet like a headless snake striking or a bodyless snake head bighting, you can kill a T-Rex and it will still eat you. I've heard stories of crocks with their brains turned to mush trying to take a chomp.