.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Definitely looking for more results from the 75 grain Sabres, saw some cross sectionals on Snipers Hide and they looked pretty wicked, not terribly dissimilar to a TMK construction wise.

The bullets for them are cheap and available, but I haven't heard much yet about handloading performance. Posted this the other day on the Reloading forum here, but no responses:

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy fellas - long time reader first time poster.

Canada is pretty cucked for the TMK it would seem, and the closest I’ve found locally is the 73g fusion - which is an open tipped Berger match bullet

They shoot very well out of my RAR, just wondering if anyone has any further feedback on this round
View attachment 724439
I don't have any experience with the berger on game, but hornady match with the 73 eld-m is available readily in Canada and does work on game.

woods89

WKR

Canada is pretty cucked for the TMK it would seem, and the closest I’ve found locally is the 73g fusion - which is an open tipped Berger match bullet

They shoot very well out of my RAR, just wondering if anyone has any further feedback on this round
View attachment 724439
There's a couple examples with that bullet in this thread. I shot 1 doe with them. Broadside, in the lungs. The deer died quick. I would not expect a lot of exits.
I would not consider it to be in the same league as the TMK/ELD bullets.

Taudisio

WKR
Anyone know the OAL of the AAC 75’s? Thanks.
I can pull one apart if you are asking for the bullet length. I haven’t measured the COAL but they fit in a pmag so they aren’t that long. Once I have my coffee and get going I’ll pull some measurements.
Would be nice to see some gel or more game kills with 75 Sabre.
I shot one into gallon jugs and the results were the exact same as the 77gr TMK

Taudisio

WKR
COAL=2.223”
CBTO=1.834”
Powder appears to be a flat “disk” type.
More than 23.5gr powder, some flew out of my puller.
Bullet 75.3gr
.652” Base to ogive
1.040” bullet length

BLJ

WKR
COAL=2.223”
CBTO=1.834”
Powder appears to be a flat “disk” type.
More than 23.5gr powder, some flew out of my puller.
Bullet 75.3gr
.652” Base to ogive
1.040” bullet length
I was meaning projectile length. Answered my questions here. Thank you.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 724439
Amongst others, I use a line of custom made projectiles that use Berger jackets and a proprietary core. The 74 and 80 grain are quite exceptional on deer. Right up there in the top cluster of heavy for caliber .223 projectiles.
I think that better than just identifying the 77TMK as being top draw the greatest benefit of this thread is that it has confirmed and validated with data the usefulness of a whole range of heavy and not so heavy projectiles that are almost as good as each other on deer. And some wishful thinking and isolated examples on other large game species which I think based on my large deer experience is pushing the envelope a bit.

IDguy

FNG
I will add that the 75 Hornady BTHP seems to stay together well and slightly mushroom or tumble upon impact. Every deer I have shot with it has had a 1 to 2 inch exit hole, instant blood trail, and has died within 30 meters. Everything I have shot with them I have gotten complete pass through.

77 SMK seem to frag out more. This is consistent with their historical performance in ballistic gel, animals, and humans. You typically get 4 inches of straight penetration, then a violent yaw, and the bullet breaks apart at the cannelure and frags out. Massive damage. Almost too much but very effective.

The 64 gr Nosler TBBC FBI duty load penetrates very, very well, and tracks absolutely true even when shooting through bone.

No, I don't work for the FBI. You couldn't pay me enough.

Thegman

WKR
I will add that the 75 Hornady BTHP seems to stay together well and slightly mushroom or tumble upon impact. Every deer I have shot with it has had a 1 to 2 inch exit hole, instant blood trail, and has died within 30 meters. Everything I have shot with them I have gotten complete pass through.

77 SMK seem to frag out more. This is consistent with their historical performance in ballistic gel, animals, and humans. You typically get 4 inches of straight penetration, then a violent yaw, and the bullet breaks apart at the cannelure and frags out. Massive damage. Almost too much but very effective.

The 64 gr Nosler TBBC FBI duty load penetrates very, very well, and tracks absolutely true even when shooting through bone.

No, I don't work for the FBI. You couldn't pay me enough.
I've heard some good things about the Hornady 75 BTHP as well on game. Would be interesting to see and hear about more results, good and/or not so good.

ThatDUDE

WKR
What kind of yardages and impact velocity have you used these at? I am thinking of using them for my son’s mule deer hunt.