.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

mddat

FNG
Genuinely curious why you wouldn’t hunt elk or for that matter any other large or larger game animal with a 77TMK out of a .223?
He is new and obviously hasn’t read the thread, your going to get the same old answer as every other new guy that post without reading

Never gonna find me in the mountains, hunting for elk with a .223, just sayin!
Read the entire thread and if your still not convinced then maybe come back and explain why instead of “just saying”

Genuinely curious why you wouldn’t hunt elk or for that matter any other large or larger game animal with a 77TMK out of a .223?
First of all, to each his own, not saying you shouldn’t, just that I wouldn’t . I’m not a big risk taker when it comes to my elk. I manage my points very carefully, and when I draw a coveted tag, I’m not taking any chances. I need to be able to shoot significant distances, at all manner of angles, in all kinds of wind and weather, way off the beaten path. I trust my 300WSM with 180gr ELDX handloads implicitly. Just like I trust my .223 for varmits. Without perfect conditions (normal for elk) I’m opting for the heavier bullet. Could I kill an elk with my .223, probably! But I once caught a 48 inch Musky with a fly rod too….would I do it again? Hell no, I was lucky to boat dat bitch, let alone revive her afterwards. Why take that chance with a valuable tag and a beast of an animal. You do what you do, I will follow your thread….. seriously, good luck!

atmat

WKR
First of all, to each his own, not saying you shouldn’t, just that I wouldn’t . I’m not a big risk taker when it comes to my elk. I manage my points very carefully, and when I draw a coveted tag, I’m not taking any chances. I need to be able to shoot significant distances, at all manner of angles, in all kinds of wind and weather, way off the beaten path. I trust my 300WSM with 180gr ELDX handloads implicitly. Just like I trust my .223 for varmits. Without perfect conditions (normal for elk) I’m opting for the heavier bullet. Could I kill an elk with my .223, probably! But I once caught a 48 inch Musky with a fly rod too….would I do it again? Hell no, I was lucky to boat dat bitch, let alone revive her afterwards. Why take that chance with a valuable tag and a beast of an animal. You do what you do, I will follow your thread….. seriously, good luck!
Be honest: have you read all 300 pages of the actual thread?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
77 SMK is good for practice.
I handload but I like to try factory loads from time to time, I bought 77TMK ammo from Stand1 Armory & from AAC. There is also Black Hills, so there is 3 brands I know of, likely others.
Is there a consensus on which factory 77 grain TMK ammo seems to be the most consistent? I’m most interested in velocity spread over “groups”.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If I’m not mistaken, Black Hills has come the most recommended.

I’m cheap and lazy so I shoot the 73 ELDM
Yeah I’ve strictly shot 73 ELDM also. Was thinking about taking the leap to the 77 TMK once I get my Tikka .223 put back together.

All the black hills stuff I’ve found has been labeled as 5.56 marketed towards the AR platform nerds. I’ll be shooting it out of my 20” .223 8 twist Tikka bolt action. Is this the stuff being used?

atmat

WKR
Yeah I’ve strictly shot 73 ELDM also. Was thinking about taking the leap to the 77 TMK once I get my Tikka .223 put back together.

All the black hills stuff I’ve found has been labeled as 5.56 marketed towards the AR platform nerds. I’ll be shooting it out of my 20” .223 8 twist Tikka bolt action. Is this the stuff being used?
Yep. Tikkas shoot it fine.

I’ve shot plenty of the AAC 77TMK in 556. Shot just fine.

mt100gr.

WKR
Wow, some people can read more than a word at a time…. I know that could surprise you! What is it, no one can express an opinion that doesn’t mesh wit yours?
I haven't expressed my opinion.

I was asking a genuine question that is often asked when new members post similar to yours on the first day. There's a lot to be learned if you actually do read the entire thread.

Thank you, though. Your answer speaks volumes. Just sayin'

I haven't expressed my opinion.

I was asking a genuine question that is often asked when new members post similar to yours on the first day. There's a lot to be learned if you actually do read the entire thread.

Thank you, though. Your answer speaks volumes. Just sayin'

fwafwow

WKR
And your comments speak volumes as well. If you had no opinion, then why even comment? Seems pointless.
I think he was genuinely trying to he helpful. Your first post in this thread, on your first day, is typical of someone who read the thread title only and weighs in with a quick off the cuff post. If you did read (or do read) the entire thread and you disagree with the premise of the thread and want to say so, great - but some substantive basis for the same would help the discussion.

Many do disagree with the premise, but the soundness and/or amount of logic behind those differing viewpoints, varies.

Antares

WKR
I’m cheap and lazy so I shoot the 73 ELDM

Well I guess I'm in good company. I'm also shooting the 73 ELDM exclusively for hunting.

You think you're cheap, @atmat? I'm switching back to the 68 BTHP for the off season! Now that's cheap...