.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
When people say they don’t mean to be rude… they actually do mean to be rude. What is your point?

That if had just read the entire thread, you would know there were only a few bull elk that were specifically posted. It is obvious from your responses that you have. Not read the entire thread, because you are saying things, and asking things that were covered in detail that would be obvious.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Sadly its not. Plenty of folks on here have been shit on for even just using the wrong rings. God forbid they drop something besides a swfa on a tikka

Can you quote the post where someone was “shit on” for using the wrong rings?

I’m beginning to understand that people have a hard time separating “would like objective, logical evidence” from “speaking their opinion”.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, to each his own, not saying you shouldn’t, just that I wouldn’t . I’m not a big risk taker when it comes to my elk. I manage my points very carefully, and when I draw a coveted tag, I’m not taking any chances. I need to be able to shoot significant distances, at all manner of angles, in all kinds of wind and weather, way off the beaten path. I trust my 300WSM with 180gr ELDX handloads implicitly. Just like I trust my .223 for varmits. Without perfect conditions (normal for elk) I’m opting for the heavier bullet. Could I kill an elk with my .223, probably! But I once caught a 48 inch Musky with a fly rod too….would I do it again? Hell no, I was lucky to boat dat bitch, let alone revive her afterwards. Why take that chance with a valuable tag and a beast of an animal. You do what you do, I will follow your thread….. seriously, good luck!
I assume you are loading the 178 ELD X, out of curiosity what are you getting for velocity? How far are you willing to shoot at game with this combo? In how much wind? I’m not trolling, genuinely curious. I’ve always hunted with a 300WSM and love the cartridge. 185 VLD’s , 185 Juggernaut’s and 200gr ELDx they have all worked sufficiently. This was my first year hunting with the .223 77gr TMK combo and it preformed exactly as advertised in this thread. I would have no concerns hunting elk with this combo inside of 500 yds ( 1800FPS). If your anything like me you’ll find yourself shooting tons more, becoming more proficient reading wind and have way more confidence in the field. Just my $0.02 from someone who has hunted with both.

That if had just read the entire thread, you would know there were only a few bull elk that were specifically posted. It is obvious from your responses that you have. Not read the entire thread, because you are saying things, and asking things that were covered in detail that would be obvious.
I was specifically talking to Sadler, not you! I wanted to know the distance of his bull , no one else’s. I can plainly see the other posts, the distances and the wound channels…. Is it necessary to be a jerk?

Tmac

WKR
Unfortunately a 223 isn’t legal for elk here, so I need to figure out something else for my daughter, I’m thinking a compact rokstok and either rebarreling my 308 to a 6creed or getting her an 8 twist 243 and keeping the 308 (most likely) but she’ll be using my 223 for spring bear, and I’ll be using it for all of my rifle hunting
Faced the same dilemma. About went with the 8 twist Tikka 243 for my grands, but ended up getting a Howa mini in 6 ARC for a good price off gunbroker. So that is another route to consider, as is low recoil ammo for the 308. Used some low recoil ammo in 7mm-08 for my nephew 15 years or so ago, worked well to 200 yards, which was as far as we used it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I was specifically talking to Sadler, not you! I wanted to know the distance of his bull , no one else’s. I can plainly see the other posts, the distances and the wound channels….

You mean the one that he stated the range on plainly?

Is it necessary to be a jerk?

Is “jerk” what you call someone when they are asking for clarification from someone that claims to have read the whole thread, but clearly hasn’t by what they are writing that has been gone over dozens of times?

Y’all this thread is 302 pages. I’ve read the whole thing and I hardly remember anything that happened before page 250. I think y’all need to accept that you’re going to have to restate some of your points to new readers
Thank you for being the voice of reason. Surprising to me how defensive and critical people can be relative to an opinion. Well, I have learned that new readers are not very welcome.

You mean the one that he stated the range on plainly?

Is “jerk” what you call someone when they are asking for clarification from someone that claims to have read the whole thread, but clearly hasn’t by what they are writing that has been gone over dozens of times?
No, not really…. A jerk is clearly you! One who has no tolerance, no empathy, and no common sense.
Plus, Sadler enthusiastically responded that his elk was at 400 yards. Apparently the only one offended was you! Get a life dude!

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
No, not really…. A jerk is clearly you! One who has no tolerance, no empathy, and no common sense.
Plus, Sadler enthusiastically responded that his elk was at 400 yards. Apparently the only one offended was you! Get a life dude!
Really?

Take a moment and just read and learn and allow your mind to absorb what is posted here.

Yes really, did you send that same response to him?
I think I’ll just duck out of this thread, I got no time for the negativity and over zealous comments by some of your fans.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
There is a ton of information here if you’re willing to open your mind and just read and absorbe.

Ask questions. Filter through the replies. Learn.

The entire website is this way.

Precisely why this thread exists on this specific forum.

It’s a wonderful online place to absorbe an incredible amount of first hand knowledge.

You guys really should warn people that newbies are not tolerated. It would save both of us valuable time. The fact that you can’t ask a question or make an observation if it is contained somewhere in your 300 pages is a pretty sad testament. I am discouraged, and no longer care to understand or absorb any more of this subject matter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
You guys really should warn people that newbies are not tolerated. It would save both of us valuable time.

You don’t have to gaslight- most issues are with people who are ignorant of the subject and refuse to read the information so that they may not be ignorant of the subject- as you are showing. There isn’t much need for “opinions” about what bullets do in tissue as there is overwhelming evidence and quite a bit of data on what they do, if someone wanted to be educated.

No one with a functional level of intelligence could read this entire thread- the links to peer reviewed medical terminal ballistics research, gel tests, dozens upon dozens of former disbelievers that tried it and admitted they were wrong, seen the hundreds of wound pics with the resulting impact velocities from antelope to bull moose-still and still come up with what you have written.

The fact that you can’t ask a question or make an observation if it is contained somewhere in your 300 pages is a pretty sad testament. I am discouraged, and no longer care to understand or absorb any more of this subject matter.

You didn’t want to “absorb” it when you didn’t read the entire thread as you stated you did. “Opinion” is not objective reality. What you are seeing here is the refusal of people to value in “I like/I think/I feel” based on nothing but emotion without evidence- commonly called “opinion”; on the same level as logic, reason, and demonstrable evidence.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me the coal of the black hills 77tmk? Im checking to make sure they fit in aics mags. Assuming they will. Id measure myself but im out at sea. Never used a chassis but thinking about getting a mdt hnt26