.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
First of all, to each his own, not saying you shouldn’t, just that I wouldn’t . I’m not a big risk taker when it comes to my elk. I manage my points very carefully, and when I draw a coveted tag, I’m not taking any chances. I need to be able to shoot significant distances, at all manner of angles, in all kinds of wind and weather, way off the beaten path. I trust my 300WSM with 180gr ELDX handloads implicitly. Just like I trust my .223 for varmits. Without perfect conditions (normal for elk) I’m opting for the heavier bullet. Could I kill an elk with my .223, probably! But I once caught a 48 inch Musky with a fly rod too….would I do it again? Hell no, I was lucky to boat dat bitch, let alone revive her afterwards. Why take that chance with a valuable tag and a beast of an animal. You do what you do, I will follow your thread….. seriously, good luck!
Get it.

Think about what’s required.

Terminal ballistic performance. I.E. wound channel and depth of penetration at the distance you desire and then find the optimized bullet for your application with the lowest recoil to offer the highest hit rate. Bullet construction and bullet design matter! Build your rifle around a bullet in a delivery system that is robust and repeatable.

Get it.

Think about what’s required.

Terminal ballistic performance. I.E. wound channel and depth of penetration at the distance you desire and then find the optimized bullet for your application with the lowest recoil to offer the highest hit rate. Bullet construction and bullet design matter! Build your rifle around a bullet in a delivery system that is robust and repeatable.
Hey man, thanks for the reasonable response. I totally agree with you and understand the point of the thread…. bullet construction and design matter more than most hunters realize. I am a die hard re loader, so I get it. You can kill most any animal with the perfect shot placement of the right bullet in a caliber you can handle. I was commenting on my fear of being underpowered on an elk hunt .
Thanks for understanding, I didn’t mean to still the pot!

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man, thanks for the reasonable response. I totally agree with you and understand the point of the thread…. bullet construction and design matter more than most hunters realize. I am a die hard re loader, so I get it. You can kill most any animal with the perfect shot placement of the right bullet in a caliber you can handle. I was commenting on my fear of being underpowered on an elk hunt .

In the interest of carrying on this discussion, can you provide some additional detail on what you mean by “Underpowered”? Does this relate to the size of the wound? The distance at which you may shoot? The ability to buck wind?

grfox92

WKR
First of all, to each his own, not saying you shouldn’t, just that I wouldn’t . I’m not a big risk taker when it comes to my elk. I manage my points very carefully, and when I draw a coveted tag, I’m not taking any chances. I need to be able to shoot significant distances, at all manner of angles, in all kinds of wind and weather, way off the beaten path. I trust my 300WSM with 180gr ELDX handloads implicitly. Just like I trust my .223 for varmits. Without perfect conditions (normal for elk) I’m opting for the heavier bullet. Could I kill an elk with my .223, probably! But I once caught a 48 inch Musky with a fly rod too….would I do it again? Hell no, I was lucky to boat dat bitch, let alone revive her afterwards. Why take that chance with a valuable tag and a beast of an animal. You do what you do, I will follow your thread….. seriously, good luck!
I thought this was a very reasonable response.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Sadler

WKR
I totally get the fear of being underpowered. I had the same fears but had to try this for myself. Despite all the pictures and proof I just couldn’t really wrap my head around a 223 killing big game. So I switched to the 223 for my Idaho elk hunt last year and killed my bull without issue. He died just as fast if not faster than the elk I’ve killed with big 30s. Maybe get a cow tag and ease your way into it. Once you see it first hand, you’ll become a true believer.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Probably a bit light for bear
FWIW I’ve been trying to get @Ryan Avery and @robby denning talked into funding an AK Coastal Brown Bear filmed .223 77TMK expedition for this thread and this site.

PLEASE help them be convinced to send me and @Formidilosus
and a cameraman to AK kill a coastal brown bear with the .223!

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Probably a bit light for bear
So I think a lot of people read posts like this that sound entirely rational to you if you are new to this idea, and they think you are trolling them because there are literally dozens of successful bear kills documented in this thread with a 223, and dozens of elk, and even a few moose. It can be a hard thing to get your head around the fact that such a cute little cartridge can do so much damage with the right bullet. It’s also true that marketing within the industry is telling you that it can’t. But take some time to go through the information presented here. It might change how you think about a few things. And start back at the beginning of the thread where it starts out by saying “bullets matter more than head stamps”.

FWIW I’ve been trying to get @Ryan Avery and @robby denning to funding an AK Coastal Brown Bear filmed .223 77TMK expedition for this thread and this site.

PLEASE help them be convinced to send me and @formidilosous and a cameraman to AK kill a coastal brown bear with the .223!
I think the video would benefit from having a total newb along to offer perspective that would otherwise be missed by you old professionals. I graciously volunteer my time to join this venture.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
70 deer a year? One in the morning and one in the evening....for over a month? Or is it just one per day for two months?
It's 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 a hunt. I hunt at a minimum once a fortnight all year round. 75% with the .223. Different countries do things differently. It all goes to a soup kitchen/charity.IMG_8181.jpg

Last edited:
In the interest of carrying on this discussion, can you provide some additional detail on what you mean by “Underpowered”? Does this relate to the size of the wound? The distance at which you may shoot? The ability to buck wind?
Sure, for me it’s mostly about down range energy. My son and I each shot bulls last year, one at 375 yards and the other at 622. I could see the visible shock of my son’s bull through my binocs. At close quarters I believe the .223 loaded properly can be devastating, I’ve seen it make a mess of an antelope. I’m primarily hunting elk, during migrations, in some pretty nasty back country. I can’t afford to chase a wounded animal through some of that crap.
Having said that, I have shot a few in close quarters…. If I can kill them with my bow, I can certainly kill them with a .223. Close quarters has not been the norm, however. Sorry long response!

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Sure, for me it’s mostly about down range energy. My son and I each shot bulls last year, one at 375 yards and the other at 622. I could see the visible shock of my son’s bull through my binocs. At close quarters I believe the .223 loaded properly can be devastating, I’ve seen it make a mess of an antelope. I’m primarily hunting elk, during migrations, in some pretty nasty back country. I can’t afford to chase a wounded animal through some of that crap.
Having said that, I have shot a few in close quarters…. If I can kill them with my bow, I can certainly kill them with a .223. Close quarters has not been the norm, however. Sorry long response!
Do your due diligence here on the ‘energy’ argument.

If you are willing to dive in with an open mind I’m certain it’ll be an enlightening journey.

Do your due diligence here on the ‘energy’ argument.

If you are willing to dive in with an open mind I’m certain it’ll be an enlightening journey.
I am willing to dive in, I’ve been considering a change for my Wisconsin and Minnesota deer hunts. With only a few exceptions all my deer have been killed at less than 100 yards. Now, the .223 thought process starts to shine for me. That’s why I started reading the thread. I’m open, I just made the mistake of starting with drawing my line in the sand with Elk. I have a bear hunt in Idaho at the end of May….maybe it’s worth a try!

I totally get the fear of being underpowered. I had the same fears but had to try this for myself. Despite all the pictures and proof I just couldn’t really wrap my head around a 223 killing big game. So I switched to the 223 for my Idaho elk hunt last year and killed my bull without issue. He died just as fast if not faster than the elk I’ve killed with big 30s. Maybe get a cow tag and ease your way into it. Once you see it first hand, you’ll become a true believer.
Actually, that is a good idea…. I will grab a late season cow tag and experiment. But first a deer or two! Curious….. how far out was the bull you shot?
Thanks