.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

mcr-85

WKR
Wouldn't the velocity and altitude have quite a bit to do with the stability of the 77s in a 1-9? I have a 22-250ai that is a 1-9 that I have considered shooting them in. It shoots the 69 tmk really well

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

chamois

FNG
Which bullet do you like more ? The TMK or ELDm ? I’ve got a 1-8 22-250 I’ve only shot 77gr TMK’s out of
For what I have seen so far the 77TMK is a better killer than the 88ELD. It provided plenty of penetration, destroyed more tissue, and produced faster kills than the 88ELDM. These gave greater penetration and much narrower wounds along the bullet path.
I did not use them on this trip but by my experience shooting deer with them I'd rather shoot the 75ELDMs better then the 88s.
The disclaimer is that I only shot 17 animals this time due to nasty weather during 5 of the 7 day hunt, so the results could be biased due to the small sample.

KenLee

WKR
Ok screw it. Going to keep this Howa (as long as it's a shooter) because it looks cool for my son to shoot and get a Tikka in 223. Because why shouldn't we both have cheap to shoot guns.
Try the 60 gr Partitions.
My BLR 22-250 with 1 in 14 twist shoots them ok and blows quarter size exits in the far shoulder. May be good from your Howa 223.

Wouldn't the velocity and altitude have quite a bit to do with the stability of the 77s in a 1-9? I have a 22-250ai that is a 1-9 that I have considered shooting them in. It shoots the 69 tmk really well

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yes those factors matter in general, but they're probably not going to matter enough to make a 77gr bullet stabilize in a 9 twist 223 barrel. 22-250 has a huge speed edge on the 223, and the 69 tmk is shorter/ lighter than the 77 tmk.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
What are the findings among those with experience with both bullets:
Is there a significant performance difference between the 77 TMK and the 88 ELD, given equal terminal velocity above 2000 fps?

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3184449" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
What are the findings among those with experience with both bullets:
Is there a significant performance difference between the 77 TMK and the 88 ELD, given equal terminal velocity above 2000 fps?

Not that I can tell, if I had to pick one and be done with it it would be the 88 only due to availability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in February of 2023 after sporadically reading for about a week and a half; all I can say is, this thread has some of most diverse real world data related to actual bullet performance I’ve seen on any forum , truly impressive peoples. Bravo!

Now, I’ve seen this thread on the “new post” for the year or so I’ve been on here, and truth be told, I pooh poohed it. Why would I ever consider such a small round, after all, I wanna humanely take animals?

A weekend or two ago I listen episode 64 of the Hornady podcast, and I stumbled across this thread while the info they presented was fresh on my mind. How exactly does an animal die? What systems need to be affected, etc.? All this made me think of frangible bullets and shot placement, and here comes this thread, my mind is blown. Again, Bravo!

Marshfly

WKR
So, shot the cool looking Howa 223 today. So much fun. Shocked at the SWFA 6x42. Was easily ringing 6" plates at 300yds.

Just hit the button on another 6x42 so I can get in the backorder line and headed to the local shops tomorrow to see who has a Tikka 223 in stock.

After reading @Marshfly's issue with a slow twist Howa (turns out it's a short action, not a Mini) I'm offering up my Howa Mini 1:8" .223 takeoff barrel for anyone cursed with one of the early (2015-2020ish?) 1:9" twist Howa Minis. If that describes one you reading this, send me a message and we'll work out shipping.

Edit: barrel has been spoken for.

Last edited:
A couple questions for the 223 mega thread. And no I didn’t read the entire thread.

I bought a 223 for practice. I probably won’t hunt with it much. I’ll reload for it. What bullets are recommended for target practice? 77 TMK’s are more expensive than 75 ELD’s. BC looks close on paper so I’m assuming practice with either would be about the same. Or should I be looking at something different for practice?

What brass? I don’t mind buying premium like Lapua if it will actually matter. Obviously longevity is important since this setup is to shoot more.

What suppressor is recommended for a 223? I have a few but they are big high volume cans. With the 223 being a lot smaller cartridge I’m assuming I could get by with a lot smaller suppressor than say a Hyperion.

Regards, Branden

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I bought a 223 for practice. I probably won’t hunt with it much. I’ll reload for it. What bullets are recommended for target practice? 77 TMK’s are more expensive than 75 ELD’s. BC looks close on paper so I’m assuming practice with either would be about the same. Or should I be looking at something different for practice?

If not using for animals, whatever rod cheap and shoots decent with a decent BC- 68 or 75gr Hornady HPBT or 73gr ELD-M, 77gr SMK, etc.

What brass? I don’t mind buying premium like Lapua if it will actually matter. Obviously longevity is important since this setup is to shoot more.

It doesn’t really matter. You can lose your mind worrying about all the nonsense, or just shoot whatever brass and toss it after 4-5 firings.

What suppressor is recommended for a 223? I have a few but they are big high volume cans. With the 223 being a lot smaller cartridge I’m assuming I could get by with a lot smaller suppressor than say a Hyperion.

Regards, Branden

It isn’t required, but a Hyperion sounds great on a 223. Really any decent 6-7” can, there is no massive difference between any of them. I would and do happily shoot a $450 JK Armament suppressor on them.

A couple questions for the 223 mega thread. And no I didn’t read the entire thread.

Regards, Branden
75gr ELD is a great BC bullet but it won't fit in the factory Tikka magazine. There's lots of options for bullets. I've not tried them but RMR supposedly makes a good 75gr bullet for a great price. PSA makes 77gr OTM ammo for 55cents a round with decent accuracy if you want to skip the reloading bench.

I don't believe brass is a huge factor with 223. It's easy to find a vendor selling lake city or similar brass processed and ready to load.

Don't have much of an opinion but I'd love to have a Hyperion over my heavy form 1. That or a Otter Creek OCM5.

Juan_ID

WKR

Regards, Branden
If you’re wanting to shoot it in factory form the 75 eld’s will be too long too feed from the mag. I have shot a pile of 73 eld’s and 75bthp’s. Both have shot just as well as the tmk’s.

I have also loaded a fair bit of all 3 projectiles into lapua brass. I have since sold it and gone to starline. Haven’t done much load work up at all, but don’t anticipate having any issues as all of my early 223 reloads were loaded in pmc brass and they shot just fine but only lasted about 5 firings before they started to give out.

I think any suppressor would work fine, I have an omega and a Hyperion k, both work just fine on the 223. I will likely use the Hyperion on it primarily as it’s a little more compact than the omega and I don’t really need the added recoil reduction the omega provides.

Juan_ID

WKR
Little late to the party… Hadn’t refreshed the page and got caught up in something else while I was replying. ☺️

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the .222 Rem used to be a very popular cartridge for deer culling in NZ.
Yes. Many many thousands of deer were shot by government cullers and commercial meat hunters during the 60's and 70's with the .222. The government supplied cullers with .222 ammo and subsidised Sako and BSA rifles in that caliber. The .222 eventually lost favour to the .223 which is still very popular. I have used both for 55 years of hunting both commercially and privately. This year I have shot 18 deer with the .223 using 60 to 80 grn bullets.
This thread sort of picks up on what we have been doing en masse for decades - extracting the max out of the .223 for no fuss game animal hunting. And faster twists and heavier bullets have now turned that on its head and made it even so much more effective.