.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
A couple questions for the 223 mega thread. And no I didn’t read the entire thread.

I bought a 223 for practice. I probably won’t hunt with it much. I’ll reload for it. What bullets are recommended for target practice? 77 TMK’s are more expensive than 75 ELD’s. BC looks close on paper so I’m assuming practice with either would be about the same. Or should I be looking at something different for practice?

What brass? I don’t mind buying premium like Lapua if it will actually matter. Obviously longevity is important since this setup is to shoot more.

What suppressor is recommended for a 223? I have a few but they are big high volume cans. With the 223 being a lot smaller cartridge I’m assuming I could get by with a lot smaller suppressor than say a Hyperion.

Regards, Branden
Out of everything Iv shot, if I could go back, I’d buy a few thousand 73 eldm. Assuming you’re shooting a tikka they will fit in the factory mag and factory tikka chambers seem to like them. They have a similar bc to the tmk.

Lapua is nowhere to be found right now but if you’re not going to lose your brass it’s what I prefer. Just less messing around with culling, removing primer crimps and everything else that sucks about cheap brass.

Nothing wrong with a big can.

In todays market, with a factory tikka I’d probably buy 200-400 adi 55 blitz king factory rounds off Global ordinance break in with those, and fill them up with tac tipped with a 73eldm. Primers are not crimped on the adi brass. I’ll never remove primer crimps from 223 brass again.

Being that you may shoot in the cold a lot I’d probably work up a Varget load as well. Unless Xbr every cokes back again.

BLJ

WKR
55 BK have shot really well in every tikka Iv used them in…. Much like the 73.
I was thinking generally in reference to the ammo. Not Tikka specifically like you were talking about. I miss read.

I will say the 69’s have done well in my Ruger American Ranch.

It doesn’t really matter. You can lose your mind worrying about all the nonsense, or just shoot whatever brass and toss it after 4-5 firings.

Is that normal for 223? 4-5 firings? For what it is for I definitely won’t be leaning on it.
In todays market, with a factory tikka I’d probably buy 200-400 adi 55 blitz king factory rounds off Global ordinance break in with those, and fill them up with tac tipped with a 73eldm. Primers are not crimped on the adi brass. I’ll never remove primer crimps from 223 brass again.

Being that you may shoot in the cold a lot I’d probably work up a Varget load as well. Unless Xbr every cokes back again.
Thanks for the link. That seems like the easy button to start with. And fairly inexpensive.

Regards, Branden

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Came across this as I was drinking my mud this morning. "A certain forum" and thread are being talked about. So much wrong in this video but it just goes to show that others just don't want to open their minds. World is full of experts.
More tmk's for me.........

Randy

fwafwow

WKR
Came across this as I was drinking my mud this morning. "A certain forum" and thread are being talked about. So much wrong in this video but it just goes to show that others just don't want to open their minds. World is full of experts.

Randy

I started to skip it, but then I was drawn in. Then I was going to list some of the "points" they made, but they clearly didn't read this thread (although the host did reference 77g TMKs). Can we prompt these two to join the forum, or at least lurk and read this? I'd like to see some substance behind their views.

The best line IMHO was when they both said that because a state said the minimum elk cartridge was 270 Win that "there must be a really good reason." Yes, government decisions, including on arbitrary items, are always sound.

What brand??
It’s a mix of lake city, federal, Winchester, and but mostly Hornady. All once fired, still has the primer in it. I just collect them up after a range session and put them in my bucket. I don’t reload, so I just take them to the local recycling place.

Randy

It falls in line with most podcasts--BS about a topic that you haven't fully researched and have little to no real experience with (thinking of those many Vortex podcasts on YouTube). There are some good ones out there, but most are trash because every company and group of buddies thinks they need a podcast.

Shot placement is Key as always just looked at the regs for my state and from what I gather any ceterfire in legal so aim small miss small.