2022 Ford Lightning

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
The grid as it is can not handle a majority of citizens driving E vehicles. That needs to change, along with charging station availability of course. We're a long ways out from both. The government is forcing the issue with the manufacturer directly and indirectly. Of course, the real benefit is we just plug into the magic wall and we have clean energy, right?
As has already been said, a conversion over time to nat gas would make sense. But when politics get involved common sense goes away fast.

If only they could figure out how make one run on "unicorn farts". Here in northern Minnesota there is a company that does cold weather testing of vehicles. I've talked to drivers that say the batteries don't handle the cold very well . Most say they wouldn't purchase a current electric vehicle in our climate

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
If we could get some decent solar panels on our rooftops we’d have plenty to charge our vehicles every night.

Long trips, now that’s a different matter. My brother lives in Ft Myers’s and we talk about what would happen if everyone drove electric vehicles and there was a hurricane evacuation. I-95 and I-75 would ave tons of cars stranded on the side of the road….

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
As stated until you can somehow charge it in the "backcountry" it is useless most times for a western hunting vehicle. Start climbing around steep mountain roads in the mud and tell me what the range is?
I don’t know about the lightning but my tesla can sit without a charge for 10 days and only loose 5%. Yes, I’m a hunter with a tesla. LOL

20 Million barrels of oil consumed in the USA a day. Don't think the current electric grid could would come anywhere close to replacing ENERGY needed to power our country. Let the rolling blackouts start !

z987k

WKR
If only they could figure out how make one run on "unicorn farts". Here in northern Minnesota there is a company that does cold weather testing of vehicles. I've talked to drivers that say the batteries don't handle the cold very well . Most say they wouldn't purchase a current electric vehicle in our climate
Telsa does their cold testing in Delta, Alaska and they do just fine. There's a few percent loss of power sitting outside in that kind of weather overnight not plugged in. The range also goes down a bit, but nowhere near what it used to now that they're using waste heat to heat the cabin.

Telsa does their cold testing in Delta, Alaska and they do just fine. There's a few percent loss of power sitting outside in that kind of weather overnight not plugged in. The range also goes down a bit, but nowhere near what it used to now that they're using waste heat to heat the cabin.
I haven't researched electric cars, but from what I hear tesla technology is above the "big three". Roush is who does cold weather testing by us. I believe they contract out for gm, ford , chrysler and some high dollar European cars

z987k

WKR
I haven't researched electric cars, but from what I hear tesla technology is above the "big three". Roush is who does cold weather testing by us. I believe they contract out for gm, ford , chrysler and some high dollar European cars
Ya Tesla's tech is well beyond the big 3. They actually spend a large portion of their money on R&D and not a single dollar on advertising. They instead rely on a better product. It's a novel business model, but seems to be working.

Everytime I see a Ford commercial all I think is how much more reasonably priced could this truck have been if you hadn't spent $20 million on that ad spot? Not, oh I should go buy a new Ford.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
At this point for most Americans removed from metro isolationists an electric car makes as much sense as plugging in and running with a super long extension cord. I know that's a bit sensationalized but it draws the picture. The charging infrastructure is not in place and more important the current grid could not come close to handling the load. The magic wall or charging station gets its energy, where? Oil and coal of course. Add in the filthy lithium mines and the battery factories along with battery disposal and this is a pretty earth dirty innovation. Let the market decide, the government needs to stay out of it. They won't of course, and the more so the more left it is.

Redwood

Lil-Rokslider
The one our dealership got currently has a range of 120 miles. They don't know what is wrong with it. I havent test drove it but the people who have said its awesome aside from the horrible range.

I read an article today about 3 different EV trucks towing. Same trip on flat highway with same 6100 pound trailer all three of them barely made it 100 miles. I can’t imagine trying to tow anywhere and only making it 100 miles before recharging. Basically all 3 vehicles mileage was cut in half or a little more.

TFL has some good videos of them taking their Lighting to Alaska from Colorado. They made it, but not without help and also charging it with a Hybrid F150. They also have some towing videos which show the limited range.

Legend

WKR
I read an article today about 3 different EV trucks towing. Same trip on flat highway with same 6100 pound trailer all three of them barely made it 100 miles. I can’t imagine trying to tow anywhere and only making it 100 miles before recharging. Basically all 3 vehicles mileage was cut in half or a little more.
It's actually quite simple if you are pulling your camper. When you get to that 90 mile mark you pull over and spend the night while you use your gas generator to charge the batteries....problem solved.

gabenzeke

WKR
It's actually quite simple if you are pulling your camper. When you get to that 90 mile mark you pull over and spend the night while you use your gas generator to charge the batteries....problem solved.
I looked into an electric pick up. This may have changed, but at the time I researched it, you could not charge from a generator. The only thing I was seeing aside from an actual charge station was some people were using some kind of kit to jury rig a way to charge at an RV campsite.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk