Plan to buy 2023 Tacoma

With bed full and towing 2k pounds?
What gas truck is doing this?
If the original post said it had that then you are correct. I’m wrong. But, I’ve also owned taco’s. When I put 2000 lbs in the bed of it, my kids tricycle would out pull it. And, it never got more the 15mpg empty. 5 speed single cab. 2010 model. So, there is no taco on the planet that will pull the specs you quoted at 18 mpg. None. I know better. Unless you were coasting downhill.

I gotta admit, I never put a bed full of anything but straw in mine. I stopped doing that when the bed mounts broke in the bed. And, I never pulled a tone either. My time was too important to try that.

😁

Bluefish

WKR
Like all smaller Toyota trucks, the seating is closer to the floor of the cab than an American full sized truck. This makes the seating different. You sit more with your legs in front of you like a sports car than under you like a truck. It is different, some like it some don’t.

I have done a couple long trips in mine 900 ish miles, no problem for me, but I have owned several Toyota trucks. I am 6’3”, no problem with seat position. Only issue I had was Toyota only makes one floor mat, it’s for the automatic and I have a manual so it would get stuck on my foot. Got a weather tech as they make one for manual and a different one for automatic.

i found the suspension on my 00 to be horrible, too stiff on damping and too soft on springs. So it wallowed with a load and beat you over bumps. Swore off Toyotas for a long time. 20+ years later, when I was looking there were only 2 trucks left with manual transmissions, Toyota and jeep. Toyota was significantly cheaper and I had driven my fil’s which was far better than my 00, so I took a Chance and got a 21, other than having rust on the springs already I have been happy with it.

Coldtrail

WKR
If the original post said it had that then you are correct. I’m wrong. But, I’ve also owned taco’s. When I put 2000 lbs in the bed of it, my kids tricycle would out pull it. And, it never got more the 15mpg empty. 5 speed single cab. 2010 model. So, there is no taco on the planet that will pull the specs you quoted at 18 mpg. None. I know better. Unless you were coasting downhill.
If you can't squeeze 15mpg out of a stock Tacoma of any year or generation then I'd say you have a problem to address. Basically my stock Tacoma and F150 will pull that load at pretty close to the same mileage, but there is no comparison to the empty/lightly loaded highway mileage which the entire reason I got the Tacoma. I actually just got back from a 300mi +/- trip running about 70mph with the Tacoma empty and at 23.1 mpg so I guess I own the odd one that is fuel efficient. It's a tin can & plastic truck with 278hp & 6speed double overdrive so not like it struggling to move itself or maintain a steady speed...RPMs are under 2000 on the flat highway empty so it's really not breaking a sweat. I had a 4 runner with the 4.0 stock that would stay low 20's highway & 17/18ish towing a boat too, so I'm guessing it's not too rare despite your experience.

I've owned a Toyota pickup in some form since '94. I drive 2012 now with 200k miles. I'm looking to get a new one in 8-10 months. Depending on how the redesign looks, I may up my timeframe. My company has a fleet of Chevy and GMC 1500's one just went in for the transmission being out. It's a '21 with 15k miles. The dealer said he orders the parts in bulk because they have had so any problems with them. I have never gotten a warm feeling from any of the domestic makers mid size trucks. Maybe that new Tacoma design will offer a turbo diesel!:ROFLMAO:

Hey All,

As the title says I’m planning to buy a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road double cab with 6’ bed.

I’ve never bought a new car and have only ever owned old trucks (currently drive ‘05 f 150 that continues to have issues). Can’t wait to get rid of it. My wife and i decided with the price of used cars to just buy a new Tacoma. I can get one for slightly below MSRP at $41,000 before tax. Thought about tundras but I don’t tow much and they are considerably more expensive.

I am looking to buy a reliable truck without a lot of frills for hunting and fishing. When I tow it’s a 12ft jon boat. I live in Seattle, hunt locally often and occasionally do longer road trips to ND.

I’m having some last minute “buyers” remorse. I’ve not pulled the trigger yet.

Are people have have recently bought Tacomas happy with their purchase and recommend a newer Tacoma?
I will only add one suggestion and that’s buy an sr5 and do the suspension upgrades and whatever else yourself. I don’t think the trd package is worth the price difference

Wait till the 24
I will bet the 23s will get cheaper,a lot of guys will want the new model.Everyone says wait awhile on the new versions but they start selling immediately.
I have drove a 4runner for 8 years and never pulled the trigger on a taco because I wanted more power.Ill bet the 24 will have better power and way more options from what im hearing.
I would buy a new one possibly and still may buy an older one if the prices come down.
Long bed as well!

Just speaking to car prices ... dealers are actually overstocked but because pandemic made used car prices go up, they are not discounting new cars at all. They can't keep the supply forever though so we should see prices drop in the next 12 months. Just suffer a little longer and the deals will roll in

KenLee

WKR
I wasn't the one that posted the mpg scenario. Just read it. When I saw your post, I wanted that full sized gas truck 😀

Think its different now because new car purchases were really high in the past 2 years. now since people going bankrupt over gas prices, food prices and do not have any stimulus checks to use, car buying has stalled

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I will only add one suggestion and that’s buy an sr5 and do the suspension upgrades and whatever else yourself. I don’t think the trd package is worth the price difference
The TRD Pro certainly is not worth the price. The TRD Off Road depends. If someone does not want to add lockers, skid plates, Etc the OR is a nice option with factory skids, rear elocker, and the electronic break booster that can simulate a front locker. Those easily add more than 2k in value.

4x4 double cab, 6ft bed, SR5 is $38,205

TRD OR double cab 6ft bed is $40,015

Coldtrail

WKR
I wasn't the one that posted the mpg scenario. Just read it. When I saw your post, I wanted that full sized gas truck 😀
2014 Ford 3.5L, bone stock super cab, low profile trailer 1844# not enclosed square type, fiberglass topper, gear, cooler etc. Tow switch let's it still use all 6 gears highway.

Not much of an off road rig for my needs, ripped all the factory cardboard like "shields" off the undercarriage before I put 90mi on it just by running a soft gravel Rd.....if they still made the configuration I'd buy another, but 2.7L turbo with 10sp trans only seems like a good rig for the highway & quite honestly......grossly overpriced

tony

WKR
If you can't squeeze 15mpg out of a stock Tacoma of any year or generation then I'd say you have a problem to address. Basically my stock Tacoma and F150 will pull that load at pretty close to the same mileage, but there is no comparison to the empty/lightly loaded highway mileage which the entire reason I got the Tacoma. I actually just got back from a 300mi +/- trip running about 70mph with the Tacoma empty and at 23.1 mpg so I guess I own the odd one that is fuel efficient. It's a tin can & plastic truck with 278hp & 6speed double overdrive so not like it struggling to move itself or maintain a steady speed...RPMs are under 2000 on the flat highway empty so it's really not breaking a sweat. I had a 4 runner with the 4.0 stock that would stay low 20's highway & 17/18ish towing a boat too, so I'm guessing it's not too rare despite your experience.
I have to respectfully disagree on the MPG debate.
I had a 2009 extended cab, TRD package, with the one of the best motors made ever. The 4.0 with a 6 speed manual transmission, truck was stock with a bed cover, I changed all fluids to synthetic.
I never broke 20 miles per gallon with a mix of small town start and stop traffic and highway driving.
I have used fuelly forever, and keep all my trucks on it. If i can figure how to import all the graphs I will. It is interesting, My best rig is this ranger, my worst was a 1999 f150, then the Tacoma, and 2nd place was a 2013 f150 4 door xlt 5.0

If I had to have a midsize double cab with the 6 foot bed, I would look at Nissan today.

If I could wait a year or so, I’d cross my fingers that Ford will add that option soon.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t miss my 18 pro taco at all. Had it on 33s and kd max tune and it was still underpowered. My 2.7 ecoboost crushed it in about every aspect. I average 26-27mpg in the f150 driving back and forth to work at 55-60mph. Taco never saw better the 20-21.

My second gen 13 taco wirh the 4.0 never broke 20 mpg with a leveling kit and 32s. Still have a 18 t4r that the wife drives, but I won’t buy another tacoma. They are overhyped imo.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never known any of the Toyota trucks to break 20mpg except for the 4-cyl models. My 6-cyl got 24mpg one time in BC, but that was driving max speed of 55mph up there. They've never been designed for high mpg's. That's not their niche. Just like I don't expect to ever see 20mpg with the 5.7L Tundra........definitely not its niche, that's for sure.

Bluefish

WKR
I consistently get 20-21 in my 21’ 6 speed. I am sure big tires or a lift would quickly get that below 20. Full sized fords do better than that. I personally dont want a small turbo engine for a truck.

def90

WKR
I bought my Jeep Wrangler new back in 2002, it now has over 300k miles on it and feels like it could go another 100k without any major work. Paid off in 2007, car payment free for the last 16 years.

On the other hand every other vehicle I have ever owned including my current work truck was used and became a money hole after a year or two. My Dodge Dakota that I use for business / work has been paid for twice in repairs.

Buy new, pay it off, take care of it, and it will last forever.