Plan to buy 2023 Tacoma

Coldtrail

WKR
I have to respectfully disagree on the MPG debate.
I had a 2009 extended cab, TRD package, with the one of the best motors made ever. The 4.0 with a 6 speed manual transmission, truck was stock with a bed cover, I changed all fluids to synthetic.
I never broke 20 miles per gallon with a mix of small town start and stop traffic and highway driving.
I have used fuelly forever, and keep all my trucks on it. If i can figure how to import all the graphs I will. It is interesting, My best rig is this ranger, my worst was a 1999 f150, then the Tacoma, and 2nd place was a 2013 f150 4 door xlt 5.0
A couple things, your '09 & my '19 are two different powertrains, and I'm referring only to my highway miles not combined, as close as I get to hwy/city combined I'm at about 21 or so mpg but admittedly I am on rural 2 lanes 99.9% of the time, I really have no city miles to throw my #'s down.

Seems like my MPG comments stirred things up, and sort of a dead horse since there are so many variables with driving styles, terrain, tires/wheels, bolt on accessories, cargo, maintenance, quality of fuel etc etc.. Bottom line is every truck I've ever owned is just a piece of gear to me like a gun case or a backpack and just hauling my $hit from A to B, if I can find something that does the job at less cost I'm all in.

tater

WKR
Second and third Gen Tacomas:
Underpowered-Check
Uninspired interior-Check
Gas mileage that is fictional/delusional-Check
A ride that is somewhere between a 1949 Ford 8N and an AMC Pacer-Check
Retain value well-Check
High odds it will get you home no matter what poor choice you make and still keep running-Check
Will not drown you in ongoing repair bills if you do basic maintenance-Check

If you plan to keep it for double the time you are making payments, its worth a look.

Still driving an '08 with 350K KM (230K miles), and as much as it pains me to say it would by a third gen. I look with envy at the drivers of a '23 Colorado Trail Boss and the '22 AT4 Sierras, but its hard to move away from the brand after its treated me so well.

Ehunter

FNG
I have a 2021 tacoma had a 16. The new tacomas finally have adjustable seats. Look they are not a luxury car. The are rugged and work. Plus the resale value is great. We sold a 2012 with 90k and got what we paid for it new. If you want a reliable truck that plain works go tacoma if you want luxury go with another truck.

Sapcut

WKR
Wow at even $41k for a new Tacoma I just can’t help but think….for that price I could get three used Land Cruisers or LXs that are still more dependable, still much more comfortable to sit in, still can see much better out of at any angle, still rides smoother and probably will hold as much in rear.

Mpmoody15

FNG
I regretfully sold a 2004 and purchased a 2018 Off-road double cab brand new. The 2018 took me everywhere: Utah twice, Kaibab twice, and all over AZ. It also had two big issues. First was a fuel injector failure at ~8k miles (replaced under warranty) that left me without a vehicle for a week. At ~60k, the 4x4 actuator failed the evening before an elk hunt. That was not covered under warranty and the final straw for me. I sold the 2018 with 65k miles for $5k less than what I paid after five years. The replacement was a 2014 Land Cruiser. No regrets.

andyaz

FNG
prices are what they are, inflation happened and is happening and will likely continue to happen. no sense worrying about what could have been 5 years ago.

if you have only had old trucks before, a new one will be a real luxury. you know exactly how it has been treated, maintained. if you keep it 10-20 years, amortized over all those years it's not that big of an expense.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

As the title says I’m planning to buy a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road double cab with 6’ bed.

I’ve never bought a new car and have only ever owned old trucks (currently drive ‘05 f 150 that continues to have issues). Can’t wait to get rid of it. My wife and i decided with the price of used cars to just buy a new Tacoma. I can get one for slightly below MSRP at $41,000 before tax. Thought about tundras but I don’t tow much and they are considerably more expensive.

I am looking to buy a reliable truck without a lot of frills for hunting and fishing. When I tow it’s a 12ft jon boat. I live in Seattle, hunt locally often and occasionally do longer road trips to ND.

I’m having some last minute “buyers” remorse. I’ve not pulled the trigger yet.

Are people have have recently bought Tacomas happy with their purchase and
I went from a Tacoma to an F150. Two years ago went back to a Tacoma double cab with the 6’ bed just like you are considering. I like it overall. Going into it, I knew I didn’t like the shifting characteristics and purchased the OVTune. Smoothed it right out! Besides that some random thoughts from the perspective of F150 to Taco:

Pros: Overall it’s a simpler truck. A little easier to drive around. I think the 6’ bed size is perfect for me. Can fit a full sized bike corner to corner. My full sized quad (grizzly) fits perfectly and can close the tailgate enough to stop stuff from sliding out. Happy with the 4WD capabilities. It’s a little easier to park and drive around town (narrower). Easier to wash.

Cons: Not as much HP as the F150 ecoboost…and the gas mileage isn’t that great. transmission characteristics (see ovtune comment). Turning radius for the double cab with long bed is marginally better. I miss the interior room sometimes.
recommend a newer Tacoma?
IMG_0787.jpeg
IMG_7854.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

OP
Badger 5

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
Update: ended up going with a 2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x.

I test drove a few trucks and really think the frontier is tough to beat for the price. I was far more comfortable in the Frontier compared to the Tacoma (6’ 1” 190). The seating is far more comfortable and interior feels bigger. The engine and transmission are definitely more enjoyable to drive than a Tacoma.

I really appreciate the help from everybody! I’m sure I also would have been very satisfied with the Tacoma. I saved ~$3,000 compared to a Tacoma with similar features.

Wow at even $41k for a new Tacoma I just can’t help but think….for that price I could get three used Land Cruisers or LXs that are still more dependable, still much more comfortable to sit in, still can see much better out of at any angle, still rides smoother and probably will hold as much in rear.
If only. I totalled my GX and trying to find a gx/lx/lc is absolutely terrible right now. Guys think their gx is worth 30k because it has a cheap lift kit.

tony

WKR
Been reading up on the 2024 Tacomas.
Man, I'm really wanting a 6 speed TRD off road

I'll let the craziness die down and the bugs get worked out for sure.

7mm-08

WKR
I regretfully sold a 2004 and purchased a 2018 Off-road double cab brand new. The 2018 took me everywhere: Utah twice, Kaibab twice, and all over AZ. It also had two big issues. First was a fuel injector failure at ~8k miles (replaced under warranty) that left me without a vehicle for a week. At ~60k, the 4x4 actuator failed the evening before an elk hunt. That was not covered under warranty and the final straw for me. I sold the 2018 with 65k miles for $5k less than what I paid after five years. The replacement was a 2014 Land Cruiser. No regrets.
Sorry, but it ain't playing fair to mention a Land Cruiser in the discussion about any other vehicle IN THE WORLD. They are truly in a class of their own and, yes, I'm jealous as hell.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I mainly drive Toyota and have had two Tundras, a Tacoma, and 2 4 Runners withing the last 15 years. I have gotten 300k miles out of each of them with out any major repairs. I love the Tundras but am yet to get over 12mpg. I just paid off my wife's 4Runner with just under 100k miles and she is wanting a new one. I will turn hers into a hunting wagon. With that being said I will not have another Tacoma. I thought it was very uncomfortable with too shallow of a floor pan. I also hated getting in and out of it. If you have been in one for a while and it is good for you I would wait for a 2024 model. They are going to add a lot of after market add ons as factory options on the Tacoma.

striped1

FNG
I mainly drive Toyota and have had two Tundras, a Tacoma, and 2 4 Runners withing the last 15 years. I have gotten 300k miles out of each of them with out any major repairs. I love the Tundras but am yet to get over 12mpg. I just paid off my wife's 4Runner with just under 100k miles and she is wanting a new one. I will turn hers into a hunting wagon. With that being said I will not have another Tacoma. I thought it was very uncomfortable with too shallow of a floor pan. I also hated getting in and out of it. If you have been in one for a while and it is good for you I would wait for a 2024 model. They are going to add a lot of after market add ons as factory options on the Tacoma.
They seem to be awfully proud of putting a removable bluetooth speaker on the dash. That they consider this remotely good is mind-boggling.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
They seem to be awfully proud of putting a removable bluetooth speaker on the dash. That they consider this remotely good is mind-boggling.
It's probably handy till you forget or loose it. With my wife it would be missing by day two.

did they make a 24 version thats just 4x4 dc lb without the fancy screen and stuff ? If they upgraded the shifting and engine to get better mpg with more power i maybe would try a 25 but basic trim. I dont think turbos are the boogeyman like most.. the seat angle was uncomfortable though for me i wish they changed it.