Plan to buy 2023 Tacoma

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

As the title says I’m planning to buy a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road double cab with 6’ bed.

I’ve never bought a new car and have only ever owned old trucks (currently drive ‘05 f 150 that continues to have issues). Can’t wait to get rid of it. My wife and i decided with the price of used cars to just buy a new Tacoma. I can get one for slightly below MSRP at $41,000 before tax. Thought about tundras but I don’t tow much and they are considerably more expensive.

I am looking to buy a reliable truck without a lot of frills for hunting and fishing. When I tow it’s a 12ft jon boat. I live in Seattle, hunt locally often and occasionally do longer road trips to ND.

I’m having some last minute “buyers” remorse. I’ve not pulled the trigger yet.

Are people have have recently bought Tacomas happy with their purchase and recommend a newer Tacoma?

TN2shot07

WKR
Reliability questions aside, have you spent some time in one? I had my heart set on one about 6-7 months ago when I was truck shopping. I test drove 2 (a trd off road and a premium) and they were both miserable for me, I never could get seated in a comfortable position. They were pretty weak and bounced all over the road (smaller vehicles in general).

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
As you would expect you are going to get a variety of opinions. I bought a new one a couple of years ago because I wanted a smaller pickup for offroad use and I liked the manual transmission option. I ended up not liking it all. There is just not much power/torque at lower RPM's and the truck felt very underpowered. It was really surprisingly underpowered once I drove it for a while and genuinely got a feel for it. On top of that they are not particularly comfortable. I cut my losses and sold it for not much of a loss and was glad to be rid of it.

Last edited:
OP
Badger 5

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies! It’s funny, I test drove one, thought it was comfortable and liked how the car drove. Definitely not as comfortable as my F 150. The underpowered piece doesn’t bother me much. The thing I care most about is reliability.

Nevvon

FNG
I bought a 2022 tacoma last year. I was driving a gmc 1500 and the smaller size was not that bad for me- I am 6 foot and 205- i grabbed a trd sport and it sits as high as my gmc did. I looked at used prices and for me locally a 8-10 year old tqcoma was within 5k of new. They hold value. For me it was a good value. I agree that test driving one is a great idea to make sure you really like it.

Super tag

WKR
Check out the new Colorado, they’ve got the 2.7 liter turbocharged motor, and the trail boss is pretty watered down but has basically what you need for tech and options, about the same price. No way to know about the reliability at this point.
I have a Tacoma, I drive it to keep the miles off my diesel, it’s my daily driver unless I am towing. Its not too uncomfortable for me once I got used to it. This is my second Tacoma and they’re basically bullet proof, which is why I bought it over other options. Has enough power to do what you want to do.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
The 2024 Tacoma is being unveiled this month. I’d wait or buy something else. This generation has not been as well received and desirable as previous gens.

Loo.wii

WKR
Tacos Are great. I get mine in the woods quite often and with a stock taco and slighly bigger tires I can get down some level 4 trails. Larger trucks would have problems fitting down these trails.

get a taco man

Bluefish

WKR
Have a 21, 6 speed. Have about 20k on it now. Been happy with it. Ride can be a bit rough on choppy pavement. Not sure why everyone says they are low on power, after owning a 89 22re and a 00 taco, this one is fine for power.
down side is I am getting a lot of rust already. Recently moved back to the Midwest and forgot how much everything rusts compared to Colorado.

Titan_Bow

WKR
You could get a new loaded Nissan Frontier Pro4X for that price range I believe. They have quite a bit more power than the Tacomas. The redesign of the Frontier looks really nice. I was always a Nissan fan, put a ton of miles on a Titan and an Xterra. When I was shopping a couple years ago, I went with a new 4Runner because my local Nissan dealership is shitty, lol (and I got a great deal on the 4Runner) Anyways, this was before the new Frontier came out. If had been out, I likely would have went that route. I really like the idea of a Frontier with a pop up camper like those GFC campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a couple brand new tacomas since 2016

They have worked fine for me

First one I put almost 50k miles on in three years and sold it for $4500 less than I paid. I did do a 2 inch lift.

Bought a 2020 TRD sport that is loaded. It has 30k miles, and I could sell it wholesale at auction for $3k less that I paid( I’m in the car business).

If you want a rig that size, tacomas are pretty tuff to beat overall in my opinion

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Crazy to think that in 2007, when I bought my first brand new vehicle (Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab), I told the sales guy that I needed to take a 10 min walk around the block before I signed for it. I was going to ink my name to $24,300.00 after tax title and license. The prices today are just absolutely asinine.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new business truck and it’s going to cost me just under $80,000.00 for a basic Ram 5500 pickup. Makes no sense.

2019 crew cab 4WD SR5, 6 foot bed. I only have about 70,000 miles on it. it has plenty of power for what I need to do with it. I’ve towed this trailer maybe 5 to 7000 miles, don’t even notice it’s back there. Trailer is about 1300 pounds. It’s my work truck and I treat it like a wheelbarrow other than doing the required maintenance. I’m pretty happy with it. I get about 20–22 mpg. Towing the trailer at 75 I get about 18. I have a heavy foot. 603B4ED0-93BF-4452-B781-EC61003B841F.jpeg

If you wait 4 days the 2024 model is being revealed on the 19th. But depending on the engine configuration it may just drive prices up on the older model. Sounds like it’s pretty much a total redesign.

If you wait 4 days the 2024 model is being revealed on the 19th. But depending on the engine configuration it may just drive prices up on the older model. Sounds like it’s pretty much a total redesign.
I am sure it will be a twin turbo 4 cyl. I sold a Ram a couple weeks ago with the intent of replacing it with a new tundra or tacoma. And then I started reading reviews of the redesigned tundra and they are awful. Car and driver just had long term review that noted over heating transmissions and very poor fuel economy.

I ended up finding a 2020 Tundra with 10k miles on it. I am 6’5” and the tacoma was just not as comfortable as the Tundra.

Coldtrail

WKR
I have a 2019 TRD off road I picked up used with very low miles from a guy that didn't like it. I downsized from an f150 because 90% of the time I'm only hauling hunting gear and dogs and didn't "need" a full size so opted for better fuel economy and reliability, so far happy with both. I do notice on the highway rolling 70mph + that it's a smaller/lighter truck but doesn't bother me since I'm mostly on gravel all year. I've run with the bed loaded down and towing 2000lbs and didn't find it nearly as dramatic as some would say......I got 17/18mpg most of the trip but don't oversize the tires or bolt a bunch of stuff to it.

That being said, you'll find a lot of Toyota haters but personally I'd rather buy a Toyota Tacoma with a lower tech power train than the newer full size offerings that require much more tech, turbos etc to keep them adequate. Anyone I know that has a tundra loves everything about it but the gas mileage. Ford, Chevy, dodge? My experience has been average with all, if they were $30,000 I'd buy one but at today's prices they are overpriced for getting a car with a box on the back, at least the Tacoma has some ground clearance and metal skid plates etc, plus resale on the Tacoma is way better than the big 3....I've had my Tacoma for about a year & could sell it for what I paid for it or more by the end of the day.