Wyoming residents want first chance at leftover big game tags

They’re leftover for a reason, nobody wanted to draw them, Residents nor Non-Residents. First come first serve, you snooze you lose.

Unit 16 antelope which is 1 pay some attention too. Any resident could have drawn 1 of these tags had they applied. As I said above this is a social problem.

550 any antelope tags.
179 to R
371 to nr
67.5% issued to nr.

Rinse repeat in any of the less desirable units throughout the state.
Yep... too many hold their nose at units then the rest blame it all on NR hunters.

Reactions: OMB

BuzzH

WKR
They’re leftover for a reason, nobody wanted to draw them, Residents nor Non-Residents. First come first serve, you snooze you lose.
Problem is lots of tags reserved for residents in the initial draw are dropping to the nr initial draw that some residents think shouldn't be happening.

Some residents want first crack at the tags not taken by residents in the initial draw.

They have a point.

LostArra

WKR
Unit 16 antelope which is 1 pay some attention too. Any resident could have drawn 1 of these tags had they applied. As I said above this is a social problem.

550 any antelope tags.
179 to R
371 to nr
67.5% issued to nr.

Rinse repeat in any of the less desirable units throughout the state.
320 resident tags available and after 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices they only issued 179.
The remaining 141 go to the non-resident draw and none made it to the leftover draw.
So the residents want a 4th option for the tag at $37 each which may or may not sell out ($5217, if sold out) while the department is selling them all to the non-residents for $326 each ($45,966). Hmmm

This is only one hunt area and this doesn't seem to be terribly unfair to residents. The allocation isn't 67.5% for non-residents. They are just buying what the residents didn't want after 3 choices.

I need to study the elk side of this. I don't even hunt pronghorn.

wapitibob

WKR
Does anyone know (wapitibob????) where to find the data of resident/non-resident split on leftover tags?
The comment about 75% pronghorn buck tags going to non-res seems bizarre.
The info requires a public info request. I think I have it but I’m on the coast fishing till tomorrow night. I’ll look when I get a chance.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
320 resident tags available and after 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices they only issued 179.
The remaining 141 go to the non-resident draw and none made it to the leftover draw.
So the residents want a 4th option for the tag at $37 each which may or may not sell out ($5217, if sold out) while the department is selling them all to the non-residents for $326 each ($45,966). Hmmm

This is only one hunt area and this doesn't seem to be terribly unfair to residents. The allocation isn't 67.5% for non-residents. They are just buying what the residents didn't want after 3 choices.

I need to study the elk side of this. I don't even hunt pronghorn.
They want first crack at the leftovers from their 80% of the tags they're guaranteed that are not issued in the initial draw.

If there is change made to hold another resident only draw on the 80%, I still think there will be a lot of tags that go to the leftover list available to NR's.

I do agree that Residents need to apply for all 3 choices, but with the huge tag reductions in pronghorn in particular, its getting tough to "apply smartly" and be assured a tag even with 3 choices where there were available tags in the second and third choice units in the past.

That is what is causing this latest push to hold a Resident only second draw on the 80% Resident allocations.

I think its worth a close look from the Department and Task Force and if Residents want this, they need to speak up.

Problem is lots of tags reserved for residents in the initial draw are dropping to the nr initial draw that some residents think shouldn't be happening.

So residents don't want certain tags and don't apply to draw them but then get mad because NR applicants put in to draw the tags that residents don't want.
Some residents want first crack at the tags not taken by residents in the initial draw.

They have a point.
hence my point, nobody wanted to draw them. Instead of blaming NR hunters, maybe residents should educate themselves on their own states draw strategies. You claim to have issues of getting too many tags. Maybe you and the organization you represent could put on some classes or brochures in helping your own residents draw tags instead of holding their nose at anything that isn't the most desirable unit? What do you expect the state to do when its own residents don't want certain tags?

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR

So residents don't want certain tags and don't apply to draw them but then get mad because NR applicants put in to draw the tags that residents don't want.

hence my point, nobody wanted to draw them. Instead of blaming NR hunters, maybe residents should educateI themselves on their own states draw strategies. You claim to have issues of getting too many tags. Maybe you and the organization you represent could put on some classes or brochures in helping your own residents draw tags instead of holding their nose at anything that isn't the most desirable unit? What do you expect the state to do when its own residents don't want certain tags?
I think Buzz's point is that with the big reduction in pronghorn tags the residents' old strategy, or non-strategy, doesn't work anymore. He admitted they needed to apply smarter. I wondered if the unsuccessful applicants are getting shut out completely or just missing out on a second or third tag.

I'm surprised Mr Schaul didn't refer to the antelope tags as "coveted" in his petition since they are becoming fewer in number while elk tags, at least cow tags could be increasing in some areas to reduce pressure on a struggling mule deer population.

BuzzH

WKR
I think Buzz's point is that with the big reduction in pronghorn tags the residents' old strategy, or non-strategy, doesn't work anymore. He admitted they needed to apply smarter. I wondered if the unsuccessful applicants are getting shut out completely or just missing out on a second or third tag.

I'm surprised Mr Schaul didn't refer to the antelope tags as "coveted" in his petition since they are becoming fewer in number while elk tags, at least cow tags could be increasing in some areas to reduce pressure on a struggling mule deer population.
Correct and even "applying smarter" is not working anymore due to tag reductions and more resident applicants.

The area I purchased a pronghorn tag as a nr, the day before the season, the first fall I lived in Wyoming now takes 3 points to draw.

It's doubtful this year that a resident will be able to draw it as a second choice...may not even get it first.

That's why some residents want to keep the 80% of the resident side separate through 2 drawings for residents only. After that, let anyone draw/purchase them.

tdhanses

WKR

Yeah that makes sense for pronghorn, but with the cuts in tags I’d think everyone would have to rethink their strategy until the herd recovers, if more residents put in for the units NR traditionally received more then 20% of the tags then NR would only receive 20%.

Seems these are just fall back tags for residents if they don’t draw a premium unit but with that strategy there is a chance they don’t draw a tag?

tdhanses

WKR
Correct and even "applying smarter" is not working anymore due to tag reductions and more resident applicants.

The area I purchased a pronghorn tag as a nr, the day before the season, the first fall I lived in Wyoming now takes 3 points to draw.

It's doubtful this year that a resident will be able to draw it as a second choice...may not even get it first.

That's why some residents want to keep the 80% of the resident side separate through 2 drawings for residents only. After that, let anyone draw/purchase them.
But in that unit only 20% of tags would be going to NR due to the demand right, it wouldn’t be a leftover unit?

BuzzH

WKR
But in that unit only 20% of tags would be going to NR due to the demand right, it wouldn’t be a leftover unit?
The problem trying to be addressed is any leftover resident tags in the initial draw dropping to the initial NR draw. Some of those are tags that Residents would apply for in a second Resident only draw.

It also depends on the demand and unit. Point is many traditional units that Residents apply for as second and third choices are not the same units with tags available in either draw.

A unit I picked up as a second choice several times a decade ago, its now less than 50% odds for a first choice.

All this would do is give residents, even those applying smartly, a second opportunity to get tags from the 80% they are already supposed to be getting anyway. Things are always in flux in regard to tag numbers, interest in a particular unit, etc. Which is to say, even looking at past draw history and applying smartly, doesn't necessarily equal success in the draw.

Its not like I'm the one deciding this, its something Residents are presenting to the GF and task force as well as this petition is trying to address. Many Residents think its worth consideration.