To Non Residents Considering Wyoming Moose Preference Points

I get your frustration but that isn't accurate at all. A person can draw elk permits in a reasonable time frame. Now if you are taking the premium units, I agree. However at least a person can draw a cow tag in a great area or lesser bull tags in just a few years.

Are there lq areas that take less points than a general area?

General was 5 or 6 last time for 100% draw. 5 to 6 years from now it will be much higher.

Beginners and folks who've spent there points are never drawing again outside of the ramdom.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Are there lq areas that take less points than a general area?

General was 5 or 6 last time for 100% draw. 5 to 6 years from now it will be much higher.

Beginners and folks who've spent there points are never drawing again outside of the ramdom.
Yes, there are.

I agree with your view on general tags but even 10-15 years for a general tag beats never like moose.

Time will tell I guess but it isn't quite that bleak yet by the math.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
I did see a nice bull from area 38 at the taxidermist this weekend. The "lucky" guy drew finally after applying for over 20 years.

So to be clear, if you quit buying points, should you still apply for the random?? This is for sheep as well?

To any non residents who are considering starting to buy Wyoming Moose Preference Points-
2353 non residents bought their first moose preference point in Wyoming last year bringing the total number of people waiting for a moose permit up to 11,964. Since Wyoming is now only giving out around 30 bull permits yearly, a new person entering is projected to wait 398 years before drawing. Unless a person plans to try to outlive those in front of them, there is zero reason to buy moose preference points. Even the few cow tags available will take several decades to draw.

To those non residents who are already invested-
*If you have less than 10 points, your chances of drawing before you die are slim to none. Your best chance is to outlive and outlast the thousands of people ahead of you to some day be able to use your walker to steady your rifle for the shot at 90 years old.
*If you have 15 points, you are currently looking at just shy of 3,000 people in front of you. It will take about 94 years before you reach the top. Your chances of drawing a bull permit before you die are also slim but if you are young enough, it may be worth waiting for the chance.
*If you have 20 points currently, you only have 848 people ahead of you! Only 28 more years to go before you reach the top...

Seriously people, why are we still giving the WG&F our money for this? Is it the hope that they will go random some day with weighted points? If they do that a person would have less than a 1 in 400 chance the first year and it would go downhill from there. There is no scenario where it makes sense to buy points unless you want to donate to the WG&F. Even then, I would argue there are much better places to donate your money.
As an NR, I enjoy hunting Wyo antelope, deer, and elk. For moose I wouldn't waste time and $. I would just go guided to Alaska or the Yukon. That's my 2025 plan. It'll be a once in a lifetime trip for me. If one wants a moose that badly start saving your extra cash.

Life is short hunt more.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
As an NR, I enjoy hunting Wyo antelope, deer, and elk. For moose I wouldn't waste time and $. I would just go guided to Alaska or the Yukon. That's my 2025 plan. It'll be a once in a lifetime trip for me. If one wants a moose that badly start saving your extra cash.

Life is short hunt more.
Agree completely

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
2,268 people bought their first moose point this past fall. The number of people holding 2 points is a little over half so I think people are figuring it out a little quicker than they were a few years ago and dropping out. The hundreds of people holding on in the middle point ranges are either crazy or really young with money to burn.
1707753880979.png

Last edited:
it's on the dept web site, under the hunting tab, preference points
Man, I swear I clicked on every link on there before asking! They tricked me, I presumed that was a link to check my PP. got it

edit: not to sidetrack, but ~100k people w/ 3 or less PP for elk/goat/deer is insanity!

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
They should have a disclaimer on the site saying that your purchase is just a donation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Man, I swear I clicked on every link on there before asking! They tricked me, I presumed that was a link to check my PP. got it

edit: not to sidetrack, but ~100k people w/ 3 or less PP for elk/goat/deer is insanity!
There is no shortage of people interested in applying out west, that is for sure.

In 2018 I saw the writing on the wall and switched from applying in the bighorns to western wy. I don’t regret it one bit and I suggest everyone consider how and where they spend their money. I justify applying for limited licenses as my contribution fund’s conservation, but I like to think I have a chance of drawing…..

I'm around 10 points. I finally realized ?3? years ago that I would never draw and didn't purchase that year. I received an email questionnaire from WYGF discussing the possibility of the bonus point change. I decided to get back in last year before they cleared my points for 2 years inactivity. This thread has me rethinking my choice. I'll probably get out of the Wyo moose points for good. I suppose I'll still be sending my $150 to Wyoming, it will just be to Weatherby for a single box of ammo instead.:LOL: Man, everything is expensive.