Wyoming G&F, how de we get a voice as NR's?

tdhanses

WKR
Wyoming has an elk herd of 113,000 and roughly 13,000 NR licenses (7,250 GEN + LE). That’s more than 10% of the entire Wy elk population not including NR cow tags. Seems reasonable to me. Other states that have a larger elk population have more available tags. Pretty simple economics.
Yet 60k otc resident hunters that’s over 50%, maybe resident otc needs to really be reviewed by the state based on your logic if they care about management over $$ and keeping residents happy. Do you think NR are 100% successful and residents are only 10% successful, comes close to the same numbers. Plus residents are allowed up to 3 elk tags.

tdhanses

WKR

An applicant shall apply for or receive no more than a total of three (3) elk licenses in any one (1) calendar year.

An applicant may apply for and receive one (1) general or limited quota full price elk license and one (1) limited quota reduced price cow/calf elk license through the initial license drawing.

After the initial drawing, a person may apply for and receive up to a total of three (3) elk licenses, of which no more than one (1) shall be a General, Type 0, 1, 2, 3 or 9 license. However, no person shall apply for and receive more than a total of three (3) elk licenses which shall include not more than one (1) General, Type 0, 1, 2, 3 or 9 license in a single hunting season.

Yeah poor residents, they can’t kill 4 elk a year.

Last edited:

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider

An applicant shall apply for or receive no more than a total of three (3) elk licenses in any one (1) calendar year.

An applicant may apply for and receive one (1) general or limited quota full price elk license and one (1) limited quota reduced price cow/calf elk license through the initial license drawing.

After the initial drawing, a person may apply for and receive up to a total of three (3) elk licenses, of which no more than one (1) shall be a General, Type 0, 1, 2, 3 or 9 license. However, no person shall apply for and receive more than a total of three (3) elk licenses which shall include not more than one (1) General, Type 0, 1, 2, 3 or 9 license in a single hunting season.

Yeah poor residents, they can’t kill 4 elk a year.
Yes but a NR could also. Draw a Gen or Type 1, draw a reduced price cow/calf, buy leftover Type 4.

tdhanses

WKR
I guess if you exclude everything but a straight WY resident license fee of $57 and divide that into 2.818 million that’s just over 49k resident elk license, I mean no one pays the $10 pioneer or pioneer landowner tag fee.

tdhanses

WKR
Yes but a NR could also. Draw a Gen or Type 1, draw a reduced price cow/calf, buy leftover Type 4.
Yeah but your argument was the 7,250 NR tags is 10% of the herd population yet you excluded the 50k+ resident tags annually vs the populations. Many more residents get multiple tags vs NR, have you looked at how much NR tags cost vs R? Doubt many NR get more then 1 tag at those prices. NR are limited and very few are going after the leftover or reduced cow tags till recently.

It’s pretty cheap as a resident to get 3 elk tags which if all residents would be succesful would wipe out the elk in the state.

Last edited:

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if you exclude everything but a straight WY resident license fee of $57 amd divide that into 2.818 million that’s just over 49k resident elk license, I mean no one pays the $10 pioneer or pioneer landowner tag fee.
Not following. I was just saying that the 3 elk tags is not just for residents.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but your argument was the 7,250 NR tags is 10% of the herd population yet you excluded the 50k+ resident tags annually vs the populations. Many more residents get multiple tags vs NR, have you looked at how much NR tags cost vs R? Doubt many NR get more then 1 tag at those prices. NR are limited and very few are going after the leftover or reduced cow tags till recently.

It’s pretty cheap as a resident to get 3 elk tags which if all residents would be succesful would wipe out the elk in the state.
Not much different than other elk States if every Resident was successful. How many doe/fawn tags does your state allow residents?

I think you may be mistaken about one perspective. Wyoming folks don't care or expect anything from outsiders. They completely fine being left alone
Lol you have jokes.
We are so independent. Just leave us alone. But make sure you guys keep funding our entire state for us.
Wyoming as a state is a tick.

Now the true opinions are starting to flow from the subconscious.

Since you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Oh I’ll be moving there in a few. It’ll be interesting going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Wyoming residents are perfectly fine saying ‘no those are ours. It’s a privilege for you to come here’ all at the same time having their hand out.

It might take me a year or two, to get that mentality. Wyoming residents are good at it though so eventually I’ll be able to learn it also.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Oh I’ll be moving there in a few. It’ll be interesting going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Wyoming residents are perfectly fine saying ‘no those are ours. It’s a privilege for you to come here’ all at the same time having their hand out.

It might take me a year or two, to get that mentality. Wyoming residents are good at it though so eventually I’ll be able to learn it also.
Such vitriol....over a privilege.

Marshfly

WKR
The entire my state pays for yours attitude is dumb. The United States collected $15k per citizen in 2022. If your family didn't contribute $15k or more in federal taxes PER PERSON, YOU are the welfare family.

See how dumb that it?

Such vitriol....over a privilege.
Wyoming residents have soured me on western big game hunting. They have an amazing play ground in their backyard that they don't pay for. Not once have I seen a post from them saying something along the lines of 'we recognize we are blessed because of the other states that allow us to have this playground. Other states residents that pay for it.'

Heck every time these threads start G&F funding comes up. And Wyoming always says no, we only get X percent from non res. Even though PR funds are a big part of it and we know Wyoming residents barely contribute to PR compared to other states residents. Why can't Wyoming res just say it how it is? "We are blessed that everyone else funds our playground and our playground equipment" But oh no. It's the non res that are entitled.

I remember a saying growing up. If you can't beat them then join them. Seems like the easiest option is to join the residents of Wyoming and be a taker....

The entire my state pays for yours attitude is dumb. The United States collected $15k per citizen in 2022. If your family didn't contribute $15k or more in federal taxes PER PERSON, YOU are the welfare family.

See how dumb that it?
Some people are successful, some actually work hard, some are lucky. Some people obviously aren't and don't. I can see where you fall from that post.

See how dumb that it?
I see Montana is even more dependent on the feds than Wyoming. Your post makes a lot more sense now.

Marshfly

WKR
I see Montana is even more dependent on the feds than Wyoming. Your post makes a lot more sense now.
I pay in significantly more than I get back. But some of you have been conditioned to be mad about things that are basic parts of how a society works. You've been told you should be angry about these things when you are probably not paying your part personally.

Maybe your family pays more than that average but most don't. And that's how society works. In fact, it breaks down if some don't subsidize those that can't pay their fair share.
Did you buy groceries this week? That person working the register didn't pay their share. Neither did the person that checked you out at the gas station.