Wyoming G&F, how de we get a voice as NR's?

Tod osier

WKR
Oh I’ll be moving there in a few. It’ll be interesting going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Wyoming residents are perfectly fine saying ‘no those are ours. It’s a privilege for you to come here’ all at the same time having their hand out.

It might take me a year or two, to get that mentality. Wyoming residents are good at it though so eventually I’ll be able to learn it also.

I haven't moved yet, but I have it figured all now. :)

mntnguide

WKR
As I read the consistent whining from the couple same guys, I look forward to being in the wilderness with my horses next fall without them even more. 😆
Out of all states WY now gives out the fewest tags to NR’s, yet charges the most and residents still complain they can kill anything because of the few NR that are allowed to come hunt. Maybe WY needs to do away with the resident otc tags so there is less pressure from the 60k or 10% of residents that hunt, even resident hunters in WY are the minority there.
In 2022, WY gave out roughly 14k elk tags, 15k antelope, and 20k deer to NR. So, just about 50k NR big game tags were given, where is the lack of opportunity to hunt WY you are complaining about? How many other western states give that many Big game tags or more to NR hunters?

You keep bringing up MT, which is 50% larger than WY in terms of land size, 147k sq miles vs 98k sq miles, with a much larger elk population as well, so what is the point of your argument, they should be giving more elk tags based on the data of their state...not really an even comparison is it?

Flyjunky

WKR
Why do you think that would happen? I've never seen that any federal funds are predicated upon NR hunter opportunity. From what I understand, the bulk of PR funds are allocated based on state land mass as a portion of total US land mass and hunting licenses sold in the state as a % of the national total. The % of WY NR licenses as a % of the total licenses is not that high, so the decrease in PR dollars should likewise not be that substantial.

Based on simple assumptions, it looks like WY would need to increase R tag/license fees ~3.5x to equal NR license/tag fees.
Is that 3.5x just based off the elimination of NR licenses?

It was either an article that Randy did on Wyoming but I’m pretty sure I remember reading that in 2020 Wyoming sold $12 million in preference points alone. Make sure that $ amount is added in to the difference as well.

Gobbler36

WKR
Not exactly sure what your point is on this one.
  • The states own and manage the wildlife including big game
  • The states determine herd management
  • Residents pay the same federal taxes NR do and also local option sales taxes, property taxes, state road taxes, etc...
  • Residents are also the FULL TIME stewards of these lands 365 days per year, while NR hunters and tourists stop by for few days or couple weeks and then leave
Based on all of these points, IMO, for some NR to think they are entitled to the same opportunities as residents is a very Gen Z/Millenial point of view. Hunting and tag allocation are not subject to DEI initiatives.
This guy gets it

Gobbler36

WKR
If it makes anyone feel better I would gladly pay NR tag fees if it did away with NR's.

Fact is Wyoming reserves the right to allocate tags the way they see fit. As a WY resident I have zero say in how any other state decides to allocate tags or what they charge. It's pretty simple.
Same here as an Idaho resident I’d gladly pay twice the NR tag if it meant more opportunity from the NR pool of tags

Gobbler36

WKR
yep, most every one on here, especially residents have no clue what a budget buster booting non-residents would be and the affect on their wallet. In 2020, 77% license revenue is from Nonres. I'll help you guys out that haven't a clue. The Fish and Game revenue could drop from 2020s total of $88,563,841 to as low as $25,812841 depending on how the feds reacted with their Aide if you were able to get your wish. The rest is simple math, click the link... 2020 revenue
We forget though with the lower numbers of people using the area the cost would Be lower for maintaining certain things

Kodiak06

FNG
We forget though with the lower numbers of people using the area the cost would Be lower for maintaining certain things
NO WAY a State takes a $60 million budget cut and operates nearly the same, it's simple economics

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped applying in Wyoming. This year due to not applying previous years I stand to lose. 10 pts for Moose and Sheep. 3 deer pts, 6 elk pts and 9 antelope pts. I feel sorry for all the new NR applicants that don’t understand how Wyoming state legislators have ruined the opportunity for NR DIY hunters. There will be plenty of boobs with deep pockets to take my place.

I have hunted deer and elk in the state several times. The hunting is good but it’s not worth the headache. The wilderness BS, the reduced NR sheep and moose tag reductions, reg and special fleecing and the ridiculous tag price hikes are just too much to swallow.

Someone else can pay the bill. The states not getting any more of my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
As I read the consistent whining from the couple same guys, I look forward to being in the wilderness with my horses next fall without them even more.

In 2022, WY gave out roughly 14k elk tags, 15k antelope, and 20k deer to NR. So, just about 50k NR big game tags were given, where is the lack of opportunity to hunt WY you are complaining about? How many other western states give that many Big game tags or more to NR hunters?

You keep bringing up MT, which is 50% larger than WY in terms of land size, 147k sq miles vs 98k sq miles, with a much larger elk population as well, so what is the point of your argument, they should be giving more elk tags based on the data of their state...not really an even comparison is it?

It’s obvious to me that the people whining are the Wyoming residents. They are whining in the ears of their state legislators and it’s working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk