Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

BuzzH

WKR
@BuzzH is there any indication of the most likely outcome of this case?

What would be the best realistic outcome for those of us who are "pro" corner crossing in the future?

Thanks
Hard to know right now.

Court date is set for April, motion to dismiss has been filed on behalf of all 4 defendants (66 pages worth).

So the case will either be dismissed, withdrawn by the CA, or to court we go.

Spit balling, I say it gets dismissed, but who knows its really anybody's guess.

I believe the best outcome would be for either a dismissal or a not guilty verdict, but even a guilty verdict won't clarify it.

Where I would ultimately like this to go is a federal level decision on corner crossing, in particular after reading the motion to dismiss.

There are 22 states that have public lands impacted by corner crossing, would be ideal if whatever is decided is done so nationally. Would also be advantageous to have recreationists, hunters, fishermen, trappers, and really all the public land owners in those states to all be on the same page.

We're barely even into round 1...this is a 15 round, bare-knuckle brawl.

I really thought this was going to be the case to "test" the court.

Why root for a dismissal?

I thought actual clarification was what was being chased with this?

I'd think a dismissal doesn't prevent anyone else from being in these shoes again.

I'm no lawyer tho, maybe a dismissal can set precedence.

No it wont and the bill sponsors made it clear that its about vehicle traffic across private, not corner crossing.

I hope that’s true but it seems like something that is likely to be used for corner crossing arguments too.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
I hope that’s true but it seems like something that is likely to be used for corner crossing arguments too.
According to the Chief Game Warden, it won't change how they deal with corner crossing.

But, I agree with you, reason for caution and suspicion...worth trying to get some clarification, which we've done.

It has to pass by 2/3 vote and get out of committee...will keep you up to speed on how it goes.

BuzzH

WKR

I'd think a dismissal doesn't prevent anyone else from being in these shoes again.

I think everyone is hoping for that in the long run...but for now, because no hunters to our knowledge had ever been cited for criminal trespass corner crossing, we had to fight this. To not fight it, would mean possible precedence making future prosecution much easier.

That's step one.

To get what you're/ we're after is going to take a much heavier lift, but I'm confident it can be done. We're already talking next steps and strategy with a lot of different folks that are directly involved in this.

Give it some time...these issues are marathons, not sprints.

RMM

WKR

From what I understand, it will set a precedence but only in that particular county. For it to have the desired impact it would have to be a not guilty verdict at the federal level.

Slugz

WKR

Sounds like there is some valid claims of hunter harassment. Hope they took some videos of it as evidence.

BuzzH

WKR
Don't want to break protocol on this board by posting a link, but the motion to dismiss on this case is posted on hunttalk.

I tried to post it here, but it wouldn't let me due to file size (its 66 pages), but I wanted those that donated to the gofundme on this to have all the updates. I promised I would do that.

jmez

WKR
Another update regarding hb103...

The whole article seems to be a word play. Seems corner crossing is exactly what they are addressing.

Are there cases in WY where law enforcement refuses to write tickets for people driving across private property to hunt or shed hunt on the other side of it? Really????

BuzzH

WKR
The whole article seems to be a word play. Seems corner crossing is exactly what they are addressing.

Are there cases in WY where law enforcement refuses to write tickets for people driving across private property to hunt or shed hunt on the other side of it? Really????
Not that I've ever heard about.

I'm an east coast guy (sorry!)
I have to ask what is surely the dumbest question to be asked in 2022 on RS:
What is corner crossing?
thanks in advance for putting up with my dumb question.

mlgc20

WKR
I'm an east coast guy (sorry!)
I have to ask what is surely the dumbest question to be asked in 2022 on RS:
What is corner crossing?
thanks in advance for putting up with my dumb question.
Out West there are a lot of area where public land and private land are configured into parcels that look like a checkerboard. Corner crossing is going from a pieco of public land to another piece of public land at the corners of the checkerboard where the other two pieces to the corner are private land. For example, in the image below, the land in yellow is public. So, corner crossing would be going from one yellow square to another.
1645280991607.jpeg

Wow.
That's a crazy way to divide up land. Wonder how that could even have come into existence like that.
I'll spare the group the bunch of questions that come flooding to my mind, like how do the private landowners get to their properties without at some point crossing other private landowners' properties, how do hunters even get to the public lands in the first place, let alone get from one parcel to another? Etc.
But what I will go ahead and ask is this: I think I remember from when I lived in Arkansas 20 years ago that there is some sort of Federal (maybe it was a state) law that says members of the general public have to be given access to get to cemeteries even if that means crossing through someone's private land? And, I think there were US Supreme Court decisions that said that if a piece of Federal land is only accessible through private property the landowner has to grant the general public access? I am pretty sure of that, but it may only apply to access to rivers and oceanfronts; not sure if it includes access to land parcels that are publicly owned, but I think so.

Bighorner

WKR
If you want to know the intent of the bill is you need to read the bill. The politicians will say anything in an article to put the bill in favorable light.

Here's another one, from the same senator (Driskill) , that addresses the air space.

These are attempts to get at the corner crossing issue by defining the level of air space that can be gone after as criminal tresspass.

Make no mistake, they are taking corner crossing seriously and they are worried it will go in favor of the general public.

mlgc20

WKR
Wow.
That's a crazy way to divide up land. Wonder how that could even have come into existence like that.
I'll spare the group the bunch of questions that come flooding to my mind, like how do the private landowners get to their properties without at some point crossing other private landowners' properties, how do hunters even get to the public lands in the first place, let alone get from one parcel to another? Etc.
But what I will go ahead and ask is this: I think I remember from when I lived in Arkansas 20 years ago that there is some sort of Federal (maybe it was a state) law that says members of the general public have to be given access to get to cemeteries even if that means crossing through someone's private land? And, I think there were US Supreme Court decisions that said that if a piece of Federal land is only accessible through private property the landowner has to grant the general public access? I am pretty sure of that, but it may only apply to access to rivers and oceanfronts; not sure if it includes access to land parcels that are publicly owned, but I think so.
The history of how the land got like that goes back to the way land grants were issued when the railroads were being built.