"My Garmin In Reach" Saved My Bacon Today

Older hunter here pushing 68 this year. A number of years ago after cancer surgery and some heart work I was wanting to get back out into the woods and mountains. The doc was OK with the idea and said his only concern was for me to get back into shape. My wife was worried that something might happen to me and I would not be able to call for help. So, I got in shape and bought a SPOT, for those who don't know SPOT might have been first gen for notifying someone you needed help while out backpacking, hunting, etc. They would send a rescue team to come save you. Fast forward to last year and after a couple of upgrades from the old Spot unit, I purchased a Garmin In Reach system. There are several other devices on the market as well to choose from as well. I have been a Garmin user for years, so that is what I went with.

Today I was out driving around the national forest in a different state, in new area doing some scouting and in general looking around planning this years hunting season. As I was coming down the mountain and headed towards a main road, I got too close to the edge of the forest service road and found a soft spot and the passenger side went right off the shoulder. Stuck and in real danger of rolling / sliding off the road completely and tumbling down the mountain.
I grabbed the important stuff and crawled out of the truck. I had grabbed my cell phone and inreach. After a through review of the trucks situation and inventory of my lack of serious recovery gear, I realized I was not getting the truck out on my own. OK time to activate my emergency plan. I was in another state and many hours from home and friends. I grabbed my inreach, which will send alert if you need a full blown rescue team and medics or just an email via satellite to a friend, wife, etc. In my case it was my son, I sent him the waypoint of where I was, described my situation, asked him to call me a tow truck and tell my wife I was OK. By the way, I had no cell service. He sent me a message back and tells me he found a tow truck in the next closest town on its way. He was able to provide them my GPS coordinates and an e copy of the map that inreach had sent.
It only took a little over 3 hrs, as they had a truck and driver available. The moral of this story is that for us older folks (or anyone) a little planning goes a long way and hopefully a lot of things go right. I had told my son where I was heading and he said he would be monitoring his email all day in case I sent him a message or needed something. It could have just as easily my truck completely rolling down the hill or serious medical emergency, fortunately it was a small problem, but a manageable one because I had done some advance planning. So any way, if you don't have some kind of emergency way to contact people while your out in the back woods or maybe just on a few days road trip, I would recommend you think about getting something in case of emergency. Out west cell service can be iffy. In my opinion the best communicators all have satellite capability. The Garmin In Reach for example will default to a cell signal if one is available, if not will send out a satellite message.

Good luck and be safe out there. Sorry for the long post, but I find writing this all down has helped me think through what happened and what I can do to be better prepared for the next adventure.
Here is a pic of my truck off over the shoulder. The pic might not look too bad, but what you can't see is the drop off right next to the truck. Yup, really looking at upgrading my recovery equipment after todays episode.

Attachments

• Tacoma Off the Road.jpg
    Tacoma Off the Road.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah those devices are nice. In 2015 my friend and I got into a real bad situation packrafting. Long story (and trip) but a 5 day trip ended up taking 11 days. We used my InReach to communicate with my friend's wife so she wasn't worried about him. I didn't tell my family because I was single and on an extended road trip so no one was missing me!
Things got messy the last day. I turned the InReach off as we were getting out of the woods. It was at that point that my friend's wife (who was following our progress) sent a text. She was hiking out to meet us with two family friends and snacks (very nice if 5 days of food has been stretched to 11). We didn't see the text till we checked our phones in Jasper (her message went to both). So Ben had to run back down the trail to find his wife and friends who had passed us on the highway and hiked a mile or so out to meet us on the trail!
One thing I have thought about is that I might be fine, but when I hike in national parks its entirely possible That happened to a buddy of mine in Idaho, he ran into a dirt biker who had injured himself pretty badly and probably would not have made it without a quick rescue.

Taudisio

WKR
Older hunter here pushing 68 this year. A number of years ago after cancer surgery and some heart work I was wanting to get back out into the woods and mountains. The doc was OK with the idea and said his only concern was for me to get back into shape. My wife was worried that something might happen to me and I would not be able to call for help. So, I got in shape and bought a SPOT, for those who don't know SPOT might have been first gen for notifying someone you needed help while out backpacking, hunting, etc. They would send a rescue team to come save you. Fast forward to last year and after a couple of upgrades from the old Spot unit, I purchased a Garmin In Reach system. There are several other devices on the market as well to choose from as well. I have been a Garmin user for years, so that is what I went with.

Today I was out driving around the national forest in a different state, in new area doing some scouting and in general looking around planning this years hunting season. As I was coming down the mountain and headed towards a main road, I got too close to the edge of the forest service road and found a soft spot and the passenger side went right off the shoulder. Stuck and in real danger of rolling / sliding off the road completely and tumbling down the mountain.
I grabbed the important stuff and crawled out of the truck. I had grabbed my cell phone and inreach. After a through review of the trucks situation and inventory of my lack of serious recovery gear, I realized I was not getting the truck out on my own. OK time to activate my emergency plan. I was in another state and many hours from home and friends. I grabbed my inreach, which will send alert if you need a full blown rescue team and medics or just an email via satellite to a friend, wife, etc. In my case it was my son, I sent him the waypoint of where I was, described my situation, asked him to call me a tow truck and tell my wife I was OK. By the way, I had no cell service. He sent me a message back and tells me he found a tow truck in the next closest town on its way. He was able to provide them my GPS coordinates and an e copy of the map that inreach had sent.
It only took a little over 3 hrs, as they had a truck and driver available. The moral of this story is that for us older folks (or anyone) a little planning goes a long way and hopefully a lot of things go right. I had told my son where I was heading and he said he would be monitoring his email all day in case I sent him a message or needed something. It could have just as easily my truck completely rolling down the hill or serious medical emergency, fortunately it was a small problem, but a manageable one because I had done some advance planning. So any way, if you don't have some kind of emergency way to contact people while your out in the back woods or maybe just on a few days road trip, I would recommend you think about getting something in case of emergency. Out west cell service can be iffy. In my opinion the best communicators all have satellite capability. The Garmin In Reach for example will default to a cell signal if one is available, if not will send out a satellite message.

Good luck and be safe out there. Sorry for the long post, but I find writing this all down has helped me think through what happened and what I can do to be better prepared for the next adventure.
Here is a pic of my truck off over the shoulder. The pic might not look too bad, but what you can't see is the drop off right next to the truck. Yup, really looking at upgrading my recovery equipment after today’s episode.
Oooopsies. Close one!

Maki35

WKR
Glad to hear you're ok OP.

I would also consider mounting a winch on the truck (with a fire extinguisher, jack, shovel &axe).

Last edited:
I did that once. Had to walk 15 miles to get help and towed out.
Was about to write those exact words. Dead mans lookout above Redfeather Colorado. That was cold and way before Garmin.

OP, I too have an Inreach and have owned Spot. Glad it helped you. Thanks for sharing the story.

Dennis

WKR
Thanks for sharing your story and your lessons learned.

Several years ago I started carrying my InReach in my pocket attached to a belt loop rather than attached to my binocular harness or in my backpack. It is just too important not be with me during an emergency.

OP
PNW CAMPER
Glad to hear you're ok OP.

I would also consider mounting a winch on the truck (with a fire extinguisher, jack, shovel &axe).
Agree 100% I normally carry the axe, shovel, jack and fire exting, but I just took out my decked storage system a few days ago. Waiting for my new Radica Truck Topper to be completed and installed. A winch is high on my priority list and probably a heavy duty come along. Bad timing and bad judgement on my part.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good deal!

I used my inReach last week when doing the Bob Marshall Open; in addition to sending an "I'm OK" message to my wife when we made camp at night; I injured myself pretty good (bad I guess :D). No way I was making it another 40 miles to the trailhead where my truck was parked. Used the inReach to send my wife a message to pick me up the next day at another trailhead-took almost a half day to travel 10 miles (that's on pretty good trail w/o a lot of up/down). I was at the trailhead maybe 20 minutes and my wife showed up to "rescue" me :)

Damn handy device that everyone who ventures into the backcountry (or even the front country) should have.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I read something a couple of years about best practices with the inReach. I used to leave mine off to save battery and only turned it on when I wanted to send a message. I learned that simply having it on, without tracking, lets them ping your device in an emergency. Tracking is the best practice, but it does eat up battery on mine, so I now leave it on (except at night) w/o tracking and burns very, very little battery.

^ I read something a couple of years about best practices with the inReach. I used to leave mine off to save battery and only turned it on when I wanted to send a message. I learned that simply having it on, without tracking, lets them ping your device in an emergency. Tracking is the best practice, but it does eat up battery on mine, so I now leave it on (except at night) w/o tracking and burns very, very little battery.

Turning tracking on when in your tent uses very little battery. The reason is that InReach only sends a tracking point every 4 hours if you are not changing location.

SOME COOL INREACH FEATURES
1. You can send an SOS whether the device is on or off as long as it has a little battery power
2. "Extended Tracking" mode sends a GPS track every 30 minutes for about 30 DAYS (24 days for the Mini)!
- The device turns off Bluetooth and several other functions, but tracking continues to run
3. Turn off your backlight to save energy and use your headlamp or sunlight to see the display. The display gets BRIGHTEST in direct sunlight. All our cell phones and handheld devices used to be like this. It was a great time to be alive.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ good stuff :)

One other thing I found recently on a bear hunt. Went to send my wife a message via Explorer to let her know everything was OK. Get a message that says can’t connect to the Apple App Store- WTF? Bluetooth showed it was connected. Ended having to type a message on the Mini- very, very painful.

Turns out on iPhones sometimes apps are stored on the “cloud” vs your phone. You have to download the app again.

Not sure there is a way to prevent it from going to the “cloud”????

^ good stuff :)

One other thing I found recently on a bear hunt. Went to send my wife a message via Explorer to let her know everything was OK. Get a message that says can’t connect to the Apple App Store- WTF? Bluetooth showed it was connected. Ended having to type a message on the Mini- very, very painful.

Turns out on iPhones sometimes apps are stored on the “cloud” vs your phone. You have to download the app again.

Not sure there is a way to prevent it from going to the “cloud”????
That's probably a phone storage thing... iPhones tend to shift things to cloud storage after an extended time without use, especially if the phone is burning through memory storing trail camera videos of bucks you're never gonna catch up to in a million years.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds plausible.

I’ve got a call into Garmin to see if there is a way to prevent in the future.

Typing on the Mini is akin to torture :D

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think you're right; on an iPhone in the App Store settings there is a slide button for "Offload Unused Apps"- it was on (green), now it's off :ROFLMAO:

2Mj3Cge.png