Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

wapitibob

WKR
https://www.gofundme.com/f/corner-crossing-legal-fee-fundraiser

Time to step up if you hunt public land in Wyoming.
The Elk Mountain LO finally had enough and badgered the DA and/or Sheriff into issuing a ticket for criminal trespass via corner crossing. Four hunters have corner crossed here prior, this year they informed both the Warden and sheriff that they were crossing again and built a ladder to cross. Deputy issued citations and the hunters have plead not guilty. This needs to go to court and get resolved. A few $ to the gofundme would go a long way.

In years past hunters would go between the signs and at most get a warning, the deputy would not issue a ticket. LO then added the chain.

There's only one reason this LO doesn't want you crossing this corner, and that's to keep YOU off your public land.

A457E679-BD52-4466-9639-FE868CBE247B-1.jpeg

Interesting! I’ll send money in support! Hope it runs up the system and an official decision is made.

Dcrafton

WKR
Not marked as in the picture, I was told that it is my responsibility to know where I’m at.
The land owner called the warden (Garrett) ranch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcrafton

WKR
The warden said that I could fight it and I probably would do well (he didn’t say I would win or lose). But I needed to be in person to do so.
It would have costed me that much or more to get there and back.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
As much as folks trash talk BHA I believe they were working on this legislatively. Maybe its time to get some backing and start taking this up through the court system. This checker boarding of land is the biggest bunch of shit I have ever seen. Anyone on here that is a land owner doing this, I hope you get screwed.

Ron

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
If a Wyoming warden cited you, you were clearly on private land and intent on hunting. They don’t have authority to cite for criminal trespass.

Yes, a warden
c6e6bd4f4fb8420ba912cccd4c0c97e4.jpg

It’s just interesting as a few internet experts on this very forum told me WGF cannot issue a citation. (I was threatened with one by an officer).

The officer also mentioned revocation of my hunting/fishing privileges for one year. (This does not happen at criminal proceedings but at a later date) did they mention that?

Dcrafton

WKR
I shot my deer on public land, tagged correctly. He even asked if he could take nodes to test my deer for CWD also asked if he could take an ear as the college is testing new ways to test deer.

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
It’s just interesting as a few internet experts on this very forum told me WGF cannot issue a citation. (I was threatened with one by an officer).

The officer also mentioned revocation of my hunting/fishing privileges for one year. (This does not happen at criminal proceedings but at a later date) did they mention that?

Call the chief game warden for Wyoming and ask him if they have the authority to cite for a Title 6 violation (criminal trespass).
For a Title 23 violation you need to have "intent" to hunt/trap/fish etc on private, which falls under the Game dept scope of authority. When you cross with no intent, it becomes a Title 6 issue.

The AG was pretty clear

a.jpg

Dcrafton

WKR
I had to cross from public to public to get to where I was.
I was clearly on public land.
I’m sorry to say but clearly on public land.

Dcrafton

WKR
I don’t agree with the way this showed up online when I went to pay it, but the citation was hard to read but our conversation about the citation, the warden said he did not agree with the way things are and that is when he said if I was to fight it I would probably do well.
He made sure he did not say that I would win or lose.
He said this was only for trespassing, he said at the time that it was not a hunting violation because it was clear to him and the land owner that I was on public land. But it was not possible for me to get there without crossing his land.
The land owner was there until the officer told him he was no longer needed.