Wolf information.

Shrek

WKR
Well , my views of wolves are pretty well known but if anyone has any doubt , I'm all for the extinction of wolves. Where are the wolf apologist ? Grizzly bears and lions can follow imo.

DaveC

WKR
There's comparable phenotypic variation amongst just about any large mammal across a similar geographic swath. If this work were about any other animal it would be zoological inside baseball. Is there any proper data showing significant behavioral differences between sub-species? No, because historical factors and the number of variables make it impractical. So we're left with sound and fury, along with no clear picture of wolf population numbers because there isn't enough funding.

Pretty interesting for sure. I am curious if anyone has gotten sick. I highly doubt anyone will go to prison even though there are some that need to.
Its what our govt does best. Spend money on something that is insane instead of make money.

I still think if the elk in YNP were destructive and too many why not sell tags and create revenue instead of spending millions on wolves.

In today's world, today's economy there is no room for wolves.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
As an Australian I am trying to understand the deep hatred for Wolves... I understand that the governments shady moves on re-introduction really made things worse... But aside from that, what other concerns are there with having them around?

Is it mainly toward hunters as they will diminish game populations? Is it that people are scared of attack, injury or disease? Are people generally upset that the specific species was not native? Perhaps a combination?

We have Dingos or wild dogs in Australia. They cause considerable damage to livestock which cause a lot of resentment. I am comfortable with hunting them when the opportunity arises (especially the many half-breeds) but I would never wish for them to be completely eliminated. They are a cultural part of our history. When I think of America, I think of the bear, mountain lion and wolf. They are fairly iconic to me and many others. While I may not experience the same issues, I would hope that they could live on in some manner - whether it be regulated numbers etc.

Over 80 years ago we had the Thylacine or 'Tasmanian Tiger' as a native. It was the only marsupial carnivore alive. They were hunted to extinction with a bounty on their heads due to livestock damage. There was rumour of a program to relocate them to the mainland many years ago and since then over 3000 unconfirmed sightings have occurred. I WISH this was true. Maybe the Wolves will suffer a similar fate and we will all wish they had not been eradicated 50 years from now?

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not an extremist like Shrek, but I would prefer a significant reduction in the wolf population. Wolves have a significant monetary value for the pro-wolf group for fundraising and legal fees from lawsuits. I question how many truly educated people would support an unresticted wolf population on its on. There needs to be balance and we have upset the balance.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask another question? People in most states with wolves seem to be able to pick up tags for wolves between $30-$50. Is that not some decent control? Or is it the protected areas that are of concern?

Mtnboy

WKR
The fact that we can hunt them now has helped some, but it's not enough, it took too long for the regualtions to be dropped so we could hunt them and in that time the numbers got out of control. That's why certain areas need "advanced" control like is going on in the Frank Church here in Idaho right now.

I remember going to the Fish & Game meetings about Wolf Re-introduction when I was a kid and hearing the old timers voice their opinons about what would happen and why it wasn't going to work out very well....well, here we are present day and those ol' boys pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I wish, just like others, they would have never brought them back, but I've also accepted the fact they are here to stay and we as Sportsman are going to have to find a way to live with them and help maintain a healthy balance moving forward.

I do my part by literally never leaving my house for any trip outside of town without a rifle in the vehicle...I vow to not miss my chance to help make a difference!

Guys guys, we as a community really need to quite whining about having to share game resources with our fellow predators (bears, cats and the big bad wolf)! Wilkes the Australian is correct when he asserts that these animals are an iconic and integral part of the North American landscape. We should be proud to hunt alongside them and when you have to walk a little further or hunt a little harder to find game, it should make it that much more rewarding when you bring down an animal in a real wilderness environment! Public land hunters should be especially happy about wolves moving elk and deer off the private riparian and lowland areas as well. The less-wolves-equals-more-game theory is bunk and we as stewards of the resource should educate ourselves and others about biological interactions and cycles in nature and work to ensure nature, red in tooth and claw is there for future generations! Long live ALL the predators!

Mtnboy

WKR
Guys guys, we as a community really need to quite whining about having to share game resources with our fellow predators (bears, cats and the big bad wolf)! Wilkes the Australian is correct when he asserts that these animals are an iconic and integral part of the North American landscape. We should be proud to hunt alongside them and when you have to walk a little further or hunt a little harder to find game, it should make it that much more rewarding when you bring down an animal in a real wilderness environment! Public land hunters should be especially happy about wolves moving elk and deer off the private riparian and lowland areas as well. The less-wolves-equals-more-game theory is bunk and we as stewards of the resource should educate ourselves and others about biological interactions and cycles in nature and work to ensure nature, red in tooth and claw is there for future generations! Long live ALL the predators!

If the less wolves equals more game theory is wrong, then explain to me the drastic decline in elk population in Idaho since the re-introduction...

Do you live in an area where there is wolves?

It's my experience that wolves are pushing game into lower/more populated areas in some instances, because the game knows they are safer with more humans around.

Nice first post by the way, makes me feel like you have an agenda...if I had to guess, you won't be around long.

Shrek

WKR
You are NOT part of my community ! The guys who claim that the wolves and bears give them a trill or make them feel special I can buy but anyone who says it makes the game hunting better is full of chit. My experience this year was same as Mtnboy's. In the area that was crawling with wolves the only place I found any amount of elk sign was threaded among the houses by the river with the whitetail deer. Up with the wolves I found a couple of well dispersed tracks over many miles. Locals kept telling me to hunt lower but I wasn't getting just how low they meant until I was about to leave. When they said they had seen some elk near their house they meant in their freaking yard.

Ray

WKR
Can I ask another question? People in most states with wolves seem to be able to pick up tags for wolves between $30-$50. Is that not some decent control?

Buying a tag does not equal taking a wolf. Wolves are a hard animal to hunt. To consistently take wolves you need to be a highly skilled hunter, or lucky more often than not. The noise of trucks, crunching snow, chambering rounds, talking, etc will send a wolf to walking quietly away if they are within hearing distance - half mile or so from what I have experienced here in Alaska. Your average US hunter closes their truck door, as well as talks, way too loud to ever see a wolf let alone take one. The trappers I have talked to about trapping wolves are some of the craftiest men to ever live. The amount of mental and physical effort they go through to take a couple of wolves would exhaust your average citizen hunter.

Today we will have wolves forever and will have to deal with it over the next generations. Piosion is the only reason they were wiped out and that will never be allowed again.

For me, now that wolves are well established out west, I want them across their former habitat. Insurance companies are whining about whitetail deer causing too many car accidents in the corn belt? Wolves will fix that in just a few years. The urbanites asked for wolves to be brought back, so they should share in the experience. A few mountain lions will add a special thrill to walking the dog in the park as well.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wow. Do a little research on the subject

Shrek

WKR
The urbanites asked for wolves to be brought back, so they should share in the experience. A few mountain lions will add a special thrill to walking the dog in the park as well.
Yes Sir ! Lions and wolves in central park in NYC and battery park in San Francisco. Lock up fluffy in the house and carry bear spray to the music festival. If it's good enough for country folks then it's good enough for city slickers. When I hear some soccer mom talking about how neat it is that wolves are back I think of the scene in the Shrek movie where prince farquat says " I know some of you may die but thats a price I'm willing to pay " . When soccer mom's kids can't go outside without her worrying that a "poor , sick , old lion" might kill her kids is when poison will be fine and dandy by her. People freak out when a black bear walks through town looking for garbage around here. Wonder what they will think when wolves are spotted around town and the local g&f recommends you lock up your pets and keep your kids indoors ? When urban fantasy meets predator reality is going to be entertaining. Red wolves and panthers are coming to the national forests around here sooner or later . Panthers are already around in small numbers and the hog and coon hunters are keeping them as low as they can get away with.

Mn did share the moose and deer with the wolves. Now there is no moose season for humans. I wonder if the wolves got the memo.
They said the moose were dieing from every thing but wolves. So they started a 2 year study. Guess what after the first year 70% of moose kills are wolf related.

There is no room for wolves in today's economy. I would rather hunt animals then to hunt a few tracks that are filled with lots of wolf tracks.

This Midwest farm boy wants wolves as much as the western people that have to deal with them every day.

Vandal 44

WKR
Str8shooter, I think you have been given some bad information about Wolves and how they are helping with big game hunting. I am not happy about the Wolf being re-introduced to the lower for 48. I am not sure why they say "re-introduced" the Wolf has been in the lower 48 for many many years.
The biggest problem I have is not so much with the wolf, its with the governmental agencies, and the people saying that the Wolf is an in-danger species. I feel the Wolf should be treated like most predators and we should be able to hunt them and we should have the ability to purchase multiple tags. The Wolf ,when they have pups will have as many as 5 in litter, compare that to a Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, or Cougar which will only have one and at most two offspring. It does not take long for the Wolf population to explode out of control. Therefor the Wolf needs to be managed, the Wolf also does not have any natural predator to keep their population in check.
In Washington we as hunters do not have the privilege to hunt the wolf, therefor the wolf population is getting out of control.
I am ok with the Wolf but we as a society must and need to be able to hunt and trap the wolf. I know their are some people on this site that will disagree with me and I am ok with it. Just my 2 cents

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider

What! I disagree.

Not to be a killjoy...but methinks Str8shooter just trolled everyone. Joined: Jan 2014, post count: 1 total... best to leave his/her comment alone.

As for wolves, they are ridiculously smart and as such, very tough to kill. Should they be here? I'd prefer to see them protected in the parks and killed on site elsewhere. But I don't want to see them exterminated completely.