I dont understand the hostility towards wolf reintroduction in Colorado

CBar

FNG
As expected, first predation event. The article details that under newly formed Colorado statute to reimburse ranchers for loss to wolves, only $15,000 per rancher per year is permitted. If this wolf gets a taste for calves during calving season, it wouldn’t take long to surpass that allocation…

fwiw this could easily be one of the several documented wolves not reintroduced this year, but crossed naturally from Wyomings population.

If I'm not mistaken, and this is my biggest worry. It is less about the reintroduction, (they are already moving in on their own), but more about how Colorado will plan to manage the populations. We need to focus on making clear guidelines for what constitutes "reintroduced" we need to be able to take them off the endangered list here ASAP, and be able to regulate their populations via normal North American Wildlife Conservation models.

If we can't manage the populations, we'll for sure see negative effects on elk, moose, and deer populations before they have a chance to change their habits based around a new, formerly absent predator. We haven't had a pack hunting threat in the Colorado mountains for a very long time. The animals here don't remember what it is like to run from those kinds of threats. They'll be at a major disadvantage for a good period of time before they learn to change their habits to accommodate the new threat.

I'm no expert, and no biologist, I know there are some benefits to having them, and some negatives. The other main issue with reintroduction in Colorado, is the fact that we already have a booming and arguably over-populated lion and black bear population set. And Colorado is trying to further restrict predator hunting which is going to further cripple, not only undulate populations, but also hunter contributions and conservation fund loss because fewer people will have desire to hunt here now.
Nailed it.

Shameless plug for CRWM.

www.savethehuntcolorado.com

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this one back up considering the recent articles I've seen...

Then the swift response from the reintroduced wolves, who clearly read the above article, and responded "Hold my Beer" and killed 4 yearlings for sport the day after the article came out...

Maxhunter

WKR
I live in Wyoming and we’ve put up with wolves for quite some time. Like stated they prey on herds pretty hard.

The reason people want them especially non hunters is because they look all cute and cuddly per the anti’s and media propaganda.

The bottom line is anti’s want them to manage the herds and leave the sportsman out of the equation. You need to realize that taxpayers and Pittman-Robertson funds are be utilized to fund these programs.

Sadly, this is something that isn't talked about.
When I was in Jr High (‘87), my biology class partnered with IFG and“adopted” one of the Woodland Caribou. We got reports once a month of where he had been and other info that 7th grade kids couldn’t care less about. I believe he was eaten by a cat in ‘90. Back then their enemy was loggers. Little did they know that USFWS and the Nez Perce were going to introduce the devil 4 short years later.

Clark33

WKR
We need one of the conservation groups to buy a bunch of ad space and show commercials of wolves eating their prey a$$ first while its still alive. Show the environmentalist city dwellers a bit of reality.