Mental Exercise: Wolves or Cattle?

I need to go through my box of hunting tapes. I think I have one TV with a VHS player still, will need to watch some to see which it's on. I also have some video of my favorite bow hunting area before the new wolves were turned loose. Like freaking National Geographic. I should get that converted too. Give me a few days.

Traveler

WKR
It’s really hard to make this comparison without considering human populations. I think hunting elk in 1830 if I was the only one with a bugle tube would be killer…

Once large human populations are present cattle is the better choice every day. That said, the west never was and isn’t now able to support large cattle populations year after year…

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
First of all the question was which would you rather have around. I never compared Alaska with anywhere. I just noted that for a bunch of guys who’d rather hunt around cattle than wolves you’d think their dream hunts would be in Texas or Oklahoma or some shit.

It’s what you insinuated, to me. My point stands that Alaska hunting (with wolves present) might as well be a different planet and should be left out of the thread since we all know this is about lower 48 where the vast majority of hunters hunt in the US.

Htm84

WKR
It’s what you insinuated, to me. My point stands that Alaska hunting (with wolves present) might as well be a different planet and should be left out of the thread since we all know this is about lower 48 where the vast majority of hunters hunt in the US.

It may be aimed towards the lesser 48. But in my opinion you have a pretty good look at both scenarios being asked about. One has wolves and no cattle. The other has cattle and few wolves in certain parts of the country. People say they’d rather have cattle but then dream of going to woof country. Nobody asked anything about strip malls or populations. Just straight up wolves or moo cows.

Rich M

WKR
Exactly, they go apples to apples when it is more like apples to watermelon when comparing Ak to Co
I was bringing up the absurdity of it all. A does not = B and B does not = C so A does not = C. Wolves do not equal more game, but instead the opposite.

We are well past animals being able to manage themselves. The sooner folks accept that, the better.

And the dream of hunting the unspoiled west is a nice fantasy to have. Maybe it could be close to reality on a large, private ranch…

And most folks seem to bitch about NR hunters. But lets bring in wolves and big bears. Some serious synapse issues going on.

Rich M

WKR
It may be aimed towards the lesser 48. But in my opinion you have a pretty good look at both scenarios being asked about. One has wolves and no cattle. The other has cattle and few wolves in certain parts of the country. People say they’d rather have cattle but then dream of going to woof country. Nobody asked anything about strip malls or populations. Just straight up wolves or moo cows.
Not everyone cares about hunting AK. It’s expensive and overrated. But is probably the last chance at caribou most guys will ever get.

And if guys want caribou, get off yer duffs and get up there cause it is not gonna be there for long.

Still moo cows. I like the ribeyes best.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I was bringing up the absurdity of it all. A does not = B and B does not = C so A does not = C. Wolves do not equal more game, but instead the opposite.

We are well past animals being able to manage themselves. The sooner folks accept that, the better.

And the dream of hunting the unspoiled west is a nice fantasy to have. Maybe it could be close to reality on a large, private ranch…

And most folks seem to bitch about NR hunters. But lets bring in wolves and big bears. Some serious synapse issues going on.
Exactly, what kills me is folks cannot grasp why a lot of residents are fighting hard for more tags, especially in Co. I think a lot of serious resident hunters here know that tags will be drastically cut, as the CPW has stated to ensure that woofs have game to eat. I believe they will want the elk and deer herds 10% over objective right now. If they aren’t they will drop hunter tags. So when we constantly fail to meet the herd objectives while wolves continue to eat game year round… the only thing CPW can adjust is human tags. They made us a big ole crap sandwich and now we have to sit hear and eat it :(

Rich M

WKR
Exactly, what kills me is folks cannot grasp why a lot of residents are fighting hard for more tags, especially in Co. I think a lot of serious resident hunters here know that tags will be drastically cut, as the CPW has stated to ensure that woofs have game to eat. I believe they will want the elk and deer herds 10% over objective right now. If they aren’t they will drop hunter tags. So when we constantly fail to meet the herd objectives while wolves continue to eat game year round… the only thing CPW can adjust is human tags. They made us a big ole crap sandwich and now we have to sit hear and eat it :(
It’ll come into focus but too late, i fear.

Folks can look at yellowstone for an example. Wolves pushed the elk and deer into thicker cover and away from the open parks.

That 1 change will mess up many of the hunters in CO. No more easy elk or deer. The NR hunters are running them off. LoL!

Htm84

WKR
Not everyone cares about hunting AK. It’s expensive and overrated. But is probably the last chance at caribou most guys will ever get.

And if guys want caribou, get off yer duffs and get up there cause it is not gonna be there for long.

Still moo cows. I like the ribeyes best.

Funny you didn’t mention woofs as a reason not wanting to hunt AK…

Pdzoller

WKR
Wolves and undisturbed land. I hate seeing cattle while out in nature. No better than “wild” horses in my opinion. I don’t need range cattle for any reason in my life. Apologies if I offend anyone.

Folks can look at yellowstone for an example. Wolves pushed the elk and deer into thicker cover and away from the open parks.
I've noticed elk wintering closer to human habitation than years previous.

And they've learned to be less vocal; or the vocal ones get eaten and don't reproduce.

“Everything is better with some cows around”
I love Corb...

But in this case, I think I'd probably pick wolves.

Not because of any great love of them... Because I'm curious to a fault. And I love wild things and places. Wolves are unquestionably more wild than cows.

I care more about the experience and seeing cool stuff than killing.

It's definitely an intersting thought.

49ereric

WKR
I've noticed elk wintering closer to human habitation than years previous.

And they've learned to be less vocal; or the vocal ones get eaten and don't reproduce.
hunters hate wolves cuz they make elk-deer smarter or they get eaten.

JjamesIII

WKR
People have been an integral part of the ecosystem, just as wolves. Both can be a problem, but unlike wolves, we regulate ourselves and our “harvest”/killing. Wolves don’t have the capacity to self regulate, so we will see dramatic swings in the predator/prey cycle if they go unchecked. Obviously not the fault of the wolf, for they are just born to kill.

To address the free range cattle, they are impacting the landscape. But as in our hunting, their impact is also are monitored/regulated. Now let’s talk about feral horses……🤨

49ereric

WKR
People have been an integral part of the ecosystem, just as wolves. Both can be a problem, but unlike wolves, we regulate ourselves and our “harvest”/killing. Wolves don’t have the capacity to self regulate, so we will see dramatic swings in the predator/prey cycle if they go unchecked. Obviously not the fault of the wolf, for they are just born to kill.

To address the free range cattle, they are impacting the landscape. But as in our hunting, their impact is also are monitored/regulated. Now let’s talk about feral horses……🤨
Still deer here with wolves but the last two severe winters thinned the deer out some.
animals adapt to wolves believe it or not 😆
been listening to wolf haters most of my life just the same old broken record droning out falsehoods.

SWOHTR

WKR
I love Corb...

But in this case, I think I'd probably pick wolves.

Not because of any great love of them... Because I'm curious to a fault. And I love wild things and places. Wolves are unquestionably more wild than cows.

I care more about the experience and seeing cool stuff than killing.

It's definitely an intersting thought.
I do tend to agree with you.

But I also love that song…

OP
Rusty Shackelford

I initially thought about wild horses vs. wolves but that’s too easy… and not that I’d ever vote to reintroduce wolves anywhere but if I did I’d say release them in those wild horse stricken areas first.

JjamesIII

WKR
I initially thought about wild horses vs. wolves but that’s too easy… and not that I’d ever vote to reintroduce wolves anywhere but if I did I’d say release them in those wild horse stricken areas first.
I know wolves are some lethal predators, but I wonder if they would go after a healthy adult horse? I heard they will kill colts and sick ones. A healthy herd of wild horses isn’t really a soft target. I’m guessing the wolves would wreck their regular quarry populations before resorting to the feral horses. Just speculation.