30 year quest for a wolf

I say 30 years. I am not sure exactly when it started but it's been at least that long, probably longer. I first saw one while bear hunting with a bow. I had a white wolf at 15 yards for 15 minutes but could not get a shot. Another white one 20 yards but made a noise when I had to turn to my right to shoot and spooked it. I was 0-3 on wolf hunts including one with Redfrog. I have been friends with an outfitter in Alberta since the early 90's. My wife took the first bear for his operation, we were his first clients. He is not a wolf guide but has plenty in his area. I ask him as a huge favor to do a wolf hunt for me. I didn't think through what I was asking cause this guy gives 100% always no matter what he does. He collected bait for 3 months. Built me a special insulated blind, 6" thick floor and roof. Silent windows and seat, camo'ed to the max and then found the perfect place to put it. I have a really bad leg with poor circulation and he knew I couldn't stand Alberta's cold. The blind was so well built, just the pilot light on the buddy heater kept me warm with temps in the F teens.

MvMYTdt.jpg

He started baiting a month before I got there and had dozens of videos with lots of wolves in the daylight. Singles, pairs, a pack of 4 regular, a pack of 6. My hunt was to start on Jan 1. On Dec 23 wolf activity stopped as if flipping the switch. When I got there, no wolves on cam for 8 days. View from the bait to the blind.

2sFXozQ.jpg

On the evening of day 1, my guide heard two packs. He was waiting on me 2 miles away and one pack was in my direction. My hearing is gone and even with hearing aids I couldn't hear them. He walked in to get me instead of bringing the quad. He could hear them from my blind but as hard as I tried I couldn't. He is honest as a man gets and I knew he was excited, they were back. Next morning I went in before daylight and set till dark. I could tell by the way the bait was scattered from the look on day 1 they had been there that night. No wolves seen, just ravens. Even though I didn't see them, I believed they were close and it could happen anytime. Day 3 plan was the same as day 2, before daylight to dark. At 9:02 AM, a 71# female come sneaking across the ice. She circled in on my side of the bait and stopped broadside 88 yds away. The .243 barked and she collapsed, just a couple twitches of the tail was all she had left. I was as happy as I have ever been in the wild. I called the guide and he said he would be there in 45 minutes. At about 55 minutes, a 110# male approached from the same direction as the female had. I was so afraid the guide was going to spook him driving the quad in before I could get a shot. The male had his eyes on the dead female and stopped broadside at 104 yds. The first shot put him in the spin mode and the second shot ended it. My guide arrived 2 minutes later.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I guess I have been both.

hHFPubP.jpg

The male

3vgkAB6.jpg

male's teeth

LtqVVA5.jpg

It was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. I owe my guide big time. I leave his name out because he is not interested in doing more wolf hunts.
It is he that done all the WORK, I just pulled the trigger

I say 30 years. I am not sure exactly when it started but it's been at least that long, probably longer. I first saw one while bear hunting with a bow. I had a white wolf at 15 yards for 15 minutes but could not get a shot. Another white one 20 yards but made a noise when I had to turn to my right to shoot and spooked it. I was 0-3 on wolf hunts including one with Redfrog. I have been friends with an outfitter in Alberta since the early 90's. My wife took the first bear for his operation, we were his first clients. He is not a wolf guide but has plenty in his area. I ask him as a huge favor to do a wolf hunt for me. I didn't think through what I was asking cause this guy gives 100% always no matter what he does. He collected bait for 3 months. Built me a special insulated blind, 6" thick floor and roof. Silent windows and seat, camo'ed to the max and then found the perfect place to put it. I have a really bad leg with poor circulation and he knew I couldn't stand Alberta's cold. The blind was so well built, just the pilot light on the buddy heater kept me warm with temps in the F teens.

MvMYTdt.jpg

He started baiting a month before I got there and had dozens of videos with lots of wolves in the daylight. Singles, pairs, a pack of 4 regular, a pack of 6. My hunt was to start on Jan 1. On Dec 23 wolf activity stopped as if flipping the switch. When I got there, no wolves on cam for 8 days. View from the bait to the blind.

2sFXozQ.jpg

On the evening of day 1, my guide heard two packs. He was waiting on me 2 miles away and one pack was in my direction. My hearing is gone and even with hearing aids I couldn't hear them. He walked in to get me instead of bringing the quad. He could hear them from my blind but as hard as I tried I couldn't. He is honest as a man gets and I knew he was excited, they were back. Next morning I went in before daylight and set till dark. I could tell by the way the bait was scattered from the look on day 1 they had been there that night. No wolves seen, just ravens. Even though I didn't see them, I believed they were close and it could happen anytime. Day 3 plan was the same as day 2, before daylight to dark. At 9:02 AM, a 71# female come sneaking across the ice. She circled in on my side of the bait and stopped broadside 88 yds away. The .243 barked and she collapsed, just a couple twitches of the tail was all she had left. I was as happy as I have ever been in the wild. I called the guide and he said he would be there in 45 minutes. At about 55 minutes, a 110# male approached from the same direction as the female had. I was so afraid the guide was going to spook him driving the quad in before I could get a shot. The male had his eyes on the dead female and stopped broadside at 104 yds. The first shot put him in the spin mode and the second shot ended it. My guide arrived 2 minutes later.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I guess I have been both.

hHFPubP.jpg

The male

3vgkAB6.jpg

male's teeth

LtqVVA5.jpg

It was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. I owe my guide big time. I leave his name out because he is not interested in doing more wolf hunts.
It is he that done all the WORK, I just pulled the trigger.
Congrats on the double I'm actually thinking about a wolf hunt and after 30 years you probably know some outfitters that specialize in wolf hunts any info would be greatly appreciated

LG1

FNG
Fantastic hunt! Great looking pair. Hunt of a lifetime, in my opinion.

Are you going to get them rugged, mounted, etc...?

Thanks for sharing the hunt.

mitchell

FNG
Congratulations on the two banger ! They both look like they are totally prime animals with no shoulder lice damage. Looks like you cought them just right as they were doing their pass through their territory. Good job !