Mental Exercise: Wolves or Cattle?

Htm84

WKR
Have you ever hunted up there? Life is tough, and you can go days without seeing a moose. Low density population and low density of people/hunters, compared to the lower 48.

Let not forget, the wolves reintroduced aren't exactly the ones that were here to begin with. People have changed the landscape and it's too late to go back.

Also when predators get out of hand they break out the aerial assault, the lower 48 doesn't.

Have I ever hunted Alaska? Once or twice pal.

Btaylor

WKR
I think I would like to vote no cattle, sheep or wolves on public ground. Human intrusion has significantly restricted the habitat and to me it makes more sense to remove non-native resource consumers whether that resource be habitat or game critters. Why not protect and properly manage what we have left.

wolves.

Then I'd shoot and trap them to extinction.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact we (Montana) have grizzlies and had native
wolves ( before these huge non-native species were turned loose).

But with the way our game and public lands have been grossly mismanaged
hunters and wildlife would be better off without either on public land.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The problem with this is they killed off just about everything. It wasn’t just shit with pointy teeth.
This is correct which is why NAM of conservation seems like it has been working pretty well if we want to compare what we have done here in the US vs other places where game was hunted to extinction for food or what not. Again I am still pretty upset about the wolf thing in Co, not because there will be wolves on the landscape ( they have been here for decades) but because NAM is being thrown in the trash with this idea that wildlife utopia will exist. Unmanaged/ unhunted wolves will be the death of hunting in Co.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks for bringing some common sense into this conversation.

Some folks think up scenarios on how things would be better and push for them. AK has more game and also has wolves. So if we reintroduce wolves to CO, there will be more game.

The logic is sound! Let's do it.
Exactly, they go apples to apples when it is more like apples to watermelon when comparing Ak to Co

ODB

WKR
Oversimplifying this but If you had the ability to hunt what was the undisturbed United States, or at least as close as you could get to what was the landscape before we spread all over it would you?

I know a few people who knew people who hunted and lived in east Africa (say the turn of the century ) when lion and leopard were considered vermin and required no license to kill. Between the great cats and hyaena, there was an absolute glut of predators. Yet no one ever claimed to need to kill lion and leopard to protect wild animals, (of which there was also a glut), only penned or grazing domestic stock.

I’ve never been able to reconcile the gulf of difference between there and here…

If we are force to have wolves, I hope the wolves eat all of the cattle in the area that I Elk hunt. They are a menace to my elk hunting. I hope they eat the sheep too....and the sheep dog that tried to eat me that one time.

Preferably, eat that sheep dog first.

I hate hunting around cattle with a passion.
With that said, in todays culture I hate wolves equally as much. It’s not the wolves fault however. the antis agenda with them that is bad news.
Dumping wolves in Co with no management allowed in the future is recipe for disaster. Sure the wildlife coexisted together. But there wasn’t 10’s of thousands of hunters on the landscape at that time.

With a nation of 330 million people. It takes a lot of beef to feed that tribe. When I think of our public lands they are for all to use. Including those pesky cattle ranchers.

How much winter range has been lost due to mankind sprawling on the landscape.? A lot

As mentioned before. Comparing Alaska to the lower 48 is an apples to watermelon comparison. One of the least populated states that is the largest state in total acres and they still have to manage predators. A number of years ago I read sone GMU reports on predator management for Alaska. It was clear the units that had high numbers of predator management had good numbers of moose.

My long winded answer results in cattle.

Htm84

WKR
How many strip malls, subdivisions, highways, etc are there in these landscapes of the NWT, Yukon, Alaska wilderness winter ranges? How many millions of people are raping the landscape up there? Comparing managed or unmanaged wolves in the lower 48 to Canada and Alaska is lame. It’s safe to assume you didn’t even come up with this statement yourself and took it from Rinella’s short sided argument to say the least. I’d love to hunt the Yukon and Alaska someday and don’t mind the presence of wolves when the nearest road and town of 20 people is hundreds of miles away.

First of all the question was which would you rather have around. I never compared Alaska with anywhere. I just noted that for a bunch of guys who’d rather hunt around cattle than wolves you’d think their dream hunts would be in Texas or Oklahoma or some shit.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not these wolves.

Just clarifying.
It’s the same Canadian greys they released in Yellowstone, they have migrated down, heck one was hit outside Bailey in the early 2000’s people have had confirmed sightings for a while

Correct. Not the native species we had prior to the government forced infestation
of this non-native species. I have video of a pack of native wolves on a ranch near Agusta, MT prior to the so-called "re-introduction" BS.

KurtR

WKR
First of all the question was which would you rather have around. I never compared Alaska with anywhere. I just noted that for a bunch of guys who’d rather hunt around cattle than wolves you’d think their dream hunts would be in Texas or Oklahoma or some shit.
Haha you act like Texas and Oklahoma are the only states with cattle.

Htm84

WKR
Correct. Not the native species we had prior to the government forced infestation
of this non-native species. I have video of a pack of native wolves on a ranch near Agusta, MT prior to the so-called "re-introduction" BS.

Post it