Why is Seek Outside giving gun control advocate Ryan Busse air time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*zap*

WKR
the anti constitution agenda is huge and a clear & present danger to this republic. If you do not buy chinese/anti gun/pro freak what are you going to buy?

The fact that so many companies are going this way should show you what the consensus is for the future. The infestation runs very deep and will not be easy to eradicate. #resist.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
^^^this. Their quality is top notch and their products are innovative, but they've always given me the liberal+ vibe. I've spent a lot of money with them over the years and appreciate the solid gear. But we're done. I've owned a bunch of the LBO components, a Silex and nest, pack frame and 2 different bags and currently have an Eolus that I really like. It will be my last SO product, but I will continue to use it. Bummer.
I need a lbo connecting tarp if you or anyone else wants to protest seek.

svivian

WKR
One last comment on it… when I went in and asked for Kevin they acted like they had no idea who I was talking about.

I used to go in when they owned the building across from the DOW office. It was way different back then. It was more like the garage style pack and tent building that got me excited about them and why I bought their stuff. Kevin was right there going over everything and new designs.

I’m not sure how involved Kevin is anymore really other than just owning the company.

I could be completely wrong and hopefully he chimes in.

Traveler

WKR
Not sure I understand all the consternation. They are an outdoors and primarily tent company that may have had hunters as original customers as part of their roots but were never in a blood pact to only build for hunters. They are a business. A lot of different sectors need tents, why wouldn’t they appeal to them as well? Pretty sure Ford and Chevy sell to non hunters also.

One last comment on it… when I went in and asked for Kevin they acted like they had no idea who I was talking about.

I used to go in when they owned the building across from the DOW office. It was way different back then. It was more like the garage style pack and tent building that got me excited about them and why I bought their stuff. Kevin was right there going over everything and new designs.

I’m not sure how involved Kevin is anymore really other than just owning the company.

I could be completely wrong and hopefully he chimes in.
They own two different buildings.
Hq is over across from the tracks.

mt100gr.

WKR
I need a lbo connecting tarp if you or anyone else wants to protest seek.
There will undoubtedly be some SO gear showing up in the classifieds. I sold 3 LBO bases, 2 connecting tarps, and a 3pc vestibule over the years....and a stove....not holding right now tho. Just my Eolus and nest.

svivian

WKR
They own two different buildings.
Hq is over across from the tracks.
That’s actually their sew shop where all the sewing is done. Their main warehouse is on 23 rd.

I’m referring to about 8 or 10 years ago.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
Not sure I understand all the consternation. They are an outdoors and primarily tent company that may have had hunters as original customers as part of their roots but were never in a blood pact to only build for hunters. They are a business. A lot of different sectors need tents, why wouldn’t they appeal to them as well? Pretty sure Ford and Chevy sell to non hunters also.
They took it to a political place. They could have kept everything on course for all of those customer bases by keeping their political values out of it.

I listened to the podcast a while back. One of his points was that there’s no room for criticism in the gun industry. Any criticism and you’re labeled an anti gun RINO. This thread is proof.
How healthy can a group of people be if criticism isn’t allowed? That’s one of the criteria for group think.
I’ll continue to support SO.

OP
B
I listened to the podcast a while back. One of his points was that there’s no room for criticism in the gun industry. Any criticism and you’re labeled an anti gun RINO. This thread is proof.
How healthy can a group of people be if criticism isn’t allowed? That’s one of the criteria for group think.
I’ll continue to support SO.
The reason there is no room for criticism is because nothing is ever good enough for gun control advocates. As soon as they get what they “want” they realize what they wanted didn’t work and want more.

Eventually you get to a place like DC and NYC where being a gun owner or hunter is virtually impossible due to restrictions and crime is still rampant.

Hunter recruitment in those places is virtually impossible. As a result hunter based conservation efforts in those areas are virtually impossible.

Bottom line, hunters giving any credence or quarter for gun control advocates are shooting themselves in the foot. Part of the “access” problem than hunters have in certain parts of the country and the world is access to firearms.

gabenzeke

WKR
There’s some truth to what you’re saying. But look at you, you’re freaking out over a conversation. You’re proving a lot of what Busse had to say.
It’s not just the 2A. The whole Republican Party would be a lot healthier without the group think.
I don't think he's freaking out. He's the other half of the conversation people claim to want to have.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
B
There’s some truth to what you’re saying. But look at you, you’re freaking out over a conversation. You’re proving a lot of what Busse had to say.
It’s not just the 2A. The whole Republican Party would be a lot healthier without the group think.
Part of this is Busse himself. He likes to come across as this “well reasoned moderate” that has a different opinion than most hunters. His twitter tells the real story. It’s clear guy has a visceral hate for most gun owners and hunters.

Even with that, I’d be ok with it if it was a healthy conversation with some back and forth. I am an open meateater fan… Talk about a podcast who has had some controversial folks on it. Yvon Chouinard had some pretty extreme views and I wasn’t about to quit listening, but Rinella gave him some very healthy but respectful push back. Similarly they had Tucker Carson on and more or less avoided politics all together. It doesn’t sound like SO gave any push back whatsoever, and that says a lot.

I get what you are saying, and it’s a valid criticism of the right, but similarly as gun owners we’ve been screwed long enough and hard enough in parts of this country to be pretty damn defensive on the issue.

UpTop

WKR
Appealing to “different sectors” is not the issue at all. That should be pretty clear. We are on a hunting forum, talking about a company that makes a lot of money from the hunting community, actively agreeing with statements made by an anti gun advocate. Why would a person who enjoys hunting and owning firearms want to spend their money on products from a company that doesn’t support that?

Dos XX

WKR
Appealing to “different sectors” is not the issue at all. That should be pretty clear. We are on a hunting forum, talking about a company that makes a lot of money from the hunting community, actively agreeing with statements made by an anti gun advocate. Why would a person who enjoys hunting and owning firearms want to spend their money on products from a company that doesn’t support that?
And who is a sponsor of that forum.

There is zero reason for gun owners to compromise on the 2A. We have everything to lose and the anti’s have everything to gain. They do not operate in good faith and will continue to chip away, playing the long game. All the while we continue to support these companies that may make a good product, but definitely do not have our best interest in mind.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the way I see it.
We as hunters are in a fight everyday to protect our hunting and our 2nd amendment rights.
A true friend stays by your side and fights with you. Seek Outside ran away. That’s what upsets us. We felt they were our friends.
Nobody believes Ford and Chevy are truly our friends.

woods89

WKR
Part of this is Busse himself. He likes to come across as this “well reasoned moderate” that has a different opinion than most hunters. His twitter tells the real story. It’s clear guy has a visceral hate for most gun owners and hunters.

Even with that, I’d be ok with it if it was a healthy conversation with some back and forth. I am an open meateater fan… Talk about a podcast who has had some controversial folks on it. Yvon Chouinard had some pretty extreme views and I wasn’t about to quit listening, but Rinella gave him some very healthy but respectful push back. Similarly they had Tucker Carson on and more or less avoided politics all together. It doesn’t sound like SO gave any push back whatsoever, and that says a lot.

I get what you are saying, and it’s a valid criticism of the right, but similarly as gun owners we’ve been screwed long enough and hard enough in parts of this country to be pretty damn defensive on the issue.
If you are a Meateater listener you are putting money in Chernin's pocket, isn't that worse than SO? :)

I quit all this frothing a long time ago and now just buy what I like. A good portion of my hunting clothing is from backpacking brands so you can probably imagine how different their values are from mine. I own a SO pack and I'll continue to happily pack animals out with it.

I will say if I was in SO's shoes I would not be dabbling in controversial topics on podcasts. I know content creation is very effective marketing, but the risks can be pretty high as well.

And yea, Busse comes off as having a bit of an axe to grind.......

Status
Not open for further replies.