Why is Seek Outside giving gun control advocate Ryan Busse air time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First rule of business, don’t involve politics. Especially someone working to harm your customer base. He aired on episode 63 of their podcast to talk about gun control in America.

For those of you not aware, Ryan Busse used to be an executive at Kimber but left the gun industry in protest, and now actively works with anti gun groups.

If you want to know just how “special” this guy is check out his twitter…

https://twitter.com/ryandbusse?s=21&t=x-nJq2t_pJagMrNbkCzt2Q

For the record I’m not calling for the “canceling” of SO. But I am disappointed seeing a company that I’ve spent a small fortune at, that markets to hunters, give a guy who is openly anti gun a platform with their name on it. That was their decision, not mine, and I feel like those of us who feel strongly about gun rights, which includes most of us, need to be aware when companies either actively or passively work against our rights.

ETA this is one of his latest tweets… Apparently American flags are offensive and intimidating. He needs laughed out of the hunting community.8E9F54A3-F654-4469-9E30-CF168FF2D9D4.png
ETA2 I unfortunately had not yet had a chance to listen to the actual podcast when I posted this thread, but I knew who Busse was and what he stood for when I saw the podcast and put it out to rokslide as an FYI. I still haven’t had a chance yet today, but some folks have. According to them, they more or less as allowed him to push his views and the SO guys agreed with what he was peddling. That’s second hand, but give it a listen and judge for yourself. I’m ok with a healthy debate, but if they are going to give a guy like Busse a platform to spread his views unopposed I will take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
First rule of business, don’t involve politics. Especially someone working to harm your customer base. He aired on episode 63 of their podcast to talk about gun control in America.

For those of you not aware, Ryan Busse used to be an executive at Kimber but left the gun industry in protest, and now actively works with anti gun groups.

If you want to know just how “special” this guy is check out his twitter…

https://twitter.com/ryandbusse?s=21&t=x-nJq2t_pJagMrNbkCzt2Q

For the record I’m not calling for the “canceling” of SO. But I am disappointed seeing a company that I’ve spent a small fortune at, that markets to hunters, give a guy who is openly anti gun a platform with their name on it. That was their decision, not mine, and I feel like those of us who feel strongly about gun rights, which includes most of us, need to be aware when companies either actively or passively work against our rights.

ETA this is one of his latest tweets… Apparently American flags are offensive and intimidating. He needs laughed out of the hunting community.View attachment 518368
Flag etiquette is real. People have died to protect it and good friends of mine have been covered with it before being taken into the earths final embrace. I find it an insult to those friends when people are too lazy to replace it.

For the record, saying "I'm not calling on canceling of SO" does not change the fact that your actions say otherwise. Someone who needs to disavow their actions as they carry them out lacks integrity.

The fact that I disagree with Busse and don't like him changes none of those facts.

OP
B
Flag etiquette is real. People have died to protect it and good friends of mine have been covered with it before being taken into the earths final embrace. I find it an insult to those friends when people are too lazy to replace it.

For the record, saying "I'm not calling on canceling of SO" does not change the fact that your actions say otherwise. Someone who needs to disavow their actions as they carry them out lacks integrity.

The fact that I disagree with Busse and don't like him changes none of those facts.
He isn’t bitching about flag etiquette, he’s saying folks fly big American flags on their truck to “intimidate” people, which is insane.

If SO didn’t want to lose business from pro gun folks, then they shouldn’t have interviewed a gun control advocate to talk about gun control on a publicly published podcast. Again that was their decision, not mine.

Actions have consequences, and it was theirs and theirs alone.

If you want to keep spending your money there, by all means be by guest. But I feel like people should be aware.

Rich M

WKR
If people wear flag bathing suits and shirts, that is direspectful too. Not just some redneck thinking he’s promoting patriotism. If folks are intimidated by that, they really misunderstand and are probably intimidated by lotsa other stuff too.

Antigun Liberal busineses exist everywhere - facebook, paypal, etc. gotta pick and choose. If buying cheap chinese junk you can do bass pro or amazon. Bps at least promotes hunting and fishing.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
He isn’t bitching about flag etiquette, he’s saying folks fly big American flags on their truck to “intimidate” people, which is insane.
"Staked in a truck wind blown and tattered" is a violation of flag etiquette and as such disrespects the flag. I don't have to agree with his assumed motivation to agree with that first bit.
If SO didn’t want to lose business from pro gun folks, then they shouldn’t have interviewed a gun control advocate to talk about gun control on a publicly published podcast. Again that was their decision, not mine.
True, and you have every right to do what you have. But, trying to pretend encouraging a boycott is something other that it is, well that is not respectable and it suggests one is uncomfortable with their actions.

If you do something, own it. If you are unwilling to own it, don't do it.

I get it. Remember, we all have the freedom choice to do what we want.

And somebody mentioned previously, “it’s hard to buy anything these days” because of ideology.

But let this sink in… what phones and computers are we using right this minute to use our freedom of expressions,… and we all kno how the phone and computer people feel…

Hard to escape anything nowadays and have a real choice that’s akin to “our” feelings.

Just my .02 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
"Staked in a truck wind blown and tattered" is a violation of flag etiquette and as such disrespects the flag. I don't have to agree with his assumed motivation to agree with that first bit.

True, and you have every right to do what you have. But, trying to pretend encouraging a boycott is something other that it is, well that is not respectable and it suggests one is uncomfortable with their actions.

If you do something, own it. If you are unwilling to own it, don't do it.
Trust me, I don’t fly a giant flag on my truck and I sorta cringe when I see one that’s tattered and worn out flying. But intent matters, and I don’t think guys flying those flags are trying to disrespect the flag or intimidate people. Insinuating either is a stretch.

But back to the topic at hand… I believe people have a right to choose where they spend their money and they have a right to be informed about the companies they do business with. Do you disagree?

All I’m doing is informing people. What they do with that is purely their choice.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First- I haven't listened to it so can't comment on what the context truly is. No doubt most members commenting on this thread also failed to listen to the podcast before throwing out how messed up the world is.

Secondly- having a discussion on your podcast doesn't mean your in support of your guests view points.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
First- I haven't listened to it so can't comment on what the context truly is. No doubt most members commenting on this thread also failed to listen to the podcast before throwing out how messed up the world is.

Secondly- having a discussion on your podcast doesn't mean your in support of your guests view points.

I’ll admit I haven’t listened to it and yes you are correct, just having someone on your podcast doesn’t mean you endorse what they say. ME for example has had some pretty far left people on, and I’m still a fan, and most of those were still interesting conversations despite disagreeing with them.

That said when you have a guy on whose entire shtick is pushing gun control to talk about gun control, I start to question the intent of the invite.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll admit I haven’t listened to it and yes you are correct, just having someone on your podcast doesn’t mean you endorse what they say. ME for example has had some pretty far left people on, and I’m still a fan, and most of those were still interesting conversations despite disagreeing with them.

That said when you have a guy on whose entire shtick is pushing gun control to talk about gun control on your hunting podcast, I start to question the intent of the invite.
Hearing him talk likely isn't changing your position on hunting, but could possibly give you some insight into why he supports the position he does, which could be valuable when encountering those with a similar view in the future.

To summarize what harm does it do to expose this opinion to the core group of subscribers to the podcast, who by your own omission are hunters?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
But back to the topic at hand… I believe people have a right to choose where they spend their money and they have a right to be informed about the companies they do business with. Do you disagree?
I do not disagree.

It cuts all ways though, and it is either "canceling" or it is not. Who chooses to exercise that right does not change what doing so and propagating the decision to do so should be called.

Chad E

WKR
I’ll admit I haven’t listened to it.

Politics aside this right here is what has got us to the point we are at. Jumping to conclusions, complete lack of wanting anything other than an echo chamber etc.

I fail to see how we ever find a way forward on contentious issues by talking only with people we 100% agree with. A podcast is a discussion maybe having more discussions would benefit us all.

As a disclaimer I agree with almost zero Busse has to say.

OP
B
Hearing him talk likely isn't changing your position on hunting, but could possibly give you some insight into why he supports the position he does, which could be valuable when encountering those with a similar view in the future.

To summarize what harm does it do to expose this opinion to the core group of subscribers to the podcast, who by your own omission are hunters?

I’d encourage you to go look at this guys twitter.

This isn’t the guy who “just has a different perspective” he’s a guy who literally despises pro gun people and anyone with a right leaning opinion. Most of us fall into that category.

I have no problem discussing guns or anything else with someone who respectfully disagrees. I don’t think Ryan Busse falls into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.