What's your favorite caliber?

Favorite caliber?

• Total voters

35remy

FNG
.35 Remington in the Arkansas bottoms is hard to beat for me. 6.5 CM with a possible distance shot has worked well. 45-70 with a 300gr JHP is my backup gun regardless. If I had to shoot larger critters my ‘06 would be my go to.

I have always been a 270 fan but recently I have picked up a 7 mag, 280 Rem, and 7mm-08. Love the 7mm's.

Val

FNG
270 WSM Nosler accubond, Berger hunting VLD, or terminal ascent.
6mm CM too with SGK, ELD-X, or accubonds. No kick and tack driver

TheGDog

WKR
.308 Win with 168gr VOR-TX Barnes TTSX is a bit much for Deer. Works great but like 6" circle of bloodshot around entry wound.

.30-30 - works great, hardly any bloodshot waste.

Gonna try .223 Rem 62gr Barnes TSX this year. I think.
Due to the horrible climbing to get to the area I'm trying to focus on this year, and trying to get my son on his first deer with me... I bought him the Howa SuperLite in 6.5cm that's 4Lbs 7oz.

That light weight is nice! Very light and seems to be accurate.

I say seems to be, because there was some varying crosswinds the day I went to sight it in for him, and I don't have any kind of benchrest vise-type dealio. And the crosshair lines on the Burris FullField I put on it for him were a touch thicker than what you'd want for benchrest shooting. But even so you could tell it'd shoot better than I can. Precision-wise, I mean.

I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil! Thinking I just might pickup one of them for myself!

Stroudwf

FNG
I love my .308. Always ammo in stores for it, groups well. And is effective up to elk size game. Everything I want and need, nothing fancy

nmarchr

FNG
I have been using the 6.5 creedmoor with 143 grain eld-x over the last 6 years or so. Im a fan!

jsb04

FNG
25-06 with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tips seems to work well for me. Although most of my shots are 150 yards or less.

Owlman

FNG
.35 Remington, closely followed by .308
I wish you could find .35 Remington more in the stores but I understand why its not easy to find these days.

The Guide

WKR
The 2 guns I have killed the most whitetail with and are my favorite ones to hunt them with are the 243 Win and the 300WM. The 243 is M70 Featherweight and is a dream to carry in the brush. I've taken deer from 20 yards to 300 yards with it. The 300WM is another M70 which has been customized over the years and now the only stock part on it is the bolt and the action. I've taken whitetail from 30 feet to over 500 yards with that gun. I have a 12 gauge over a 308 combo gun that is my favorite gun to carry in the river bottoms while busting brush. You can take fur or feather with that thing. Once we were pushing an island on river and I had a doe jump up and run out to 75 yard and pause so I took her with the 308 barrel. At the report, another doe jumped up and ran past me and stopped at 40 yards. After shooting the first doe, I'd opened the action and was pulling the 308 round out and was fishing in my pocket for another when the second doe jumped out of her bed. I slammed the action closed again and pulled the 2nd trigger on the 12 gauge barrel. I watched the wad hit her in the head as the load of #3 steel shot hit her brain. She dropped faster than the first one and I had both of my doe tags filled.

Whitetails are delicious!

Jay

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
The Guide , Wow you been following me around? Lol
I’ve got a pre 64 model 70 243 I’ve killed a pile of deer with. 30-06 and 300 win are my other 2 favorites. What caught my eye was your over under ! I carry a savage 24 over under for my do all gun all the time in the woods. It’s a 222 on top and 20 gauge mag on bottom. I’ve got a vortex illuminated 1x8 on it. Run on 1 for shotgun and dial it up for the rifle. Anyway couldn’t help but comment.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I love my 45-70 guide gun for everything out to 150 yards. I have two excellent loads - a 405 grain WFNGC with an alloy at about 18 BHN, using AA 5744 to about 1450 fps. I also have a 425 WFNGC with I 4198 at a much stiffer 1700 fps. Starline brass and CCI LR primers. Gotten older so use the former now, though I plan to go with the latter for western timber hunts I hope to be able to make with my son. Fits my love of levers and the quick shouldering in our northwoods.

The Guide

WKR
I’ve got a pre 64 model 70 243 I’ve killed a pile of deer with. 30-06 and 300 win are my other 2 favorites. What caught my eye was your over under ! I carry a savage 24 over under for my do all gun all the time in the woods. It’s a 222 on top and 20 gauge mag on bottom. I’ve got a vortex illuminated 1x8 on it. Run on 1 for shotgun and dial it up for the rifle. Anyway couldn’t help but comment.
My over under is an odd Russian made gun that was imported for a short time. I enjoy the novelty of it plus it is a good brush hunting gun when you don't know if you will be shooting a pheasant, a duck, or a buck. I run it open sights.

Jay

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome The Guide.
Something really special about carrying a gun that can shoot shotgun and rifle.

I like the classic 270 win with 130 gr accubonds or ballistic tips at around 3100 fps.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Don't know why they don't re-release those 42 over-unders with updated more modern era cartridge selections like .223 Rem and 20ga. That would be a very useful combo.

Now they're only offering it in 22Lr or 22WMR on top and .410 on bottom.