What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

wyosam

WKR
Because a lot of people are like my uncle who believes that the Nosler Partition is the pinnacle of bullet construction and that Roy Weatherby is the best thing that happened to firearms since John Browning.

He is happy in his ignorance and hasn't had that combination fail him when shooting whitetails, mule deer, black bears, and elk at less than 300 yards.

And likely won’t. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilgrim7

FNG
A good case can be made that it is the pinnacle of hunting bullet performance.
By what metric?. They take more bullet weight and recoil to do the same job an easier shooting round can do.

I only have personal experience with the 180 gn partitions. They worked well, but I have seen better performance out of smaller rounds. I have no reason to lug around a heavier, longer barreled, harder kicking gun when I can shoot smaller bullets that do more damage.

JGRaider

WKR
Most big game animals are killed at 300 yds or less. The partition is designed to shed some of it's front core, while the rear core retains weight and penetrates exceptionally well, often exiting. Other bullet makers have been trying to copy the performance since the 1960's for good reason. Reason with that.

By what metric?. They take more bullet weight and recoil to do the same job an easier shooting round can do.

I only have personal experience with the 180 gn partitions. They worked well, but I have seen better performance out of smaller rounds. I have no reason to lug around a heavier, longer barreled, harder kicking gun when I can shoot smaller bullets that do more damage.
Can't a Nosler Partition be fired from an easier shooting setup?
I have experience with 130 and 150 grain in 270 (just out to 260 yards on mountain goat and deer), and they were great. But I don't know why the 140 grain wouldn't be great in the 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 100 grain in 6mm, etc at conventional hunting ranges.

pilgrim7

FNG
I have experience with 130 and 150 grain in 270 (just out to 260 yards on mountain goat and deer), and they were great. But I don't know why the 140 grain wouldn't be great in the 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 100 grain in 6mm, etc at conventional hunting ranges.
Oh absolutely they could. I'm sure many on here have used them. I just don't think they'll do as well as a bullet that expands more rapidly on the smaller end.

I guess I was kind of arguing 2 points made in the post about 300 WM and partitions. That's the combo I used to use. I never had a problem, but I don't like it as much as I do lighter, smaller set ups.

pilgrim7

FNG
Most big game animals are killed at 300 yds or less. The partition is designed to shed some of it's front core, while the rear core retains weight and penetrates exceptionally well, often exiting. Other bullet makers have been trying to copy the performance since the 1960's for good reason. Reason with that.
Nobody is saying that Nosler Partitions don't work. We're saying they're not the only thing that works. You are tilting at windmills here.

Yes they make them all the way down to the coveted .22 caliber so loved here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JGRaider

WKR
Nobody is saying that Nosler Partitions don't work. We're saying they're not the only thing that works. You are tilting at windmills here.
I never said anything remotely close to partitions are the only thing that works. 140's in the 7-08 and 125's in the CM are superb however.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Your arguments are a little too weak maybe?
Please, just stop. This isn’t a thread you’re welcome to cloud with vitriol. If you have to tell someone that you don’t care, and then spend 3 pages just slinging “opinion” I think you’ve demonstrated quite the opposite. It is not an issue agree or disagree with a certain group, or countering group think, it’s the consistent and constant choice to not be respectful and articulate your points in any other approach besides what you’re doing here. I can’t really tell what you’re arguing for here, honestly, or how it relates to the original topic. I’m not saying you have to agree is disagree with @Formidilosus but following him around the internet to try and get a jab in is getting quite old.

JGRaider

WKR
Please, just stop. This isn’t a thread you’re welcome to cloud with vitriol. If you have to tell someone that you don’t care, and then spend 3 pages just slinging “opinion” I think you’ve demonstrated quite the opposite. It is not an issue agree or disagree with a certain group, or countering group think, it’s the consistent and constant choice to not be respectful and articulate your points in any other approach besides what you’re doing here. I can’t really tell what you’re arguing for here, honestly, or how it relates to the original topic. I’m not saying you have to agree is disagree with @Formidilosus but following him around the internet to try and get a jab in is getting quite old.
I was kidding. You people take this stuff way to seriously. I don't need to follow Form or anyone else around, anywhere.

eric1115

WKR
I was kidding. You people take this stuff way to seriously. I don't need to follow Form or anyone else around, anywhere.

I think part of where we're all coming from is that the in-kind kidding-but-not-really response would be, "well maybe you're just not smart enough to understand the arguments" and this place devolves into a 24HCF style cesspool.

Rokslide has a different style/feel/vibe or whatever the cool kids call it these days vs most of the other forums, and I like that. I'll stop engaging, and start ignoring. It's one of the hardest things for me to do. My hope in the past was that the right argument might get a good-faith response from you, but I've never seen you engage a topic honestly trying to find common ground or find the truth of the matter.

I had been under the impression that you believe your position so strongly that you are willing to engage in mildly bad-faith debate tactics to convince others of it, but I think I finally see that you don't actually care whether you're right or not, but are just having fun throwing out bad arguments to get a rise out of people. It sticks out like a sore thumb, because most people on here don't do that (with a few notable exceptions).

Adios JGRaider.

Ps, this is genuinely meant to try to help. I'm terrible at self-diagnosing when I'm being an asshole, and have had some times of significant personal growth when someone has been direct and specific about it with me. I don't expect a stranger on the Internet is likely to help bridge the difference between how you see yourself and how others perceive your actions, but it's worth a try.

AkRyan

WKR
Where is this arbitrary number coming from? I’ve seen elk double-lunged with a 300win make it very far distances.
They are bears, they have thick fur and layers of fat that tend to stop blood very fast and we are talking about shooting them with a small bullet. Not sure how many bears your gone into the brush to find but doing so and not knowing if the bear is dead isn't very fun.

AkRyan

WKR
Well, your previous cut-off for success was a sub 200 yard run. Now you've apparently halved that.

No worries though. The black bear bolted maybe 40 yards and started tumbling down the mountain. The grizzly ran about 80 yards...ran -exactly as far- and died in -exactly- the same spot as a grizzly shot the previous year...with a 338WM, broadside through the lungs.

I've shot a boatload of bears with 308 and 30-06. So far, I've seen zero difference in runs or time to death using the 77TMK.
Great info!

RussDXT

WKR
e26b03689e3d8c86d742be2a5e261cc8.jpg

Pic is a joke, I agree with going small in caliber.

JGRaider

WKR
I think part of where we're all coming from is that the in-kind kidding-but-not-really response would be, "well maybe you're just not smart enough to understand the arguments" and this place devolves into a 24HCF style cesspool.

Rokslide has a different style/feel/vibe or whatever the cool kids call it these days vs most of the other forums, and I like that. I'll stop engaging, and start ignoring. It's one of the hardest things for me to do. My hope in the past was that the right argument might get a good-faith response from you, but I've never seen you engage a topic honestly trying to find common ground or find the truth of the matter.

I had been under the impression that you believe your position so strongly that you are willing to engage in mildly bad-faith debate tactics to convince others of it, but I think I finally see that you don't actually care whether you're right or not, but are just having fun throwing out bad arguments to get a rise out of people. It sticks out like a sore thumb, because most people on here don't do that (with a few notable exceptions).

Adios JGRaider.

Ps, this is genuinely meant to try to help. I'm terrible at self-diagnosing when I'm being an asshole, and have had some times of significant personal growth when someone has been direct and specific about it with me. I don't expect a stranger on the Internet is likely to help bridge the difference between how you see yourself and how others perceive your actions, but it's worth a try.
I really mean no offense, but you're not real perceptive if you honestly believe that.

atmat

WKR
They are bears, they have thick fur and layers of fat that tend to stop blood very fast and we are talking about shooting them with a small bullet. Not sure how many bears your gone into the brush to find but doing so and not knowing if the bear is dead isn't very fun.
And so you’ve arbitrarily chosen 100 yards as your cutoff? They can’t run into brush within 100 yards?

My point is this: without a CNS hit, there is no guarantee anything dies within 100 yards regardless of centerfire cartridge.