What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have explained this before to you, I will try again in the chance that you are not trolling as normal.

The tips deform over time in flight (distance) due to friction. The deformation causes a reduction in BC versus what it should be. That is, the BC variation is much higher from near to far than it should be. The AMAX’s were developed before legitimate BC testing was done, and only when it was shot over Doppler radar was it seen why.
It doesn’t mean that AMAX’s suck, or were/are bad- just that they have higher drag at longer ranges than the exact same bullet with a different tip material. So do other bullets from other makers. Most that use Doppler radar know about it.

It was an inline improvement with an explanation of why- not some ridiculous conspiracy that you say it is.
Friction between the air and the tip or the barrel and the jacket? Or do they know?

eric1115

WKR

WKR: That truck is red.
JG: nope, not even close.
WKR: why do you think that?
JG: Red is just a name for a certain wavelength of light.
WKR: but why do you think that truck isn't red?
JG: is an SUV even a truck?
WKR: ok, that SUV is red.
JG: How much yellow can there be before it's not red anymore?
WKR: pretty sure that's more red than orange.
JG: I never said it was orange.
WKR: ok so why don't you think it's red?
JG: you wouldn't know a red truck if it ran through your yard and crashed into your living room.
WKR: never mind.
JG: another flawless victory.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
WKR: That truck is red.
JG: nope, not even close.
WKR: why do you think that?
JG: Red is just a name for a certain wavelength of light.
WKR: but why do you think that truck isn't red?
JG: is an SUV even a truck?
WKR: ok, that SUV is red.
JG: How much yellow can there be before it's not red anymore?
WKR: pretty sure that's more red than orange.
JG: I never said it was orange.
WKR: ok so why don't you think it's red?
JG: you wouldn't know a red truck if it ran through your yard and crashed into your living room.
WKR: never mind.
JG: another flawless victory.

I know its monday but I will make the bold statement that this wins the internet this week.

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
I dropped down to 6.5 creedmoor about 10 years ago and tried out a pile of bullets on deer. I found out quick that some bullets do not perform well. Some work ok and some work good. After about 20 deer and antelope got killed with the creedmoor I went back to larger caliber rifles. I've found that I do a lot less tracking shooting larger caliber match bullets.

Bullets matter more in smaller caliber rifles and a big gun is not for everyone. I also don't think most hunters will test out different bullets to see what one performs better.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I dropped down to 6.5 creedmoor about 10 years ago and tried out a pile of bullets on deer. I found out quick that some bullets do not perform well. Some work ok and some work good. After about 20 deer and antelope got killed with the creedmoor I went back to larger caliber rifles. I've found that I do a lot less tracking shooting larger caliber match bullets.

Bullets matter more in smaller caliber rifles and a big gun is not for everyone. I also don't think most hunters will test out different bullets to see what one performs better.
What bullets did you find do not perform well in 6.5mm? Just curious, sounds like you have some good experience with them.

Oh absolutely they could. I'm sure many on here have used them. I just don't think they'll do as well as a bullet that expands more rapidly on the smaller end.

I guess I was kind of arguing 2 points made in the post about 300 WM and partitions. That's the combo I used to use. I never had a problem, but I don't like it as much as I do lighter, smaller set ups.

I agree with you. My first "custom" rifle was a 22-250 1-8" tw I had made 20 years ago. Since that time I have shot a lot of deer using a 223/223ai and 22-250/22-250ai with 50vmax, 53tsx, 60vmax, 60partitions, 62tsx, 64powerpoints, 75scirocco, 75amax, 77tmk, and 88eldm's.

I probably shot 8 or 9 with the 60 partition. Some exited, caught a few on the offside. the 60np kills with no problem, but the 75amax 77tmk 88elds kill much faster and lead to much shorter runs for me. My most experience is with the 75amax and I still really like that bullet.

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
What bullets did you find do not perform well in 6.5mm? Just curious, sounds like you have some good experience with them.
The 127 barnes animals would run along way and had poor long range accuracy. The 140 vld flew great and perform at short range but I had them pencil through a antelope at 580 yards. I had inconsistant accuracy with the 129 lrab so I never hunted with it. The 140 nosler bt performed good and accuracy was decent. The 143 eldx performed good and the 140 eldm performed good. I liked the 140 eldm the best. We shot 6 whitetails last year with the 140 eldm and they all performed good.