UTVs, side by sides, etc

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to add a UTV to the stable this year to help with running the forest service roads. Last year the truck worked fairly well except for blowing out tires 2 different times and losing a couples days going back and forth to town. I ended up putting a whole new set on when the second tire went.

After looking around on here I couldn’t find too many discussions on them. I may just be in the wrong place.

I’ve been focused on Kawasaki mules from some personal experience but mostly just bc that’s all I’ve had experience with.

What are everyone’s opinions on the mules? Thoughts on other UTVs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two Polaris ranger crew cabs, a 2017 with 3,000 miles and a 2014 with 15,000 miles. Very few problems with either other than replacing tires. We did replace a driveshaft and the rack-and-pinion on the older one but that was related to the mileage more so than any quality issues on the rack and the driveshaft was defective and randomly broke. The factory tires on all UTV’s and ATV’s are junk.

I went with Polaris because of the payload capacity and because they are a little more sporty and off-road capable than some competitors. The only other brand I have substantial experience with is Kubota. I would recommend them for work around a farm or ranch but not for anything off-road.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2017 Mule Pro FXT w/EPS. It's great, definitely earns the name Mule; it's slow and steady but she works. A lot louder than I would like but performance wise i'm very satisfied. Plowed through some pretty deep snow this October, having the locker was nice be we added a winch just to be safe.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, Honda gets my vote (and my money) on this one if your looking for an all purpose machine. You might consider looking at the Pioneer 1000. Do your research on Hondas DCT vs the CVT that is found on most other SXS (Polaris, Canam, etc). Also, if you have a family or friends that like to jump in on occasion, look at the Pioneer 1000-5. As far as the belt driven machines (cvt) the Yamaha Wolverine has a really good reputation.

TravKatQ

WKR
Looking to add a UTV to the stable this year to help with running the forest service roads. Last year the truck worked fairly well except for blowing out tires 2 different times and losing a couples days going back and forth to town. I ended up putting a whole new set on when the second tire went.

After looking around on here I couldn’t find too many discussions on them. I may just be in the wrong place.

I’ve been focused on Kawasaki mules from some personal experience but mostly just bc that’s all I’ve had experience with.

What are everyone’s opinions on the mules? Thoughts on other UTVs?

I just purchased a Honda pioneer 1000-5 last year and I love it. Everyone I’ve talked to here locally that has them loves them and are hard working machines. A buddy has the new Kawasaki mule and as it’s nice the thing is a boat compared to my Honda. His is the 6 seater and though it has more room it’s like driving a small pickup around. Another plus for the Honda is that it’s considerably quieter! The quietest on the market actually, another reason I bought it. If you have any more questions feel free to hit me up but my vote for best out there as a huntin rig is Honda pioneer!

tttoadman

WKR
All I ask is leave it stock or even better put a secondary exhaust on it. Nothing like a fart pipe on an ATV or side by side to clear all the elk of a basin for 2 miles. It is amazing how these things resonate compared to the sound of a truck. I just bought a skinnier pickup last year. I still cut a few tires down. I will hold out on the UTV as long as possible. they are quite the investment. I looked at a few last year. There is definitely differences in the workmanship and creativity for storage between manufacturers. I ruled out a few by simply rattling the seat belt mounts and other movable items. Its like these people never imagined this vehicle driving down a washboard road in the woods.

I have an '18 honda Pioneer 1000-5. Been a great machine so far. I have done quite a few smaller mods to it to make it what I want it to be. I am keeping 99% of the drivetrain stock so I avoid breaking stuff like so many mod'd out UTV's do.

come2elmo

WKR
Take a look at the can am defenders. They seem to handle well and weren’t as loud and didn’t vibrate as much as the Polaris rangers. If I were to buy one strictly for the mountains I would probably go the Kawasaki mule route. Similar noise and handling of can am but some models seem to be on a tad bit smaller chassis

jmez

WKR
What are your priorities for the machine? Room, sportiness, work and play, mainly work etc

OP
S

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
What are your priorities for the machine? Room, sportiness, work and play, mainly work etc

All hunting. Mostly 2 people but I’d rather not be limited to 2 people. Just something reliable that will get me places easier than my 2500.

Car7x

WKR
I just bought a new '17 Honda pioneer 500. 50" trail legal. Need it to stage back away from the pickup guys, specifically at my Ennis MT place in the Gravellys.

Put a golf seat ($200 sale deal!!) on the back, only mod I had time for with the MN cold snap. My plow winch on the 4Runner goes out once in awhile, glad I had the plow package. I need the seat- the bottom cushion flips over to be a gear deck - to haul the whole party of 4 back to where we hump in.

I see very little UTV action during archery, which will be my main objective.

A cheap mod for noise will be a long length of flex pipe fit to the exhaust exit, and routed smart alongside the rear seat foot rest frames. My handy buddy tells me you can really hush em up that way.

I'm 65, an active conservation and lifelong climber/skier fair chase hunter. I have absolutely no problem with ethical legal use and hopefully this will help me pass along the bug to my young buddies, and enjoy some more remote country side.

I'll try to show a pic of the golf cart seat. It's made for Yamaha carts, 4 bolt mod with a couple drilled holes. It was so easy my buddy had it done before I could get over to his warm shop! Happy trails -

Wrench

WKR
I've got a 1999 mule that's still going. It's not fast and the suspension sucks, but it's got the hydraulic bed and will dump a full load of dirt and hauls two whole elk at a time. In its life it's hauled over 50 dead elk.

I'm looking to upgrade now and will likely go to a yamaha rhino just because it is the right size and mix for what we encounter during our use.

Car7x

WKR
Yamaha golf cart seat for 4up/gear
834e29af8476858289026d32933c4099.jpg
27a6a722d3cbdeaa563ea5fd397bc877.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input.

What about common problems for any of these? Stories of things going wrong?

OP
S

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input.

What about common problems for any of these? Stories of things going wrong?

Honda is the most reliable ATV out there, hands down...don't have a side by side, but our mid- 90s four wheelers still go like tanks. Very common to see Big Red 3- wheelers from the 80s running around here every day in the summer....

LaHunter

WKR
I have a Polaris Ranger 900XP. I primarily only use it in WY on the FS roads. In my observations, where I hunt in WY, I see at least 2X more Polaris machines (Rangers & Razors) vs pretty much any other brand.
The Polaris suspension is amazing while riding on the FS roads. Also, the ability to enclose the cab on the Polaris Ranger is a significant plus in my opinion, especially when its snowing and howling wind. I've never had a single issue with the belt slipping on my machine during use. Only time the belt has ever slipped on mine is after I wash it, and its no big deal to dry it out, takes about 5-10 minutes of letting it idle.

In my observations, where I hunt in WY, I see at least 2X more Polaris machines (Rangers & Razors) vs pretty much any other brand.

I would say in Alaska it's even more than that. UTV's are extremely common here for both hunting and access remote cabin properties. A few informal counts of done in Sept show Polaris outnumbering all other UTV's combined.

I personally use a couple midsize Ranger 570's. One personal rig, and one for a job at work. They aren't perfect, but they hit a sweet spot on value and function for most people. n For real off-road or heavy hauler use, the mid-size ones need a few modifications (HD rear springs, stiffer tires). The 900XP's are pretty much ready to go as-is for most people. Any Polaris has massive aftermarket support and a huge range of factory add-ons which is one of the big draws. Current generations are designed to easily integrate all the popular mods (cabs, snowplows, chainsaw rack, etc) without looking like a cheesy afterthought.

Other than Rangers, the only other one I seriously considered was Honda. Even the current generation ones have drawbacks though. Notably for me is the a lack of high/low range in the 500 and 700. May not be an issue for most people, but I need a crawl gear.

The only other thing I would add is that power steering is completely worth it for rough trail use. If its mostly FS roads, then not a big deal.

jmez

WKR
Id say Kawasaki Mule Fxt pro. Has a huge bed that folds in to give you a second row of seats. Even with the bed folded in there is plenty of room in the bed for gear. It comes with a three year bumper to bumper warranty compared to 90 days for all the others. Cheaper than the other comparable machines. Great hunting rig.

All you will gain with a Polaris, Honda, can Am etc is speed and quickness. I've owned 2 rangers. Neighbors have Honda and Can Am. Both really nice machines. No where near the room the mule has. Mule has s governor and cuts out at 47mph and it won't spin the tires all the way down the trail. If that doesn't interest you then it's a pretty tough machine to beat for a straight hunting rig.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

eoperator

WKR
I've been considering buying a Japanese mini van 54-56" wide, extremely quiet, very affordable if you are mechanically inclined. My neighbor has a mini truck with hydraulic dump bed that he has ran the shit out of, it just keeps going. might not be as off road capable as a ranger but I sure like the idea of being "unique"😀