UTVs, side by sides, etc

N2TRKYS

WKR
I volunteer as a paramedic for a hunt for terminally ill kids, handicapped, and wounded soldiers. The place I go uses Polaris Rangers of all sizes. Most of them are the 4 seater variety. They pull trailers behind them big enough for the hunter’s tracked wheelchairs. Granted this is bottomland, muddy terrain, but they seem to have good luck with them.
Good luck with what you decide and post a pic when you get it, if you don’t mind.

I would say in Alaska it's even more than that. UTV's are extremely common here for both hunting and access remote cabin properties. A few informal counts of done in Sept show Polaris outnumbering all other UTV's combined.

I personally use a couple midsize Ranger 570's. One personal rig, and one for a job at work. They aren't perfect, but they hit a sweet spot on value and function for most people. n For real off-road or heavy hauler use, the mid-size ones need a few modifications (HD rear springs, stiffer tires). The 900XP's are pretty much ready to go as-is for most people. Any Polaris has massive aftermarket support and a huge range of factory add-ons which is one of the big draws. Current generations are designed to easily integrate all the popular mods (cabs, snowplows, chainsaw rack, etc) without looking like a cheesy afterthought.

Other than Rangers, the only other one I seriously considered was Honda. Even the current generation ones have drawbacks though. Notably for me is the a lack of high/low range in the 500 and 700. May not be an issue for most people, but I need a crawl gear.

The only other thing I would add is that power steering is completely worth it for rough trail use. If its mostly FS roads, then not a big deal.

This is spot on information. The Polaris support for parts and accessories is what pulled me.

I was in the market for a 570 but ended up buying the 900. Motor was quiet and yes the power difference. I’ve bought mine to help pull deer out of places I hunt in Kansas and it will live at the lake in the summers for me it’s great! No issues yet. Just fluid changed and gas!

Plan to add front and back glass and possibly door for the winter!

I also have a 2500 and this gets you a little farther before your on foot!

Test drive them and one will talk to you. Also prices can be significantly different per dealers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Polaris general 4 seater, i feel that Polaris did a good job merging sport and utility with the General. Lots of cab space and a good size dump bed for gear. Our General is tricked out but is also our other “hobby” next to hunting.

My recommendations would be regardless of what brand and machine you go with i would enclose your machine with hard doors, soft windows, front/rear windshields, and possibly a heater. The cold breeze will take it right out of you and you won’t have to bulk up with unnecessary gear just to shed it when you get to where you want to hike. Good luck in your search!
196e6f87dcb418f1ec6a6f26238f8bc6.jpg

I had a Ranger XP 900 but hated the AWD system so I sold it. I am looking hard at the Mule Pro FXT. Looks like it checks alot of the boxes. They get rave reviews on the forums from others. May be worth a look. Plus they come with a 3 year warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
They are a good machine. I really like mine. It's taken me everywhere I've wanted to go in the Black Hills and Bighorns.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
They are a good machine. I really like mine. It's taken me everywhere I've wanted to go in the Black Hills and Bighorns.

Which one are you referring to?

KurtR

WKR
Seems people drive utvs around town here more than cars and ice fishing it’s all most use. Polaris by a big margin then Honda and Honda is the only dealership in town. Had a mule for work it ran but if buying the Polaris and Honda get my money way before the mule.

KJH

WKR
I've had Polaris Rangers (fullsize) and ZERO problems with them. Very reliable... I'm getting a Honda Pioneer 5 this year solely because it has the convertible seats so you can haul gear or people. I don't have anything to say about the other brands, but Polaris has been good to me. The only thing I wouldn't buy again is the Polaris additional warranty... never needed it and I would be money ahead without it.

2five7

WKR
Myself, and pretty much all the other guys that I guide with all run Polaris Rangers. Never had a belt issue or motor issue. The 1000 has plenty of giddy up, they are actually pretty fun to drive!

On our cattle ranch we have had 5 Polaris rangers since they came out. IMO nothing better. Payload is awesome. It will pull a trailer load of alfalfa squares in a pinch. In 4x4 low it will climb a wall. Friends have had others and to each his own but when they see what the ranger can do and it’s speed when needed on the road they usually get a ranger,if they trade. Best of luck with your decision.

fatbacks

WKR
I shopped around quite a bit. Thought I was going with the Honda but when I priced out everything I wanted to add on the Polaris 900 XP came in over $10k cheaper. I didn’t skimp on mine and got everything I wanted. Fully enclosed cab, fully hydraulic plow system, 6k winch, cab heater, mud tires etc. The aftermarket and parts support for the ranger seems 10x better.

It fits 3 dudes ok, but works great with my wife and two small boys.

Anyhow, been super impressed and glad I went the route I did. The only thing I plan on doing to it is a hilifter 2” lift kit. They are only about $200.

07004b06db9fcbbfa11d657f47d4da9f.jpg

isu22andy

WKR
Polaris 900 XP with power steering has been the best side by side ive driven so far. Seems like theres is a pile of them out there. I am more of an ATV fan my self. You get a side by side stuck you have about zero chance of getting it out by yourself unless you have a winch. An ATV you can man handle around more, squeeze in places , throw in the back of your truck and roll. If you buy a UTV you might as well price a trailer as well.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Kawasaki Teryx 2 seat with a 750 engine. There are more choices today than when I bought mine. I know there are bigger, faster machines now and have more safety devices. Probably better but I haven't had any problems or a need for anything better or faster. I looked at all major brands when I bought mine. It is really a basic machine but I really like it. Got it for a great price when Cabelas was Cabelas and they were a dealer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Id say Kawasaki Mule Fxt pro. Has a huge bed that folds in to give you a second row of seats. Even with the bed folded in there is plenty of room in the bed for gear. It comes with a three year bumper to bumper warranty compared to 90 days for all the others. Cheaper than the other comparable machines. Great hunting rig.

All you will gain with a Polaris, Honda, can Am etc is speed and quickness. I've owned 2 rangers. Neighbors have Honda and Can Am. Both really nice machines. No where near the room the mule has. Mule has s governor and cuts out at 47mph and it won't spin the tires all the way down the trail. If that doesn't interest you then it's a pretty tough machine to beat for a straight hunting rig.

With the Honda you get a shaft drive, not a belt. There's a pretty significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Does an atv/utv really help that much in the mountains? I drive a one ton, dually, 4x4. I figure that can get me wherever I need to go. But I don’t mind hiking either. How many miles will a side by side shave off my hikes?

elkguide

WKR
I have a Honda Pioneer. Love having an actual transmission and being able to carry on a conversation while driving. I have a snow plow on mine and just last week I spent more than 8 hours chasing snowflakes. Definitely more Polaris machines around but they've been out there for 20 years. My son just put a new motor in his Ranger and is trying to sell it so he can buy a Honda.

Get out there and drive them. We all have our preferences just like the GMC vs: Ford vs: Dodge discussion.

(Of course EVERYONE knows how much better GMC is!!!!)

jmez

WKR
Does an atv/utv really help that much in the mountains? I drive a one ton, dually, 4x4. I figure that can get me wherever I need to go. But I don’t mind hiking either. How many miles will a side by side shave off my hikes?
A 1 ton dually will be pretty much useless on a good portion of mountain roads. If you do get down some of them without tearing the oil pan off you will be going so slow it would be quicker to walk.