Side by Sides (Pioneer vs Mule)

I’m not on Facebook but I’ll do some looking. Is it still an issue without a windshield? Haven’t picked one up yet
It's not as bad without a windshield. I generally run a half shield in the summer on my 1k5 and the dust is pretty obnoxious.

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 5 seater with a full cab, so I can't speak on the mule, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. Not having a belt is huge. I didn't want to trailer it all over the place. I simply hop in and go 15-20 minutes into the woods from my house. With the power steering I can cruise down the highway at 65 mph and it handles like a regular vehicle. I have been putting it through some paces on some nasty terrain as well. I have been impressed with how it handles in deep mud and water, as well as steep/rocky terrain.

I paid a bit more as it had several upgrades from the standard models, but I don't regret the purchase one bit.

packer58

WKR
I’m not on Facebook but I’ll do some looking. Is it still an issue without a windshield? Haven’t picked one up yet
Congrats on a sweet machine, can't go wrong with Honda. I really like my 21 PK3, as far as information goes regarding anything Honda SXS, register on the Honda SXS club ....... lots of very good information and knowledgeable members ..

Decisions were made. Looking forward to playing around with it.

View attachment 565249
View attachment 565250

I wanted the 6 seater but my budget limited me to the pioneer 700-4. You have a sweet ride!

Here is mine…
4f66431983a957afe97d7e7707e13721.jpg

01e3069cda913efe5cae7539ef1e6c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I wanted the 6 seater but my budget limited me to the pioneer 700-4. You have a sweet ride!

Here is mine…
4f66431983a957afe97d7e7707e13721.jpg

01e3069cda913efe5cae7539ef1e6c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely did not enjoy paying the tab, but been very happy with the machine so far and the kids are enjoying it as well

Last edited:

GoatPackr

WKR
We (family of 5) test drove the Pioneer 1000-6 yesterday. I was extremely impressed. They have made some pretty nice upgrades. That steering is so effortless and the motor is as quiet or better than my Honda Rubicon. The ride was good.
At 6'-5" I was pretty concerned with back seat comfort. It was like riding my crew cab truck!!
Hopefully I'll get boat sold soon and be picking one up by end of the summer.
We want it for farm work and being able to cruise to town or up around in the mountains. Not really into ripping around in the dunes.

Kris

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I would look at something like a Kei Truck over a side by side. They are generally 4x4, can come equipped with a dump bed, easy to work on, and far cheaper than a side by side. They routinely come in under $5k.

GoatPackr

WKR
Personally, I would look at something like a Kei Truck over a side by side. They are generally 4x4, can come equipped with a dump bed, easy to work on, and far cheaper than a side by side. They routinely come in under $5k.
I'm looking at those also but I just can't figure out how to get the entire family into it and survive a long day cruising in the mountains.
I think they are a great option for farm use especially with the dump bed. 😉

Kris

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
We (family of 5) test drove the Pioneer 1000-6 yesterday. I was extremely impressed. They have made some pretty nice upgrades. That steering is so effortless and the motor is as quiet or better than my Honda Rubicon. The ride was good.
At 6'-5" I was pretty concerned with back seat comfort. It was like riding my crew cab truck!!
We want it for farm work and being able to cruise to town or up around in the mountains. Not really into ripping around in the dunes.

Kris
Really like ours so far. Rides great and the leg room in the front and back seat is huge. I’d been in a few rzr’s and rangers previously and always felt cramped

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 5 seater with a full cab, so I can't speak on the mule, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. Not having a belt is huge. I didn't want to trailer it all over the place. I simply hop in and go 15-20 minutes into the woods from my house. With the power steering I can cruise down the highway at 65 mph and it handles like a regular vehicle. I have been putting it through some paces on some nasty terrain as well. I have been impressed with how it handles in deep mud and water, as well as steep/rocky terrain.

I paid a bit more as it had several upgrades from the standard models, but I don't regret the purchase one bit.
I am looking at buying the same. Did you get a roof and windshield with yours, I wasn’t sure if they were stock? What upgrades did you get if any, if you did get any upgrades which ones did you get? Are you happy with it so far? If you had to do it all over again would you buy the exact same model? How much was your rig out the door? $20 grand? Any help or advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking at the Can -am Defender, I am not sure what their warranty is against Honda’s?

btw, I own a brand new 2023 Honda Ridgeline black edition and love it so far 😊

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider

Kris
I am looking into buying the same except I am looking at the 5 seater. Did you end up buying it yet? If so would you change anything? How happy are you with it so far? Thanks

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I am looking at buying the same. Did you get a roof and windshield with yours, I wasn’t sure if they were stock? What upgrades did you get if any, if you did get any upgrades which ones did you get? Are you happy with it so far? If you had to do it all over again would you buy the exact same model? How much was your rig out the door? $20 grand? Any help or advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking at the Can -am Defender, I am not sure what their warranty is against Honda’s?

btw, I own a brand new 2023 Honda Ridgeline black edition and love it so far 😊
Yes, I have the roof, windshield, heat, winch, bumper, after market tires and rims, metal tailgate bar, and added a sound bar on the inside, rearview mirror, spare fuel tank, and had to add a rear license plate light to make it completely street legal in our state. I also bought an additional spare tire, which I'm glad I did because I had to change it already from a rock piercing the wheel.

Mine had a lot of upgrades and after market stuff added, so it ran me around 33-35K.

The full hard cab enclosure with installation is the most expensive part. I would definitely recommend spending the extra coin and getting a side by side with a full hard cab and heat. It's a life saver when you are deep in the woods and a storm decides to hit, plus if you live in an area where it get's in the 10's, 20's, 30's, etc...the heat is a must have in my opinion.

Also, If you plan to go through a Honda Dealer...I would suggest getting the platinum plan. All of the services are paid for (they need serviced every 600 miles, so if you plan to put some miles on it....it's worth the extra cost per month). They also prioritize you. Faster service, 2 day turn around, and not having to wait weeks for a service. I live in a town where a lot of people have side by sides, so being able to get it in and back with hardly any wait is a plus.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have the roof, windshield, heat, winch, bumper, after market tires and rims, metal tailgate bar, and added a sound bar on the inside, rearview mirror, spare fuel tank, and had to add a rear license plate light to make it completely street legal in our state. I also bought an additional spare tire, which I'm glad I did because I had to change it already from a rock piercing the wheel.

Mine had a lot of upgrades and after market stuff added, so it ran me around 33-35K.

The full hard cab enclosure with installation is the most expensive part. I would definitely recommend spending the extra coin and getting a side by side with a full hard cab and heat. It's a life saver when you are deep in the woods and a storm decides to hit, plus if you live in an area where it get's in the 10's, 20's, 30's, etc...the heat is a must have in my opinion.

Also, If you plan to go through a Honda Dealer...I would suggest getting the platinum plan. All of the services are paid for (they need serviced every 600 miles, so if you plan to put some miles on it....it's worth the extra cost per month). They also prioritize you. Faster service, 2 day turn around, and not having to wait weeks for a service. I live in a town where a lot of people have side by sides, so being able to get it in and back with hardly any wait is a plus.
Perfect, thanks for that information! We live in eastern Tennessee (Cherohala Skyway) and the Cherokee National Forest, so the heat and full hard cab is definitely a must, although I wasn’t planning on spending 35k on a sxs, but it is what it is..!

GoatPackr

WKR
I am looking into buying the same except I am looking at the 5 seater. Did you end up buying it yet? If so would you change anything? How happy are you with it so far? Thanks
I have to sell my jet boat before buying the SxS. Hopefully before fall I'll have it. My rubicon quad was stolen a month ago so I'm needing it for farm chores.
One thing I'm looking at doing is putting some kind of GPS tracker on it so if it's stolen I can find it. Also my kids are getting to the age that they will be able to go out riding. If they have problems back in with no cell signal I will be able to locate them if they are late coming home.

My buddy has the 5 place and he loves it. They are a family of 3 so it works for them.

Kris

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a Pioneer 1000-5 until last October. Got a can am defender XT hd10 and have about 200 miles on it in some challenging terrain. Can am is a much better machine, although for pure grit and capability in very tough stuff, I prefer the Honda. But the lack of dust, quiet, smooth ride, no cab heat, bigger bed, more comfortable seats all make the can am the better rig, for me anyhow.
Honda could fix the pioneer issues, but they won’t.

JWZIMMER

FNG
I ran a mule for several years. I hauled two elk out whole MANY times on cull hunts. They are very capable and mine (kaf620) was nearly stealth quiet. Suspension was nothing like the honda, but there's nothing more stable.

If it's more work than play, mule for sure. If not reverse.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a mule and am constantly being told how quiet it is going through the woods.